What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

A great film - one of my favourites.

Finally got round to watching this last night. 50 years to the day Man first stepped on to moon. Not bad timing!

Excellent film, showing as much about the effect on the pilots families as the astronauts themselves.

Great use of surround sound by the sound engineers during launch sequences & flight scenes - the creaking metal the flight capsules making your toes curl. Christ knows what it must’ve really been like on those things but they’ve tried their best to bring some of the experience to the viewer.

It’s film like this that make you really value having a decent home AV set.

1 Like

Plays out like an old fashioned Hammer House of Horrors, with silliness and chills.
Recommend for those who don’t like teen slashers.

A fascinating and gripping film, even though the outcome and history is known. Such meticulous planning involved.

3 Likes

Such a hoot. PAGAN People Against Goodness And Normality.

2 Likes

Yep. I watched that last week. A fascinating insight which managed to build tension for the key events, even though I knew the outcome. Good soundtrack, too.

1 Like

Watched Widows the other night. It was rather good and an interesting take on the laPlante original.

1 Like

Almost the temperature of the room last night.

There is a website called Reelstreets that is well worth a visit for 60’s / 70’s films showing the film clip against the current day location. It took me to Maryon Park the other day - location for Blow Up and had me contemplating a detour whilst cycling on the Thames Path to the Thamesmead Estate where a clockwork orange was filmed.

3 Likes

Saw it at the cinema and have it on 4K bluray, but haven’t watched it yet, as I’m kind of mooned-out over the past week.

Can understand that with their being so many programs dedicated to it the last week. It still amazes me what they did.

I found it incredibly dull and disappointing, there is tension at times but its just a bit boring for the most of it. Felt the same about La La Land to. Loved Whiplash though.

Watched it tonight in 4K. Great film and yes, great sound. Whole house shaking. The 4K resolution is probably wasted on this film, as it’s been filmed grainy, obviously to give it a dated feel, but the Dolby Vision produces a beautiful image…and sound.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Widows

Great reviews, bad film.

1 Like

Chastain is very convincing as a fiercely intelligent, determined and cold lobbyist. The storyline has some good twists and turns, with an excellent climax which enhances the enjoyment on first viewing. That said, I still enjoyed it on a second viewing. Recommended.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Jean-Pierre Melville’s 1950 adaption of Jean Cocteau’s famous 1929 book about the strange and ultimately disastrous relationship between and orphaned brother and sister works, despite the woefully miscast Édouard Demit (Paul, the brother).

The reasons it works, and works so well, are as follows: a) Nicole Stéphane’s awesome performance as the semi-crazed sister Élisabeth, a mistress of psychological manipulation; 2) Melville’s brilliant direction, which perfectly captures the claustraphobic nature of the siblings’ relationship (is it incestuous or not?) and which tracks their headlong rush into isolation, insanity and death; 3) Cocteau’s wonderfully florid narration; 4) a super score which makes use of the likes of Bach and Vivaldi.

God, those French know how to make a movie!

6 Likes

Is this the Apollo 11 prequel…?

Didn’t see the sequel so I don’t really know…

Sorry, bit of a carry over from the Best Jokes thread…

1 Like