What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

IMG_2417

Jean Pierre Melville directing Alain Delon again.

An odd trio of rogues join forces for a raid on a jewellery boutique.
As we might expect it slowly goes awry. The setting and photography as grey as the story.

I was dispatched to Paris about this time for work. It looks as bloody miserable as I remember it.

Purchased Studio Canal Bluray. Would have liked the Criterion version.

6 Likes

A great war movie but the voice overs were far too philosophical for me. 7/10

3 Likes

There was a lot left on the cutting room floor. George Clooney and John Travolta had much bigger roles and were left as barely cameos.

I’ve always wondered if a director’s cut of this masterpiece will materialise. OTOH, maybe best to be wary of what one wishes. The ditector’s cut of Apocalypse Now was dire compared to the original.

1 Like

Agreed; too much time wasted at the plantation house for a start

I enjoyed the plantation scenes. It just added to the surreal nature of it all.

1 Like

I found that the additional scenes were not so much bad as produced a substantially different movie that was about something else entirely. Apocalypse Now is very much about man’s inner darkness and the morality of insanity. The Redux version was not really about that at all. The extra scenes made it very much a political film addressing different subject matter. Not touching on any of that is what made the original a purely psychological experience almost outside of time and history. Well to me anyway.

1 Like

The latest one is much bleaker, but very good (except for language )

Better than many of the more recent Alien films , and more akin to Aliens than Alien

Watched Aliens on Blu Ray last night, extended edition , good but gloomy background, I was almost screaming at the carelessness of the so called professional marines and the foolishness of leaving the mothership empty

I know it is all to hurry the script along , but where oh where is wariness?

1 Like

Looking forward to it. The only Alien film I’m not too keen on was Resurrection. Too much an arty French style that, while good, wasn’t in keeping with the franchise.

I especially liked Alien 3 which most hated. The director’s cut is well worth a spin.

The language in Romulus won’t bother me. I’m accustomed to subtitles.

1 Like

Alien 3had several things I remember, one it had Brian Glover/ Leon Arras in it , who’s life story is stranger than most films .The only person who wrestled for the WWF in a one off bout and was immediately offered a full time contract , which he declined as he was performing for the RSC at the time.

It is also memorable for one of the stranger incidents in my life, I bunked off work for an afternoon showing and found myself alone in the cinema, so ignored the ticket stub and found myself a seat.

A few minutes later ( with the cinema still empty) there was a tap on my shoulder , to be told” You’re sitting in my seat”

I moved some distance away from the other customer

2 Likes

Brian Glover was a man of stupendous talent. I still find Kes just too miserable to watch because his performance was so good - too good.

Charles Dance also was in Alien 3. It seemed to teem with a lot of top talent… Which might be why people hated it. The whole concept of that creature loose in a what was basically a British prison in space just piled gloom on top of dread on top of despair. Brilliant ingredients for Alien and offering something different to Aliens (because you can’t out Cameron, Cameron so why try?).

1 Like

His bout with Les Kellett has attracted hundreds of thousands of views , I have a poster up in the man cave for the Royal Brothers V Untouchables ,I bet the people who paid got a great night out.

The part in Kes was written especially for him as he was a teacher at the same school as the author of Kes, and was based on his wrestling personality

1 Like

Good dad!

3 Likes

IMG_2418
Directed by Spielberg from a Philip K D*ck short story.

Tiny Tom is the boss of the murder pre-cognition team.
They are able to catch the murderer before the event and so bring the crime statistics tumbling. Tom is identified as a pre-cog murderer and off we go.
As all of Spielberg’s work we have a good old fashioned story that is very well put together and some modest cgi. Do like the Spyders.
I watched it in a batch of second hand blurays I purchased but it looks as though it will be on Amazon Prime within the fortnight.
Good fun.

6 Likes

Total Recall - Director’s Cut

Critically panned but honestly, it’s not that bad. I grew up on the original one with Arnie which everyone claims is miles better. It’s not. The remake is significantly better. Both are equally implausibly stupid.

Thanks for posting this Nick, a great reminder to watch again. This is just simply a wonderful, gentle, warm film…brings back memories of a certain time for me.

2 Likes

Michael Mann’s take on Thomas Harris’ Red Dragon.
Not quite as scary as the art work might lead you to believe.
An exhausted FBI agent uses Hannibal Lecktor (Brian Cox giving Hopkins a run for his money) to try and track a killer. But perhaps Lecktor is using the FBI agent for his own amusement.
Of its time but a decent well explained story.
From the batch of used Blurays I purchased.

5 Likes

Documentary about the making of the 1974 album.

1 Like

8 Likes

That was a great movie and from a period where the UK was turning out very few films anymore. Hoskins’ performance was great.

2 Likes

Ultra violent Indian film; was a film title ever more appropriate. Enjoyable brain dead movie. 7/10.