What gin are you drinking, and why might someone else enjoy it?

Nowt wrong with a Beefeater, a good staple.

And +1 for the Jensen’s too.

Aside, for ‘flavoured’ gins I like Warner (& Edwards) Rhubarb.

2 Likes

We’ve recently got Becketts London dry in.
Hasn’t been opened. Looking forward to seeing if it’s worth a little premium over the mighty Beefeater.

1 Like

Out here in the Spanish coastal mountains, we are lucky to have access to Tanqueray and also this little lovely.

There’s also Beefeater, if you like something as rough as a glass-paper tongue whipping.

4 Likes

Hendrick’s Gin is crafted in Edinburgh (or Scotland, at least) and was first distilled to make use of spare capacity in whisky distilleries.

Lovely stuff, as I remember. But do remember to serve it with a generous wedge of cucumber, rather than the slice of lemon or lime that you would usually have with a London-distilled gin.

1 Like

Beefeater with sloes in for 6 months… mmm
Didn’t make any this yr as looking at the berries they suffered here in Norfolk with the dry sumner and were very small.

3 Likes

That’s what a proper gin should be like.

None of this smooth wimpy stuff…

3 Likes

Another Malfy gin household here

With the lemon being a particular favourite.

2 Likes

Just got given a bottle of the grapefruit gin yesterday by my daughters boyfriend. Looking forward to tasting it.

1 Like

Bircg Gin is made in very small batches in Wadhurst, East Sussex, with one of the key ingredients being sap from birch trees. It’s very good to drink neat…

5 Likes

Well, dryish January didn’t last.

10 Likes

We’ve tried a few over the last year or so and found some good local makers. This is the first I’ve tried the Bombay, it’s also 4pm here on a very hot and muggy afternoon just right for a G&T.

10 Likes

For decades only drank Bombay Sapphire, Hendricks or Cotswold Dry Gin. Particularly like the latter.
Four Pillars is an excellent gin producer in Australia, visited their distillery in the Yarra Valley recently and migrated from their Rare gin- which is wonderful to their bloody shiraz - this stuff is a little addictive ( very addictive) - combine with bitter lemon and orange segment - its wonderful.

Edit - I just checked and it is available in the UK - certainly Waitrose stock it

3 Likes

We bought a taster pack from the The Farmers Wife they’re a local gin distillery in Allworth not far from us. Wonderful gin worth looking up.

2 Likes

Jinzu Japanese gin is very pleasant too- and very reasonably priced in Australia

1 Like

dont think its as muggy here as where you are Pete - but that didn’t stop us having a G&T too !!

It’s been around 30+ all week here we don’t get the sea breeze that you obviously do.

Just quietly I’d have a G&T in the middle of winter.

1 Like

Looks more like a gin liqueur! Why is it called bloody shiraz? I get the colour, but does it have any connection with wine? What are the predominent botanicals/ flavour other than juniper?

Totally agree. It’s our go-to every time. The ‘kelp’ tincture drops and pink grapefruit finish off the best G&T I’ve ever tasted.

G

2 Likes

What is that, and where from? In a restaurant a year or so ago weall had different gins and one of my sons had a one with seaweed as one of the botanicals, which was rather nice, but we didn’t think to note what the gin was.

Perhaps more a gin cocktail which is what Four Pillars recommend this gin for
It does have a connection with wine as shiraz grapes are combined with their rare gin to make this
Other than juniper and shiraz grapes it contains pepperberry

For a more traditional G&T I use their rare dry gin or navy strength gin