What coffee are you drinking?

So do mine, the non-recyclable bags in which they come, are recycled for energy ( I think it’s the least bad option) the grounds decay down, become and come back as tomatoes

My coffee supports a National Park in Mozambique, and education for girls.

N*****s have an appalling reputation on environmental issues. Shame on Mr Clooney for advertising them.

1 Like

I agree with all that, but what I really dislike about those pods is the frothy sludge that floats on top of the coffee, which is quite unlike any proper expresso I’ve ever tasted.

3 Likes

I drink mostly espresso and milk based espresso at home. Normal, black coffee at work.

7 Likes

I remember trying that coffee when I was in Napoli a number of years back. It was very nice espresso. The locals were looking at me oddly as I didn’t drink it with sugar. They were pouring sugar like like it was Builders Tea :rofl:

2 Likes

I get fresh beans from the only local roaster on the island. Like others, I keep them in the freezer and half fill an Illy pot for a couple of days worth of beans. Hand grinder - nothing hipster about it, I just can’t find an electric burr grinder on the island ;).

I’m looking to investing in a better espresso machine. I’ve been looking at the Lelit (small) models.

1 Like

My last visit there was also some years ago - any coffee you try at any random, even the smallest of places tastes just awesome - they say it’s the water?:slight_smile:

1 Like

The’ frothy sludge 'produced by pods is the best bit .

1 Like

Not sludge per se…

What is the crema on coffee?

Crema is one of the most prized components of a well-made espresso. Caramel-colored and creamy in texture, the foamy puff is created when hot water emulsifies coffee bean oils and floats atop the espresso with smooth little bubbles.

2 Likes

For me it is sludge ‘per se’ on the pod coffee I’ve had that differentiates them from so-called crema on an expresso. If others like it that’s fine by me, as long as I don’t have to drink it.

I tend to agree it’s a bit over done on the pods.

Not a fan of espresso. Have a subscription to Square Mile Roasters and use an aeropress or french press.

2 Likes

That looks like a Quick Mill. I’ve had a Verona for about 7 years.

Quick Mill Verona, MK 3 I think, plumbed in. Grinder is a Eureka Speciality 65 which I’d recommend to anyone.

3 Likes

Enjoying my cup of Nespress Starbucks Sumatra Blend in Provençal sunshine .
Used grounds removed from capsule with cheap manual gadget from Dualit .
Grounds go on garden .
Capsules go in dedicated bag for recycling at écopoint at local déchèterie .
Regards

4 Likes

The Lavazza grounds from my coffee maker go into the soil on my friend’s allotment, as they are a good source of compost, mulch or whatever.

1 Like

I like variety, so have a subscription from White Label in Amsterdam North. They send me a random selection and I can’t recall a real miss from them.

Well our coffee drinking habits have had a massive sea change.

Was using Nespresso Creatista Plus machine and their Stockholm Lungo pods. Admittedly, the coffee tasted good and was always consistent, with the pods recycled back to them.

What caused the change was that when we worked it out, we were spending £80 a month on the pods and, we do drink a lot of coffee.

Looked at alternatives and tried the Delonghi Magnifica Evo automatic bean to cup machine, but just hated the coffee it produced.

Now using the Sage Barista Express Impress espresso machine and we’re are very pleased with the results.

Trying loads of different coffee beans to find some that we like. So far, we like the Lavazza Qualita Rossa and Aldi, have some good beans too, their Italian Style and House Blend are quite nice.

Still getting used to heating the milk, but I imagine that’s just practice.

The grounds at the moment are going for composting with the local council, which is then sold to the public at their local amenities sites. Plus it is used by their grounds maintenance teams. When the better weather is here, we can use some in our garden as well.

I know that we’ve got a way to go as there is a multitude of coffee beans out there still to try, but it is fun trying them out on the way.

DG…

9 Likes

Why wait? When incorporating organic matter into soil you need lots of it to get any behefit. Add it to the compost heap all year, or just collect it in an out of the way corner of the garden, and use it as a thick mulch.

1 Like

I have heard that if scattered the grinds are slug repellents.
I mix mine in with the Bokashi / compost. Hens are my slug hunters.

1 Like

I latte to start a wet Sunday morning.

6 Likes