What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

Just so love Iggy. Undoubtedly the godfather of Punk imo. And if not he would have made a great stand up comedian I reckon, I only have to look, hear that drawl with his impish smile and I’m smiling along too and feeling good.

2 Likes

Enjoyed this journey into the psyche of Snooker master Ronnie O’sullivan.

1 Like

The Outsiders The Complete Novel

Francis Ford Coppola’s 1983 film adaptation of a 1967 novel by SE Hinton. Featuring a good cast of youthfull’s at the time including Emilio Estevez, Tom Cruise, Patrick Swaze, Matt Dillion, Rob Lowe, Ralph Macchio, Thomas Howell and a cameo by Tom Waits.
Hard to believe that the novel was, maybe still is, banned in some schools for its depiction of delinquent gang life.
Great rock n roll soundtrack too…

3 Likes

Stephen King Cats Eye 4k restoration

Looking back to the early eighties this seems to have been a particularly memorable period for films. Including this Stephen King triology of strange stories linked by a roaming cat.
The best of them for me being James Wood’s signing up to “Quitters” a bizarrely extreme stop smoking organisation.

1 Like

1948 film adaptation of the Terence Rattigan play.
Amusing to watch back as a timepiece reflecting middle and upper class mores as much as the central story about a Naval cadet forced out on the accusation of stealing a postal order.

Despite seeing the film many times over the years I didnt realise that its based on a real case.
From Wikipedia;

The play was inspired by an actual event, which set a legal precedent: the case of Stonyhurst College alumnus George Archer-Shee, a cadet at Osborne in 1908, who was accused of stealing a postal order from a fellow cadet. His elder brother, Major Martin Archer-Shee, was convinced of his innocence and persuaded his father (also called Martin) to engage lawyers. The most respected barrister of the day, Sir Edward Carson, was also persuaded of his innocence and insisted on the case coming to court. On the fourth day of the trial, the Solicitor General, Sir Rufus Isaacs, accepted that Archer-Shee was innocent, and ultimately the family was paid compensation.

2 Likes

Superb UHD restoration of David Lynch’s 1980 (again!) Bio drama on the life of Joseph (John in the film for some reason) Merrick.
A strong cast including Anthony Hopkins and an unrecognisable John Hurt as Merrick.

Amusing to know The Elephant Man was produced by Mel Brooks, and I cant help wonder what he would have done with the story had he turned it into a brilliantly mad bonkers spoof like Young Frankenstein.

Young_Frankenstein_movie_poster

5 Likes

Dead Ringers. Not the Cronnenberg film but a 6 parter on Prime and worthy of a mention aside from The what’s on tv thread.

Rachel Weisz plays both clinician sisters aiming to open a berthing centre for women and the problems of financing it. One a coke sniffing man eater the other, whilst avoiding men, hoping to become pregnant.

Not the usual masculine manny type of fare but well worth it for some fine acting by our star and the opportunity for various directors to show their paces.

There will be blood…… and more.

1 Like

9 Likes

Anyone tried the 4K releases of The Three/Four Musketeers?

Clearly wonderful movies and perhaps ideal visually for a sharp makeover but wanted to ask the question before shelling out forty quid…

The Worlds Fastest Indian

The true story of Bert Munro who in the late sixties took his seemingly old banger of a 1920’s Indian Scout motorbike from New Zealand to the Bonneville Salt flats in the US and broke the land speed record.
Its great fun, entertaining and very funny

e5ec88567c891ae521fb9f6acb723738db4738a95396f541d5c7a098f7d24521.UY500_UX667_RI_TTW

7 Likes

4 Likes

Last night I finished watching the last of the Worricker Trilogy - Salting the Battlefield.

I enjoyed this entire trilogy, which I missed when it originally aired on the BBC. Also nice to see the late Michael Gambon in the first film, Page Eight.

6 Likes

The story of Irish American Danny Greene who grew up in Cleveland surrounded by Mafia influence and rises to notoriety as a corrupt union leader. Resisting Mafia attempts to take control of his activities he sparks a literally explosive war between Mafia familys trying to kill him, amazingly surviving several attempts. The war ultimately pretty much wiped out the Mafia existence in Cleveland.

Apparently this was slated by some critics accusing the film of being a rip off of Goodfella’s. I think thats a bit unfair, there both true stories about two different people, Goodfellas is about Henry Hill and his falling out with the mob and inevitably has similarities with the story of Danny Greene.
Is it as good as Goodfellas? Of course not but its still a fairly serviceable and watchable gangster film with the exception of Vinnie Jones and his dodgy Irish accent

2 Likes

The 24th

Dramatisation of the so called Houston Riot in 1917. Suffering appalling racial abuse and violence from the White Houston Police Force and local Population, one night in fear for their lives the all black 24th Infantry marched into Houston and fought back with deadly force. The subsequent court martial being the largest murder trial in American history.

Totally agree Richard - the Worricker trilogy is superb isn’t it? I do love Bill Nighy in those sort of roles as that slightly cynical, world weary, somewhat stiff upper class Brit! It was a particular joy to see him with Helena Bonham Carter too.

I watched the remake of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo with Daniel Craig this afternoon and it was good, but not a patch on the expanded edition of the original which I have on blu-ray with Noomi Rapace…

JonathanG

Casablanca. The original old black and white. I’ve got a good copy of it and our eldest daughter had never seen it and always wanted to.
My wife and I hadn’t seen it for probably 20 years. A very enjoyable watch and quite humorous in places. Our daughter was very impressed.

2 Likes

A decent drama

2 Likes

Belfast - streamed via Netflix. Kenneth Branagh’s semi-autobiographical take on his early years in Belfast. I thought this was interesting, some heartfelt nostalgia fuelled moments balanced in stark contrast to the troubles the city endured. I really identified with some of his childhood memories - Thunderbirds toys & costume, the Matchbox Collectors Carry Case and especially the wonderful Chitty Chitty Bang Bang cinema sequence, as this was the first movie I ever saw on the big screen with my mum & dad - a little dust in the eye during that sequence. Nothing earth shattering or ground breaking, but it won me over as there’s a lot of love in this film. A great cast too (especially Caitriona Balfe as Branagh’s mum). Highly recommend if you are a 60s or a 70s child.

11 Likes

“It’s biological” :joy: :joy:

3 Likes