What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

Arrived today. In my top 5 favourite movies of all time. I like it so much, I ration it’s viewing.

7 Likes

Taking it off boss.

3 Likes

After reading Post Captain.

5 Likes

I loved the Aubrey/Maturin series of books and was surprised at how much I enjoyed the film too.

Of course the opening scene was often used by Naim for AV demos as it was not only a great test of contrast but also of surround effects.

2 Likes

I have periods of film withdrawal and watch nothing at all.
So suitably refreshed …

Werner Herzog’s Bad Lieutenant… Port of call New Orleans.

A quite demented Police Officer with both a growing drug and gambling habits uses his position to try and get himself out of a mess whilst digging even bigger holes for himself.
A fine performance by Nicholas Cage. Val Kilmer appears.
I couldn’t say it’s a film for those who might think the world a gentle and romantic place. You won’t get a smile out of this one.

On Prime. But I watched on bluray.

Then of course I had to re watch Harvey Keitel’s Bad Lieutenant which is probably even more….

2 Likes

As we are approaching Easter:

Ben Hur (1959)

Brilliant film with a superb script & soundtrack; and THAT chariot race.

M

3 Likes

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. A Michael Cimino buddy caper.
Although he could be a problem to studios(and audiences ) later this shows he could knock out a decent adventure. Probably working on Magnum series with Clint helped.
Clint, Jeff Bridges and George Kennedy in a classy bank robbery.
On Prime but not a bluray quality print.

4 Likes

Remember the first time I saw it as a kid and loved it until the ending. Still don’t like the end.

The last time I saw it I had to search for The Big Lebowski and watch that right after!

1 Like

Spoor is a 2017 Polish crime film adapted from the novel Drive Your Plough Over the Bones of the Dead by Olga Tokarczuk.

1 Like

Triangle Of Sadness

Brilliantly funny, if a little overlong, polemical satire on greed, power and the super rich.
Just dont watch it while eating your tea!

4 Likes

Thats such a great film, still cracks me up :grin:

1 Like

I really enjoyed this film. Essentially it’s a film about how the way we value ourselves and others has become so distorted, where greed, narcissism and self-promotion (particularly online) have become the vacuous norm. It can be quite excruciating at times, but the film has fun, especially in the third act…

1 Like

Consider it a service. I have just helped you not waste 3 or more hours of your life. No one tries or really bothers. The odd appearance is enjoyable but…
Cinematic Polyfilla. With apologies to the brand.

On Prime…

1 Like

Watched Operation Fortune last night and enjoyed it. That said, I like most Guy Ritchie movies and will always think of Jason Statham as ‘Turkish’, no matter how many bigger profile movies he’s been in.

2 Likes

Mrs Dread’s choice she’s a fan.

I enjoyed it too, although I’m not particularly a fan and know very little about Whitney Houston so cant say how accurate a depiction it is, but its very well played imo with slick production.

Oh boy!

The next Winding Refn on from the universally admired Drive.
He is always trying something different. This is a slow motion,but it’s beautifully lit, incredibly violent story of a very broken family searching for retribution but always out gunned (sliced) by the avenging mysterious police officer Chang.
I hadn’t watched it for years. I still don’t understand it all but at my age I am always trying to comprehend the world.Art is my window.

Kristin Scott is the true mother from hell.

Binge watched all three episodes last night but it left me feeling a bit uneasy about a drama which ultimately is a form of entertainment and admittedly was perversely compelling viewing. I kept thinking how the relatives must feel at their grief being turned into prime time TV.

The dramatisation does at least put some focus on the victims rather than the press coverage of the time that barely considered them at all. Its also a sad indictment of the dark pernicious side of social media where someone as nasty as Raoul Moat could inexplicably be regarded to many as some kind of folk hero who was/is celebrated by a significant number of warped minded people.

5 Likes

A splendid mixture of comic book,mad max and adolescent humour. The criminals have stolen all the clean water and the population want it back ……so a contemporary feel. Might well have had a more revolutionary story but lined in by the producers.

Malcom McDowell and Naomi Watts take part.
Sure it’s not to the highest cgi standards. As the mutant kangaroos are battling you can see the harness ropes etc.

I have invested in a couple of Tank Girl comics.

On Prime

7 Likes

“The smell of racial hatred”

So sadly still very pungent in 2023

:heart:

Just enjoyed this BBC doc on the great Little Richard, respect due!

:heart:

1 Like