What gig have you just been to (in 2021)?

Due to see them next week at the Royal Albert Hall. :+1:

1 Like

Espen Eriksen Trio at Halle St Michaels, Manchester. Excellent concert finished just a half hour ago!

1 Like

Carmina Burana (Carl Orff) played by local symphony orchestra in conjunction with local choral society. Really rather good, and hugely enjoyable.

It reminded me that my realistic listening level at home is quite correct!

1 Like

Did anyone go? Last saw her at the start of the San Sebastian jazz Fest on the beach in the rain - for free! Maybe 10 years ago. She was utterly magnificent.

1 Like

Genesis at Manchester AOArena , have been a fan for decades, so a real thrill to see them for the first time live , a great birthday treat

2 Likes

Just left the Royal Albert Hall. Nick Cave and Warren Ellis. What can I say? Superb! !

8 Likes

Mary Coughlan, Opium on Camden Street, Dublin
Nice small gig, with Mary & her band, ahead of a UK Tour

8 Likes

Genesis, SSE Hydro, Glasgow - last night.

Cheers,

Ian

8 Likes

Just been to see The Beatles*. As well as early stuff they did a fair bit from Magical Mystery Tour, and virtually the whole of Abbey Road. Thoroughly enjoyable.

*Oddly had the word “Bootleg” on the bass drum.

2 Likes

Alex Hitchcock Quartet at The Hive in Shrewsbury.

A very nice evening of Jazz.

1 Like

Next door to Whelans?

It is, upstairs 1st floor.

1 Like

Ah I see! - entrance round the back in Liberty Lane - now back in 2006 it was called The Village - remember seeing Sean Lennon there supported by Luan Parle.

Last Thursday was the first outing by the RCM Philharmonic in over a year since the Covid Pandemic took hold. So it was an emotional return to performance for all and conductor Martyn Brabbins thanked everyone for coming, for respecting social distancing within the Concert Hall, and also made a plea to support the arts by getting out there and going to as many concerts and performances as possible (making a special plea on behalf of the ENO, of which he is Music Director).

It was a mixture of Orchestral works, from Augusta Holmes, Goroendahl, and Wagner. It was the first time I’ve heard any music from Groendahl. I really enjoyed the Trumpet Concerto, and Gemma Riley played so well (although being sat right in front of her on the front row was rather too “up front”) so I will seek out any recordings of the piece.

We’ll be back this week for the next concert…

Image courtesy of RCM.

7 Likes

Looks great. I am off to see the ENO’s new production of The Valykries next month

1 Like

One of the Wagner works played that evening was Ride of The Valkyries.

Enjoy The Valkyries!

3 Likes

We had Eddi Reader on 6 October and rarely for one of our concerts I managed to watch nearly all of the set. The sound was fantastic and the performances superb. I got to meet Forum member @MDS too; we get Forum members from time to time. Eddi and the band were lovely, which is always nice.

3 Likes

On Saturday we had Ella Rundle & Nathaniel Anderson-Frank. Ella plays cello and is part of the Philharmonia, while Nathaniel is leader of the BBC Concert Orchestra. They played a wonderful programme including Bach, Ravel, Ysaye and Stravinsky, some of which is fearsomely difficult. It was in a little church in Emsworth and it was so rewarding to see such superb musicians in such an intimate setting.

No picture of them playing I’m afraid, but I do have a pre show selfie.

5 Likes

Yes, Nigel @anon4489532. It was a superb concert. I’ve long been an Eddi Reader fan but that’s the first time I’ve seen her live. She was every bit as good as I expected her to be. The bonus was how good her band was and I utterly was blown away by Alan Kelly on the accordion. And another bonus was finally meeting you face-to-face. Mike

Alan is great and is a lovely man. In fact they were all really nice and it was good to meet them all. They all stayed in the B&B just down the road from me. Hopefully we will get them back again.

1 Like