What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

Watched this last night. It’s good. Very good. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Having enjoyed Miss Sloane a couple of days ago I went looking for another Chastain movie and selected this.

Even though you know the ending the movie still creates tension and is well told. Another powerful performance from Jessica M.

Can’t say the movie will do much for the Pakistan tourist industry though.

2 Likes

That’s one I need to revisit as I didn’t really engage with it the first time

Watched ep 1 last night.

Enjoyed it!

1 Like

Unknown

Not sure if a cinema showing counts but all the same I love these films.

Academy Award winner and Best Film of the Year when those accolades meant something

2 Likes

Superb casting with wonderful performances from Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly. I quite enjoyed it although I’m not sure how much you’d get out of it if you weren’t a fan of Laurel and Hardy to start with.

7 Likes

I love Sergio Leone movies. A Fistful of Dynamite (called Duck, You Sucker in the USA) is one of his last “Spaghetti Westerns” and is set during the Mexican revolutions of the 1910s. Rod Steiger is a ruthless renegade and outlaw, James Coburn is an Irish Republican on the run who’s putting his gift for blowing things up to good use in the Mexican silver mines.

They team up - for different reasons and with different motives - for a massive bank raid.

Coming three years after the magisterial Once Upon A Time In The West, it was largely ignored by critics and the public, but it’s a fabulous picture nonetheless, with all of the Leone trademarks - fast cutting, operatic close ups, choreographed carnage, overlapping sound and a superb Morricone score. And the cheetah-like Coburn and the menacing Steiger are a great double act.

6 Likes

Trading Places

We had a friend over on Friday and she had never seen it, one of my favourite comedies.

5 Likes

Crimson Tide

Excellent film, if a bit heavy on exposition masquerading as dialogue. The touches of Tarantino are easily spotted. Tony Scott doing what he did so well, RIP.

2 Likes

Written by the quite brilliant B.S. Johnson.

Wonderful 1993 documentary, made not long after the collapse of Factory Records. As one might expect, this is NO (geddit?) ordinary band bio…

3 Likes

It’s a good’un.

3 Likes

We’re 3 episodes in. It’s great.

1 Like

Not seen this for many years and forgotten what a brilliant sci-fi movie it was. Shame the sequels give diminishing returns.

8 Likes

Any chance Richard could re-open the ‘What was the last movie you saw at the Cinema’ thread?

1 Like

Jamie, which thread is that? I know there was one on the old forum with that title.

Otherwise there’s this current one:

Whats the last movie you saw in the cinema?

Closed 25th July

Cheers

OK thanks. It was in the Padded Cell. Apologies, it’s not so easy on 3g and phone… Now opened for you,

Thanks Richard