What concerts have you been to in 2019?

@Richard.Dane

Another case of two threads with same (almost) titles.

Yes. I will merge this thread with the long running existing thread.

1 Like

Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra/Michael Tilson Thomas

Program

MAHLER Symphony No. 9

I flew out to NYC to catch this concert at the Carnegie. It was my first time listening to the Vienna Phil live. ( for whatever the reason, they never make it to Chicago)
Interesting thing bout this orchestra right off the bat was I could count female musicians with one hand. I read somewhere that it was recent that women are allowed to play in this orchestra. Suppose they are still minority in the band.

To be honest, it was a bit of a let down due to imbalanced winds ( tho might be where I was sitting ) and still preferred Chicago brass. Plus there were a few missed moment and missed notes, they were not precise as CSO. ( I know I know, technicality isn’t every thing but when a trumpet player miss a note in a hushed opening, it’s kind of destructing ) That said, the final movement with all strings and bass engaged, that famous warm gorgeous tone of Vienna Phil was quite nice.

I’ve seen MTT directs the Mahler 9 with CSO a few years back reminiscing of Mahler himself with large physical movement. On this set, I felt that he seems to be a bit more laid back and less animated.

I can’t say this was the best 9 I have ever heard but sure enjoyed the stay in NY ( it’s been a while ) hanging out with good friends and good food!

1 Like

Recently saw Eddie Reader in the Ulster Hall in Belfast. The music was enjoyable, but as it was the last night of the tour, we got the impression that the motions were being gone through. Did note that each of the musicians were signalling the sound guys to boost their input and Eddie a number of times asking for less. No encore, just thank you and bye.

25th January: To the excellent 229 just by Great Portland Street tube, to see Jah Wobble.

The Wob and his superb Invaders of the Heart are always excellent, but, a soaring “Visions of You” and a far-out “Get Carter” aside, this was a bit one-paced and a bit off-colour.

Jah Wobble’s Invaders of the Heart Setlist 229 The Venue, London, England 2019
Edit this setlist | More Jah Wobble’s Invaders of the Heart setlists
1 Like

The next day it was off to Hackney, to a relatively new venue, Evolutionary Arts Hackney, or eARTh (sic) to see ex-Harmonia and Neu! legend Michael Rother, ably supported by the Messthetics (who were excellent). Rother was his usual modest but brilliant self, and drummer Hans Lampe nailed the metronomic Dingerbeat perfectly.

Michael Rother Setlist Evolutionary Arts Hackney, London, England 2019
Edit this setlist | More Michael Rother setlists
1 Like

wow. he’s still alive!

1 Like

UFO, Birmingham Town Hall, 14th March 2019

50th anniversary tour and Phil Mogg’s last tour as lead singer.
He is now 70 but his voice was spot on still.
There were a couple of young bucks on guitar and bass, but the whole band was really tight as I think theyve been together as a unit for a while now.
All the classics one might expect, a great gig.

Three nights of Dead and Company on the beach at the Barcelo in Cancun (Jan.).

Pretty Woman The Musical - Broadway, NYC

Elton John - Barclay Center

On the horizon…

Florence and the Machine
Bryan Adams
Beck…

More to come…

Ariodante

ARIODANTE: Alice Coote

GINEVRA: Brenda Rae
DALINDA: Heidi Stober
POLINESSO: Iestyn Davies
KING OF SCOTLAND: Kyle Ketelsen
CONDUCTOR: Harry Bicket

Does anyone know this Opera?

I very much enjoyed The Lyric Opera premier Handel’s Ariodante. Gone was the Baroque costume and the time line and scenery are moved to the 70s Scotland. The original production had a ballet sequences throughout the opera but this one replaced with a quaint puppet show and that the story line had a dash of #me too aura ( woman is a victim of chauvinistic abuse and the main villain here is a local preacher ) but ultimately heroine choses her independence. From the program, I understand that the original ending was villain killed and Ariodante and Genevra live happily ever after. Purists might grumble but I thought it was a nice twist.

This is my first time listening to this opera so I have nothing to compare against in terms of this production, ( including female paying a man’s role as well as Castrato voice of the countertenor ) but I very much enjoyed the tunes in this opera. There are several Arias that very memorable and beautiful. Plus the female lead Alice Coote ( here she plays man’s role ) had an iron grip control and power wrapped up in an amazing precision. I still had a bit of problem seeing her as man as in these days, they could have just made them a lesbian couple! That seems to be more natural to me but hey, probably too much for a conservative Chicago audience.

This was a wonderful discovery of Handel’s powerful opera where goes beyond decorative baroque music. The whole performance was over 4 hs. but I was fully engaged at all time. I felt that the music in Ariodante can well stand alone without any visuals or sociopolitical editorials.

Alice Coote as Ariodante ( left ) , Brenda Rae as Genervra ( center ) and Kyle Keetelsen ( right ) who had a wonderfully resonant deep rich voice.

…and countertenor Lestyn Davies played a scumbag priest. Perfect casting!

1 Like

Not exactly a concert but The Thread ballet at Sadler’s Wells with new original music by Vangelis, some of which was very good and some of which went on a bit repititiously to suit the dancing.

8th of February and it was an epic Ese & The Vooduu People night at The White Hart in Crystal Palace. Two storming sets and lots of encores - two hours’ worth in all.

Ese & The Vooduu People Setlist The White Hart, London, England 2019
Edit this setlist | More Ese & The Vooduu People setlists
1 Like

Went to the MOTH Club in Hackney to see up-and-coming Afrobeat funksters Kokoroko launching their debut EP. Much fun was had by all at a sold-out event! And it was VERY hot in there! Not quite as good on record as they are in the flesh, but live they are a thrilling proposition - I can see them being HUGE on the festival circuit.

Roy Harper at the De La Warr Pavilion in Bexhill-on-sea. His 50th anniversary tour (he has been going much longer than that, perhaps he has only been a full-on depressive for 50 years?). Disappointing that he seemed to need a backing group; when we last saw him it was just him, his son and a set list that made you feel more than suicidal. He seemed to have got more cheerful with advancing years; not what I was hoping and expecting. Still, B-on-s the next day made up for that brief moment of almost happiness.

Life is sh1t and then you die.

Interpol - Athens GA USA. Best show I have maybe ever been to.

Drummer from the band moved to Athens a while back, as a favor to someone they did a show at a local CLUB. Only 500 tickets sold, general admission, and the tuning for the small venue was perfect. 2 days later they were at Madison square garden doing a sold out show. Now on a EU tour I believe.

Scott

1 Like

Just got home after seeing The Specials yesterday (Friday) evening and I am drinking mineral water to offset the fluid lost from dancing like a headcase from the first song to the last. I had to buy a dry T-shirt from the merchandising stand because the one I was wearing is completely drenched in sweat. A fair few beers and a good falafal wrap after the event helped to replenish some of the energy I burned dancing and singing along with every single song.
I know that I will be stiff and aching tomorrow, but who cares?
My voice is almost gone from singing out loud and I am happily and completely knackered. My better half drove me home and went to bed as soon as we got home.
I am sitting here with one of our cats and just winding down.
What a great gig.
Looking forward to a Ramones cover band (friends of mine) and Bad Manners in May. B-52s, Dr. Feelgood and various other bands are playing later in the year.
Live music is great and life is good.

2 Likes

Just came back from a great concert with the Bergen Philharmonic and Alice Sara Ott.
Main title Grieg piano concerto and Brahms 1st Symphony, both well executed. I belief Alice was even in better form as a couple of months ago when I saw her in Munich…

3 Likes

John Smith at the Chapel Arts Centre Bath last night, I purchased his last CD not knowing anything about him. Went to see him last night without knowing any of his back catalogue. Came away having had a lovely evening of beautifully performed songs.

7th March: A nice little down and dirty solo gig for my charge (Ese Okorodudu) at the Earl of Derby in Peckham. A good, appreciative crowd and decent beer too.

Setlist: I Don’t Mind - Peace of Mind - I Wanna Be Adored - Fairytale - Police & Thieves - Up In Smoke - Silver Spoon

3 Likes

16th March - off to the 02 Forum in Kentish Town (formerly the much-loved Town & Country Club0 to see an artist I’d previously only had the sketchiest knowledge of, Troy “Trombone Shorty” Andrews and his band Orleans Avenue.

He can certainly play the trombone and sax; can really sing; and has bags of sharp moves and charisma. I’m not 100% sure it was my cup of tea but I’m glad I went - and if the hugely enthusiastic, noisy sell-out crowd was anything to go by, he’s certainly got an audience.

1 Like