What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

Thank you, I noticed you had been off the radar …

Best wishes

Ian

1 Like

From 2011. A bit strange but it did draw me in. More of a study of depression than a traditional disaster movie. 7/10.

2 Likes

Watched Dune 2 on Blu Ray.

Enjoyed the film at the cinema, nice to re-watch. Stupendous sound engineering.

4 Likes

Agreed! Wonderful through the Denon/Naim system…

It really isn’t that well made, it’s full of factual innacuracies and the potentially interesting plotlines strike out more times than Oakland’s batting line up last season. But it’s still emotional godammit.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Amazon Prime has a very fine print of the Misfits.Directed by John Houston.
IMG_2306

Not a great success at its launch. Perhaps Arthur Miller’s script a little too ethereal for a modern western audience.
The film’s subsequent rise in status was probably due to tales of Monroe’s on set behaviour and Gable’s death almost immediately after filming ended.
Three manly men flutter and flit around Monroe but she gets what SHE wants eventually.

4 Likes

That one passed me by.

Never heard of this short-lived ITV series from the mid ‘90s until recently myself but I enjoyed it thoroughly.

1 Like

Godzilla minus one… another of this year’s oscar contenders. A return of rubber monster costumes and wooden acting…good laugh and one for any old school kaiju fans.

2 Likes

What an utter waste of my time - 2+ hours I will never get back

3 Likes

Talking about a waste of one’s time. I watched “Avatar:the way of water” yesterday.

It is visually stunning. That is the only good thing I can say about it. There are many contrived elements to make the plot advance. It is a long (3h15) boring mess. James Cameron has traded good storytelling for world building. I need more in a movie than just nice visuals.

6 Likes

Thought the ending was a bit of a dud, more a teaser for Part 3……….:joy:.

ATB, J

4 Likes

You are being polite, the Spacing Guild ( for example) weren’t in the film.

There was enough material for an another film.

The comment about plot being important rather than world building I thought was just as important to this film as Cameron’s Avatar

1 Like

I could say the same about Dune 2, which I thought was a bladder bursting incoherent mess

2 Likes

I have not seen either of the Dune movies, and I will not. I am not a big fan of director Denis Villeneuve’s movies.
I very much like the 1982 “Blade runner”, but I despise “Blade runner 2049”, also directed by Villeneuve.

Yes it is.

Always gets to me!

Yes.

The film is simply an allusion to the issues that Cameron.

I often find allegory makes poor fiction. Narrative can take a back seat.

I liked the centrality of family in the film. But, the narrative was so contrived I was consistently pulled out of the story.

Hi Daniel,

Interesting reaction. Why do you despise 2049?

Hi Ian,

Why incoherent?