What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

Yep, Carry on Abroad was filmed in Bagshot, Slough and Pinewood!

2 Likes

Follow that Camel and some of the Elsbels scenes in Abroad were filmed at Camber Sands in Sussex!

3 Likes

3 Likes

Like I said, we started from the peak going downhill. Big mistake, particularly in flip flops! :joy:

1 Like

Old age and infirmity dictates that I watch a lot of films…
Best this week by far

Directed by Wyler in 1939 so I might well have watched it with dad in the smokey Regent after the war.
Our handsome hero on his way to California becomes involved in the Texas range wars. He is almost eclipsed by Walter Brennan acting out the ledgend of Judge Roy Bean.
IMG_1931

Beautifully rendered monochrome print in its proper format.
Music by Dimitri Tiomkin.
Amazon Prime.

3 Likes

After an insane week dealing with all sorts of weird stuff including trying to deal with people who profess to be forward thinking, rational grown ups from this planet but I’m not so sure, I felt the need to ground myself in some common sense logic and reasoned, coherent wisdom with a sense of proportion

Consider the lilies and all that…

Still not sure if a better movie has ever been made.

12 Likes

“From now on I want you all to call me Loretta.”
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Brilliant scene,just brilliant!

7 Likes

Prophetic as ever

3 Likes

It was the first of the ‘three peak challenge’ I did years ago, just managing to get the lot done in under 24 hours. I was bloody fit then but was still knackered coming down from the Ben :rofl:

1 Like

One of my favourite movies of all time. Never seems to age and never fails to make me laugh out loud. The stoning scene is genius.

4 Likes

I love the…“Are you the Peoples Popular Front of Judea?”
“F*ck off!..were the Judean Peoples Popular Front!”

So very spot on from my experience of sectarian political groups with similar names that hate each other.

3 Likes

…Look! Aaaah! Ohhhhh! Ohhhhhh!
He has given us a sign!
He has given us…His shoe!
The shoe is the sign. Let us follow His example.
SPIKE: What?
Let us, like Him, hold up one shoe and let the other be upon our foot, for this is His sign, that all who follow Him shall do likewise.
Yes.
No. No, no. The shoe is a sign that we must gather shoes together in abundance.
Cast off the shoes! Follow the Gourd!
SPIKE: What?
No! Let us gather shoes together!
Yes.
Let me!
Get off!
No, no! It is a sign that, like Him, we must think not of the things of the body, but of the face and head!
Give me your shoe!
Get off!
Follow the Gourd! The Holy Gourd of Jerusalem!
The Gourd!
Hold up the sandal, as He has commanded us!
It is a shoe! It is a shoe!
It’s a sandal!
No, it isn’t!
Cast it away!
Put it on!
And clear off!
Take the shoes and follow Him!
Come all ye who call yourself Gourdenes!
SPIKE: Stop! Stop! Stop, I say! Stop! Let us-- let us pray.
Yea, He cometh to us, like the seed to the grain.

5 Likes

Camembert and the Black Fingernail in the 'arber

2 Likes

1 Like

Terminator Dark Fate 4k Blu-ray last night. I’ve seen it before at the cinema and also on blu-ray but it seemed a good choice to employ the SVS SB3000 and PB3000 subs I have in on evaluation at the moment! I must say I really enjoyed having Linda Hamilton back in her role…

I’m super impressed with the Emotiva MR1 AV Amp I have in too at present, the sound steering in particular seems much better than it was on my Pioneer SC-LX73 which was a great amp but just couldn’t handle 4k, Atmos or HDR. I use a Pre-out connection to drive the front left and right with the Naim amps of course.

I have Tenet lined up for tonight also in 4K but might fall back on something else if it doesn’t grab me. I watched the first 20 mins or so a few days ago and can’t say I found it too inspiring. I feel like Christopher Nolan made one great masterpiece (Interstellar) and everything else he’s made since tends to be a bit overblown, overcomplicated and pretentious. I’ve yet to see Oppenheimer though and have high hopes for that.

The SB3000 is pretty compact and easy to accomodate but the PB3000 is seriously huge and even though it goes lower and with more force I’m not sure I really want something quite that big in the room! SB3000 has the benefit of being more agile too. I need to try the REL Predator HT1510 before making a decision but I’m starting to feel like 2x SB3000’s or Predator’s would be the right way to go.

JonathanG

3 Likes

Very crude - pun unintended. I could hardly finish it, but not the usual Marvel Comics Derivatives…

81PeeL7XYtL.AC_UY436_QL65

The absolutely lovely film Living, starring the ever watchable Bill Nighy as a man discovering his terminal illness, causing him to reflect on his current life. The film is a great evocation of the era & ‘Englishness’ shall we say. A story well told, the music very restrained and an emotional ending with Vaughan Williams to support the finale - tears. Recommended.

7 Likes

Alastair Sim in fine form with multi facet personalities.
Genius of expression. :rofl:

7 Likes

There was quite a buzz about this film when it first came out as an early teenager and dont think I’ve seen it since.
So, an interesting curio from back in the day. A dystopian future where peoples lives are controlled by corporations, the violent sport of Rollerball given to the masses as a mind numbing distraction.
James Caan as Jonathon E, the leading Rollerball player who refuses to retire when told by the energy corporation, so engineer the game to kill him off.
Its on Freevee. Not sure if its the 4K UHD print its a tad grainy in places but mostly OK

6 Likes

Series 1 & 2.

2 Likes