What does Naim do to help reduce CO2 emissions?

I have started turning all my kit off when not in use and some off my kit is happy with that as it only takes 10 minutes for it to warm up and be at its best.
Going forward if I change anything else then this will be on the list of things I will want as leaving kit on 24 / 7 and it taking days to warm up, is just wrong these days as you wouldn’t be very happy if you had to leave all the lights on in the house 24 / 7 because they take 3 days to get bright would you and hifi needs to be the same

3 Likes

Are you with a sustainable electricity supplier? That will make an even bigger difference and immediately. Not to mention lifestyle changes of where we work, how and whether we commute, what we eat, how hot we heat our houses, who we bank with etc.

But let’s face it, all sorts of equipment sounds better if you leave it always on and warm. If you don’t want to do that, switch it off. It’s not as if it will sound utterly disgusting after all.

Rather missing the point. If it could be done it would. It’s not a philosophy it’s a series of findings.If you want a big box integrated all-in-one, buy one. Sadly, however, it won’t sound like Naim separates. Believe me: I’ve tried!

1 Like

Hmm, I know what you mean but not sure I buy it.

Vinyl is my drug of choice, but frankly can we justify the manufacture of new records?

1 Like

So I finally got round to measuring the standby draw of my Nait XS2 and it’s about 10W. If I leave it on all year that 87kWh which is about 20kg of CO2 based on the average mix of UK generation. That’s about 71 miles in the car or 400 grams of beef. TIL I really need to eat less beef!

Skipping meals helps you lose weight I guess.

:wink:

D’oh damn auto speel cheeker

The SMPS is very low power. It has to be in order to comply with EU standby power regulations, so it cannot provide enough power for either a USB drive or the built in server. So if either of these are running the main PSU has to keep running.

Sure Chris, I see that, however firstly the main NDX 2 page does not have any conditions to network standby mode, but also I don’t understand why with Server Mode Off does it still need to supply power to the USB device. Presumably it’s just a simple firmware logic change to save 130KWh per year for everyone that has a USB device plugged in. I guess this is also the same for most of the new Naim Streamers, so does add up.

Of course I might be missing a very good reason why it needs to stayed powered.

Apparently the internet currently generates anywhere between 2 and 3 percent of global CO2 emissions , on par with global aviation emissions . Having said that I am sure our forum is only a tiny tiny fraction of that ( apart from some cable threads which might have taken a whole power station to keep running).

2 Likes

The USB drive keeps it powered up because otherwise the files would need to be rescanned before they become visible which can take a while. The built in UPnP server which scans them and makes them available over your network also needs to be powered up otherwise when a client that wants access to them over your network, it can’t see them.
So the simple solution is to keep them powered up by the main PSU. If the delay wouldn’t bother you then yes, you might prefer the option to shut down the PSU. In the meantime you need to remove the USB drive.

More than happy for a lack of a printed manual but please provide a sensible comprehensive PDF we can read from one end to the other in the relevant language. The web based systems are a chore to say the least.

2 Likes

Keeping stuff powered up minimally is actually greener in most cases than full off. The increase rate in failure on power on from cold for anything generates a huge amount of carbon and resource consumption by way of transportation to and from a point of repair and possible manufacture demand of a new appliance and disposal of an old one. Just one appliance out of many needing repair/replacement will generate more impact than several appliances powered on in standby for a decade.

Always a fine balancing act.

I was surprised by how much misinformation is out there too. Like quotes on how much power is wasted a year by leaving your phone charger plugged in. I put a wattmeter on ever single wallwart smps a few months back. Every single one pulls 0.00w when not connected to it’s respective phone/tablet/device.

I love this thread though. It is a bit risque because areas of CSR, especially around manufacturing locations can be viewed as touching on politics which is a no go area. And yet, as customers I feel we have a right to ask some pointy questions. I just don’t know how to frame some CSR related questions without falling foul of forum rules… which seems overly convenient if you’re Naim and don’t want those topics to have a light shed on them.

One of the drivers of CO2 emissions is of course around where a product is made and the transportation to get it to the market where it is bought. For example a product made in China and bought in Europe is going to consume energy to get it here. Also the marginal energy use in China is produced from coal , whereas in the UK it is natural gas. So one way to reduce CO2 is to make the product ( or as much of it as possible) here. That begs the question of how much extra consumers are then prepared to pay for their Muso or Qb as it is likely to be more expensive .

Actually the percetage of renewables in the mix is increasing nicely… not as fast as it could, of course…

There have been a number of days in the UK where the total electricity production was from renewables so we are very quickly heading to a good place. There are also a large number of mega wind power arrays in the North Sea which are in development which will radically change the position in the next 2-5 years.

There is a fundamental problem with ‘renewables’ UK, they will always be well short of load requirements at night with low wind conditions & their will always be a need for alternatives in these conditions.
Nuclear is not an alternative as it takes many hours to raise output, plus we don’t & won’t have enough capacity even with future new plant plans …
Hydro is also very limited, a shame but its what it is & sea powered hydro can be very costly.
Bottom line is we will be very dependant on gas for many years.

You can do all sorts of things with excess production, like pumping water up a hill to drive a turbine coming back down when you need it (not to mention conventional batteries)

but we do - the problem now is that each new scheme that is proposed is rejected as being uneconomical - several bay blocking proposals have been rejected because of the impact on nature.
Perhaps the only way forward is mass sterilization of school kids as they enter breeding capability.
If each person breeds one less human they will save more CO2 than driving an electric car.