What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

I watched Sergio Leone’s “Once upon a time in America” yesterday; the full 4 hour version.
It is a great movie all around! Very poetic and violent at the same time.

7 Likes

The Pianist - 4k blu ray

Another film that the picture is amazing in 4k. Great film and one that realistically takes you into WWII

3 Likes

IMG_2104

Watched last night on Freevee/Prime.

Hackman and Freeman spar well against each other. Worth watching for their acting skill.

But when we get to the end you might like me say… ‘Yeah but’. ‘Does that honestly make much sense. Why have you lead me down this path and abandoned me’

Ah well. Can’t win ‘em all.

Marlowe

This had everything going for it - cast, director (Neil Jordan), setting. But ends up being very disappointing.

2 Likes

Agreed. Disappointed.

1 Like

The Wicker Man: Via BBC iPlayer. Not seen this in ages and found it on the BBC site when perusing their library over the weekend. The film has obviously dated, but it still has the power to shock, despite ‘that ending’ being so widely known and woven into film culture, and undoubtedly a defining moment in cinema. Also, great seeing Christopher Lee doing his Captain Sinister looming menace thang - sans fangs & cape for once. Although I do think I’m more scared of Lord Summerisle’s haircut than Edward WoodWoodWood’s / Howie’s fate. Powerful stuff…

Christopher Lee The Wicker Man

5 Likes

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny on Disney+

Panned (unfairly imo) by the critics when it came out but a really enjoyable movie nonetheless.

There is also a great scene where Indy gets rudely awoken by his neighbour playing Magical Mystery Tour. The drums on the intro absolutely thump!

1 Like

A bit underwhelming. Had expected more of this movie. Not very compelling,basically the well known story of Napoleon’s battles told in chronological order. The budget shows but that’s about it. Ridley Scott could have done better I think.

1 Like

I spent last night in howls of laughter watching this. I’ve seen it many times over the years but it has to be 10 years or so since i last watched it. This has to be a defo watch for those of a certain age and may well still be relevant to todays younger generation as well.

3 Likes

There’s a blast from the past.

Just watched “Echo in the Canyon” - a documentary movie about the history of this remarkable musical community in the 1960’s and 1970’s fronted by Bob Dylan’s son. Oh wow - is this a superb documentary with contributions from The Byrds, Crosby Stills and Nash, The Beach Boys, Ringo, Clapton etc etc… Sublime music, a fascinating tale - I think I just found the place on earth my soul would most like to live!!

Unmissable - I’m not kidding!!

JonathanG (available on all good streaming platforms etc)

2 Likes

They made some wonderful films in the Film 4 series.

Colin Blakely gives a super performance in the Red Monarch.

3 Likes

Following last night’s viewing it had to be this…

9 Likes

IMG_3065

Color out of space. 2019.

A big fan of Nicolas Cage and a fan of Lovecraftian films, so I had no trouble thoroughly enjoying this adulterated version.
Even the worst Nicolas cage movies I can find some weird existential satisfaction from.
On a scale of Cage 0: dull and stupid - to Cage 11: Bat sh1t crazy. This is up there with the bats.

5 Likes

Bat sh1t crazy. Is that a James Cleverly grading system?

Working up an hmv blu ray order so I have tucked this one in.
I enjoy Cage but there have been a lot recently.

Cinema Paradiso have just raised their prices again. As I am quite happy with Bluray it is often less expensive to purchase and if not a keeper hand to the hospice shop.

Cry Macho. I watched it on Prime.

It’s a little bit slow but whadya expect at 91.

I enjoyed it,but then I am nearly as old as Clint.

With Brian Glover, a man whose life story is as good as any film.
For years he lived a double life, during day time he was Mr Glover the French teacher and bynight he was Leon Arris “ the man from Paris” .

The lives were designed not to come together and. He avoided TV appearances and worked the independent circuit, then when Kes was made into a film, it was written by another teacher at the school who knew of his “ secret identity” and the part was written for him.

The only man who wrestled for what is now WWE and acted for the RSC on the same day

1 Like

Great movie with a very nice soundtrack by John Williams.

7 Likes

Watched “NYAD” last evening with my wife starring Annette Bening and Jodie Foster. Story of NYAD five attempts to swim from Cuba to Key West, with the 5th attempt at the age of 64 being successful.

Uplifting and enjoyable film! Truly a remarkable feat and inspirational for all and especially for the senior citizen crowd. A demonstration that we may still have enough mental and physical capabilities to reach beyond what we belief we can do as we age.

9 Likes

Suitably odd adaptation of lewis carroll’s nonsense poem of the same name.