What DVD, Blu-ray or streamed film have you just watched?

I’m glad you liked it.
BR,
Ivo

2 Guns, Netflix
An undercover anti cartel investigation turned wrong.
With Denzel Washington, Mark Wahlberg

Rocky Horror Picture Show

On BR via the Lexicon MC-10 so hearing extra detail …always worth a watch, if not up to a live performance.

1 Like

A well told and acted story of extracting six US embassy members from Teheran during the Iranian revolution in 1979. I wonder how many Americans still remember to be thankful to the Canadians who were instrumental in rescuing the four men and two women.

8 Likes

Love Argo, great acting and and wonderful story!

1 Like

There was a superb live version of this, with Stephen Fry and Emma Bunton amongst the narrators .

A lot better than the film . Far earthier .

I have looked for it many times on Sky Arts but haven’t seen it again. My version lacks the first two minutes owing to a programming clash. Firmly in the Do Not Delete on my Sky + box.

Thanks, I’ll do some searches.

An excellent film, indeed! When I first saw it at the cinema it had me on the edge of my seat during the final half hour or so. I’ve seen it again since at home on blu-ray and it’s still nail-biting stuff.

Rolled out Blade Runner on the 4K, seeing now why it’s a cult classic. Will do the sequel next weekend.

1 Like

With all due respect to fellow forum members who liked it, Argo was one of the worst movie I ever seen, we hide and board the plane…great movie would be how cia toppled the elected goverment in Iran for oil money:) “ all the shahs man “ great book…

1 Like

Hatidze lives with her ailing mother in the mountains of Macedonia, making a living cultivating honey using ancient beekeeping traditions. When an unruly family moves in next door, what at first seems like a balm for her solitude becomes a source of tension as they, too, want to practice beekeeping, while disregarding her advice.

Highly recommended.

1 Like

Parker, Netflix
I just like this guy Jason.

1 Like

At his best as Turkish in Snatch

1 Like

I am watching Lawrence of Arabia for the third or fourth time, this time I am watching the BluRay version The music and photography are magnificent. Peter O’Toole is the sort of actor you can’t take your eyes off. The same can be said for Omar Sharif, but simply because he is remarkably handsome. I think all of David Lean’s movies are a feast for the eyes.

If you want a completely different dort or movie, I recommend two foreign made movies I consider treasures. The Well Digger’s Daughter and Vitus

6 Likes

From 1965, a heavily fictionalised account of the life of the original blonde bombshell, Jean Harlow (1911-37). Carroll Baker is excellent in the title role, there’s a fine supporting cast and the picture is handsome enough, but… when the real story of Harlean Carter is so interesting, why fictionalise (and bowdlerise) it? Plus the thing plods a bit. Nice to look at, but a miss.

1 Like

After three superlative, era-defining pictures, Saltzman and Broccoli took a slight mis-step with Thunderball. There’s much to recommend it – superb score, lots of action, two gorgeous girls, one good (the late Claudine Auger), one bad (Luciana Paluzzi), decent villain (Adolfo Celi) and glorious locations. The only real fault is that it’s half an hour too long and there are way, way too many gloomily-lit and repetitve underwater sequences. Still, one of the better movies in the franchise.

6 Likes

A good cast – Scarlett Johansson, Zoe Kravitz, Demi Moore, Jillian Bell, etc – is wasted in this clunky and crudely-directed black comedy about a bachelorette party that goes badly wrong when a made stripper hired for the night dies. It’s shouty, full of annoying characters and illustrates the point that US frat-girl “humour” is just as irritating and unfunny as frat-boy “humour”. The trailer should tell you all you need to know.

Just watched Dune on Netflix

1 Like

Despite Connery ageing visibly, this premium Bond, a step up from its predecessor Thunderball. What’s it got going for it? Great theme song and score, a script by Roald Dahl, Donald Pleasance (with scar and fluffy cat) as Blofeld, the best-ever Bond villain’s lair in the shape of the Ken Adam-designed volcanic crater, complete with monorail and piranha pool, a ninja army, the bright lights of Tokyo, a faked 007 death and Tiger Tanaka, head of the Japanese secret service. I like this one!

11 Likes

I like this one too. And the book was also one of the best of the series.

3 Likes