What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

Early Jamie Lee up against Ron Silver as an unusual and persistant murderous adversary. Kathryn Bigelow directs.
Good but perhaps unlikely story with decent print and sound.
Prime.

3 Likes

Adam Driver does an excellent job portraying Enzo Ferrari but the real star for me was Penelop Cruz as his wife Laura.
Found it a very entertaining movie.
Movie is set around the 1957 Mille Miglia that ended in a terrible disaster. But mainly addresses the relations between Ferrari and his wife and mistress and hard times his company was going through at that time.
Can recommend it.

3 Likes

Fully agree, a good film.
It actually has very little racing, with the focus on their relationship, so I do wonder if the title might even put some people off watching it, expecting it to be another Le Mans or Grand Prix.

8 Likes

Watched the first 3 movies. I grew up watching the original series so I’m going to enjoy whatever they show. However, apart from the 7 main characters, I can’t believe how bad the acting is with all the others. Not a lot happens in these first 3. lots of talk, but little action. Also, the picture quality is probably the worst I’ve seen on 4k Blu ray.

Bit naff really, but still enjoyed them.

1 Like

I do enjoy Wrath of Khan. The space battles have been overtaken by modern special effects, but there is still some joy in the heightened emotions of the leads.

The original movie was a misstep by Wise, a very ponderous film that was an extended remake of an original episode.

I never enjoy searching for Spock, just too contrived. But some great scene chewing by Christopher Lloyd.

…and some great music.

For me the best films in the series are:

First Contact;
Wrath of Khan;
The Undiscovered Country; and
The Voyage Home.

4 Likes

I have never read a Thomas Wolfe novel but I do enjoy a wordy film,well acted about almost any true problem. It should help with the understanding of life.

Troubles between young Thom.and his editor. An overbearing,self congratulatory genius can be such a pain.

Hemingway and Scott Fitzgerald pop up.

On Prime.

Tells the story of Bernie Jordan,a WW2 veteran that “escaped” the old folks care home to attend the 70th anniversery of D-day in France. A movie like only the Brits can make. Highly recommended.

2 Likes

Face/Off
IMG_2157

A John Woo Hollywood production.

Travolta has to take on Cage’s personality and face in order to stop the biological bomb disaster.
Great to see our two stars sparring whilst pretending to be each other.
Woo does like explosions and plenty of violence.
Ridiculous and wonderful.
Bluray purchase.

4 Likes

This weekend we watched The Lost King on DVD, courtesy of Cinemaparadiso. A really lovely film that tells the story of Philippa Langley and her battle against all the odds to search and ultimately find the buried remains of Richard III. Really enjoyable, and recommended.

2 Likes

Humanoids from the Deep. 1980.

Schlock horror. When B movies meant- Blood, Beasts and Boobies.

Actually more gruesome and engaging than it has any right to.

4 Likes

I saw this movie as a teenager. I loved it for the obvious reasons…

1 Like

Dinner time viewing and it’s on Prime.

That looks a wonderful bit of tat.

Thanks.

1 Like

First Contact is by far the best , last night it was a choice between Capt. Picard v 007 in Skyfall

Mr Bond won.

1 Like

Double bill tonight.

Humanoids from the deep was delicious.
And then from under the blanket I watched

Ethan Hawke and a delightfully androgynous Sarah Snook in a tale of time travel and predestination. From a Heinlin short story.

I think I managed to get the time line straight. Wikipedia confirms my belief.

Australian production.

3 Likes

I spent yesterday afternoon and evening binge watching this whole series. I did watch it when it first came out on TV, but Blu-ray and 5.1 DTS moved it up another notch. In my mind THE best WW2 series EVER made and absolutely stands the test of time. An historically accurate series that pulls no punches, is beautifully filmed, is acted with consummate professionalism and at the same time is very upsetting.

12 Likes

Recorded on my player from a while back: Stan & Ollie which was a very touching and well told story of their latter years & their time in the UK. I thought Steve Coogan & John C Reilly were so accurate in their portrayal.

15 Likes

And one from Amazon Prime, Saltburn. I was keen to watch this after all the recent ‘fuss’ - a portrait of another world (certainly to me but apologies to any forumites who may have such stately homes :innocent:). I did enjoy it and it kept me interested throughout - just beware anyone eyeing up your bathwater & certainly, when you are buried, make sure that you are buried deep enough! I really enjoyed all the characters (not sure if ‘enjoyed’ is the correct word but you know what I mean).

710CZ66ebzL.AC_UY436_QL65

3 Likes

1 Like

So why has John Goodman secreted our heroine Mary Elizabeth Winstead in his underground bunker. Is it to protect her from an alien invasion or perhaps he has other ideas in mind.
Goodman puts in a superb performance and is well matched by Ms Winstead.
Very claustrophobic.
Bluray purchase

Got the arse with someone today? Well just you imagine you are Snipes hunting and destroying vampires. Make you feel a whole lot better.
Precursor to the Matrix.
Blu-ray purchase but the print on Prime is quite sharp.

7 Likes