What concerts have you been to in 2019?

22nd March , and it was the Fiday Night Is Vooduu Night at the Walcot 1830 in Kennington, here in beautiful Saarf London. An event we held specifically for filming some video clips. A bit sparsely attended, but those who were there enjoyed a stonking set:

Ese & The Vooduu People Setlist The  Walcot 1830, London, England 2019
Edit this setlist | More Ese & The Vooduu People setlists
1 Like

@TheKevster just love her guitar playing - that riff on ‘Up in smoke’ is a killer.

2 Likes

Cheers @AndyP - Cerys Matthews played "Silver Spoon’ on her BBC Radio 2 programme “The Blues Show” last week and said Ese reminded her of Jimi Hendrix. She was over the moon about that comparison, as you can imagine.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s some comparison. Looking forward to the vinyl dropping.

2 Likes

Yes agree there is certainly a Hendrix vibe to her playing. Very much looking forward to the new album.

2 Likes

Entrepreneur Chris Sullivan, who used to write for the music papers in the 1980s, also ran The Wag Club in London and was a member of the group Blue Rondo A La Turk. Nowadays he puts gigs on, including a regular Saturday event at the Acklam Village (just under the Westway, near Ladbroke Grove).

Ese & The Vooduu People played there in February (I missed it, as I was abroad) but returned on March 23rd for an absolutely stonking two-set (one afternoon, the other evening) gig. The band will be back there next weekend!

Ese & The Vooduu People Setlist Acklam Village Market, London, England 2019
1 Like

We are going to see these ladies Thursday night. They are sisters and we have bought music by both individually.

1 Like

A little extension of the topic. I plan to see Eric Clapton, Brothers Osborne, and Willie Nelson this year. Have tickets for all except the last one.

1 Like

Lucy Rose, Liberty Hall, Dublin

2 Likes

@simon.pepper nice one. I lived in Dublin for a few years 2006/8 and went to every venue in the City - some great shows. Not sure Liberty Hall was re-opened then.

The new Lucy Rose release is a beautiful album.

I thought I had been at every venue, from Whelan’s, Field Rooms in the NCH, Vicar Street, Gate, Pod, etc. it was first time in Liberty Hall Theatre. Great location, will look for more.
Yes, strong recommendation for ‘No Words Left’ album.
On Tidal in MQA too

ABC with the Southbank Sinfonia, Brighton Dome 15th April

A selection of the back catalogue in the first half of the show with The Lexicon of Love played in full and in order in the second half of the show. Fantastic stuff with the 30+ piece orchestra providing the icing on the cake

2 Likes

I’ve just got back from seeing Skerryvore, an excellent Scottish band, here in Emsworth.

Mott The Hoople Birmingham yesterday. Once they got the sound right after half an hour it was fantastic. All the old classics.
Quite a mature audience!

1 Like

March 26th - off to Café Oto in dalston for an evening of Anatolian Turkish jazz (sort of), as part of the Turquazz Festival.

The Origins are a six-piece band led by bass player Cem Tuncer, with trumpet player Barış Demirel, organist/pianist/synth player Tolga Zafer Özdemir and three other musicians playing a range of unusual instruments, including the Anatolian Kamancheh, the Kopuz (lute), kanun, clarinet, kaval, duduk, bendir and oud.

A stunning evening.

It’s Saturday 30th/Sunday 31st March: to the Numidie Bar in Crystal Palace to see Ese & The Vooduu People perform a late-night set.

Ese & The Vooduu People Setlist Numidie, Crystal Palace, England 2019

6th April - me, my buddy Lindsay and some other ageing Todd freaks journeyed to the Hammersmith Apollo to see the great man on the first UK show of his 2019 “The Individualist” tour. I’ve seen the Runt many times over the years, but this show, a survey of his 50 year career, with plentty of deep cuts to satisfy devotees, was just about the best I’ve ever seen him. Given that he’s 70, his voice is in remarkable shape.

Todd Rundgren Setlist Eventim Apollo, London, England 2019, The Individualist Tour
Edit this setlist | More Todd Rundgren setlists
3 Likes

@thekevster I’ve been away is the new album out yet?

Ese’s LP @AndyP? Should be taking delivery on Monday! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yes Ese (not Todd although that would be nice). Thanks I’ll keep my eyes open.

1 Like