What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

1975 version, sublime

4 Likes

Just watched breaker morant on sony movies channel , true story of those sentanced for following orders in the army . very gripping film

4 Likes

Just bought ET to watch again

1 Like

Hadn’t seen it for years and years. Watching them on a 4K disc makes a movie night out of it and a bit more special.

This afternoons viewing
Just got to be done at this time of the year

9 Likes

Alphaville. One of my favourite films.

Prompted to watch it after hearing of the death of Anna Karina a couple of weeks ago.

4 Likes

And now he advertises for Direct Line …

Subject of one of the greatest movie put downs:
(Actor) Price to Reeves “I’ve made 84 movies”
(Director) Reeves to Price “I’ve made 2 good movies”

Matthew Hopkins set the standards of evidence that was used at the Salem Witch Trials.
Standards that would not be out of place with some of our tabloid newspapers

(a.k.a. Dark of the Sun)

1 Like

…it’s one every Mick Ronson fan should see as should every Bowie fan. In fact, It’s indispensable. When it was over, having “met” onscreen, Ronson’s wife and family I was left beyond sad by how this super-talented man, who was never a money-grubber, left this planet too young, under-appeciated and with little money to leave his family.

2 Likes

8 Likes

Das Boot , so moving and gritty

9 Likes

Hope you watched the German version. The (only) book written by a journalist during WWII who was allowed to join a U Boat on one of its missions is excellent as well.

2 Likes

A wonderful bit of film making. Burton on top form. The grubbiness of London in Sixties is quite striking given the city I know of today.

7 Likes

Thanks for suggesting a Matter of Life and Death. I couldn’t find it in my local library to borrow so I’ve had to buy it, darn it. Luckily, I did stumble on Criterion’s Blu-Ray Edition for a good price so that was nice. I’m very much looking forward to watching it.

As for what I’ve been watching, I am often attracted to movies that didn’t make any lists of great movies for reasons I don’t always understand and The Last of the Dogmen with Tom Berenger and Barbara Hershey falls into that category. My husband and I just watched it again for perhaps the tenth time. It is the story of a tribe of Indians that has survived in the Montana wilderness into the present time and what happens when Tom a Berenger stumbles on to them. It’s a great story and the scenery is to die for.

Another under the radar movie my husband and I just watched again is The Grey Fox. It’s a Canadian film which has been designated and preserved as a “masterwork” by the Audio-Visual Preservation Trust of Canada, and I agree, it is a masterpiece. Filmed in heritage sites in the Canadian west it is gorgeous to watch. It has also been listed in the Toronto International Film Festival’s list of Canada’s Top Ten Films of All Time. Good luck finding a copy. I have it on Laser Disc.
It is based on the true story of Bill Miner, a stagecoach robber who converted his skills to robbing trains. He staged Canada’s first train robbery in 1905.

2 Likes

3 Likes

The best film ever made of course (US Theatrical Cut)

12 Likes

I don’t understand why people have been so disappointed with season 8, I liked it and was amazed about the big battle episode with the final unexpected killer of the nightking…, so just sad it was the last season…

1 Like

Nice to hear you liked it. My feelings are best described if one googles GoT horse drawing. Still waiting for the Winds of winter to be published.

1 Like

A long time since I’ve watched this Sixties movie. Lancester portrays his role convincingly.

2 Likes