What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

I dunno, 42K to change a light bulb…

2 Likes

Yeah, when I watched it I did think I’ll never grumble again about getting my step ladder to change a bulb

1 Like

Point Blank (1967)

Lee Marvin in an early John Boorman film. Some nice psychedelic scenes.

9 Likes

Superb film.

1 Like

Watched this the other day too. Great suspense film and excellent photographic scenes

1 Like

Cheating a little as I havent just watched, I’ve seen it before but posting as a recomendation if anyones interested.
On iplayer from tonight, well worth a watch imo

1 Like

Was imagining a film about the glories of cinema based on the publicity but covers some dark subject matter with a light touch… worth making time for.

Saw that couple of years ago. Your recommendation is endorsed,Sir.

1 Like
1 Like

Bram Stokers Dracula. 1992.

Love this one. Love Keanu’s dodgy English accent. The soundtrack is spot on. Winona is smokin hot.
Everything is just there for a silly camp vamp experience.

6 Likes

Great doc on Disney+ by Mary McCartney, with Macca, Ringo, Cliff, Rog, Dave, Nick, Elton, Page, John Williams, Giles Martin [no Kate Bush though] plus loads of splendid archive footage (De Pre, Elgar, Fabs, Fela Kuti, Martin père etc).

3 Likes

Shabba :grinning:

5 Likes
3 Likes

From 1966, when Roman Polanski was seen as one of the world’s most exciting new film-makers, rather than for forcing himself on young girls. Cul-de-Sac is an often baffling, Beckettian tale of two escaped convicts’ meeting with a married couple. Beautifully made, it was shot on Holy Island. Donald Pleasance and Françoise Dorléac star.

3 Likes

William Friedkin’s classic 1971 cop thriller. Gene Hackman, as ‘Popeye’ Doyle, supported by Roy Scheider and Fernando Rey as the villain, head a superlative cast. Brilliantly directed and edited, with that car chase, it’s also a portrait of 1970s New York on the brink of collapse: grimy, gritty, blighted by crime and decay, and fast running out of money.

12 Likes

Followed by French Connection II (1975) ? - at 2 hours it has its moments but lacks the pace of The French Connection.

Anything by Gene Hackman is worth a watch. Around the period of The French Connection he made some classics - Prime Cut, Cisco Pike and my favourite Night Moves.

3 Likes

And of course, Coppola’s The Conversation in 1974.

7 Likes

Interesting documentary film about the 60 year history of Nottingham’s lauded V Rocket Sound System.
Mostly an oral history, would have been made better if there was some professional film of the Sound in action instead of the grainy mobile phone footage that can be found on Youtube. Essential viewing for anyone interested in JA Music & Sound System culture nonetheless

@dave-marshall @mbear

:heart:

2 Likes

Great shout, Dread, I’ll be checking that one out, deffo. :+1:

1 Like

Its more about Dance Hall and Sound clash etc with the family who run the sound talking about their history and achievements with contributions from King Jammy and rival sounds like Saxon.
Its Dance Hall and Sound Clash business rather than my preferred Roots, Culture & Dub sounds but still essential viewing

1 Like