What did Barry Manilow do to deserve this

:flushed::rofl::rofl::joy:

1 Like

I’ve started to think about some albums I actually own that might do the trick…!

Likewise…I love Ornette Coleman but Free Jazz could clear a room of non-fans. Personally, I think the album is brilliant.

1 Like

If they were serious about clearing any demo they would hire me to sing along to anything………my wife can fully recommend😉

4 Likes

Interestingly, Howard Stern (a long-time US based radio “shock jock”) did a radio skit about 10 years before that movie came out, where aliens attacked the Earth and ultimately were repelled by Slim Whitman music. Too much of a coincidence for the movie writers to not have known.

‘The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles and Fripp’.
(A pre- King Crimson album). I’m sure I’ve only played in once, and have no plans to do so again. I think I read, somewhere, that it had worldwide sales of around 600. (There’s very little in the content to hint an the wealth of interesting stuff that was to come - though even KC’s best music might be analogous to Joaquin’s Coleman example.

I struggle a bit with Stockhausen (e.g. Ceylon and Bird of Passage - another of my collection that hasn’t seen the turntable in over 40 years!) and suspect others might too. Who was the famous classical conductor who, when an interview strayed onto ‘modern music’, was asked if he’d ever conducted Stockhausen - and replied ‘No, but I think I trod in some once’?

Twelve-tone music seems discordant to many - could Schoenberg be a useful weapon for crowd dispersal?

Ooh, never heard of that. Sounds like something for a listen - I wonder how like early KC (I only liked their Sinfield days)

I think it’s funny and not taken too seriously, Barry’s probably glad to have some publicity. Don’t think it’s any different than what’s his name threatening to release new music in response to Spotify.

Agree with Tony some folk need to chill out a little, it’s a pretty fcked up if we can’t have a laugh.

2 Likes

Interesting how late in his career he (Sinfield) wrote songs for people as diverse as Bucks Fizz, Five Star and Celine Dior. Not very rock’n’roll but, hey, it pays the bills!

Stockhausen comment is attributed to Thomas Beecham, but according to Norman Lebrecht he probably didn’t say it.

Nothing like early KC (sadly!). Interesting, and reminiscent of a few other things of its time (unlike KC’s Court which blazed a way for others to follow), but not sure I like it enough to bother with. Maybe I’ll have a better listen sone time to decide.

Getting back to the OPs original question this guy would get me out of anywhere extremely quick.

3 Likes

Yes Daddy.

1 Like

I’m a Classical guy, but I think for most people a disc of Opera soprano arias would be enough to have then sprinting home in no time at all.

This also works for plague control.

1 Like

A colleague and now friend of me once said that his music teacher insisted that he’d only sings in case of self-defense.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.