What gin are you drinking, and why might someone else enjoy it?

G

Gin again this evening. This one is one of my favourites: Brew Dog’s Lone Wolf blue label. Which says “Gin with bite” - but maybe all of theirs do… It vies with two or three other gins (more of which another time) to be my overall favourite. However with the added advantage of being remarkable value for money at only about £25 or sometimes less, and available widely, I should perhaps list as my overall favourite.

I finished my last bottle this evening - and on searching for more to order online it appears very sadly that they may have discontinued it. However, looking more closely at the tasting notes and botanicals for the one listed as their London Dry Gin it appears tgat they might simply have changed the labelling, losing the characteristic wolf image for boring plain text. Why on earth I have no idea - anyone know for certain if it is the same gin?

New to me was the tonic: Double Dutch skinny tonic water, bought by my wife this week at Tesco, cheaper than Fever tree light, which is my normal general purpose preference. I haven’t compared the tonics directly, but it certainly goes very well with this Lone Wolf - and no twist of anything needed.

2 Likes

See above IB. I think it the same gin that I described up there.
It certainly retains its Juniper and Pine profile.
The old label was fabulous I am not sure why they changed it.

1 Like

I went to Lidl today as the two local supermarkets had no discounted gin.
I wanted a bottle of the Hortus dry gin.

At about £16. It deserves its accolades. A very good neutral gin.

But they had none.

So in the interest of research and help to my fellow forum members I purchased this one.

Citrusy,I think there might be a little underlying juniper,herbal.

I shall have another just to be sure. Mmmmm Nice.

5 Likes

6 Likes

That’s a great marketing image they did same a year or so back a with a raspberry favour. Sales went through the roof.

1 Like

Not sure whether it is really drinkable — it’s the only bottle of gin I couldn’t finish. I tried drinking that stuff a couple of times, couldn’t tolerate it. Awful — the bottle was given away…

But many other gins mentioned here sound super-intriguing — I have started a shopping list.

It’s a bad thread, a very bad one… :rofl:

1 Like

Now one from one of my local distilleries - Fynoderee. They do five straight gins, and a sloe gin.
This one fitting the current cold weather: Winter.

They do the four seasons (available ell year round), of which this is not one of my favourites - or wasn’t…. The taste has a hint of Christmas - the distiller’s description is It’s a winter wonderment of piney juniper and rich juicy berries (hand foraged on the Isle of Man), with the subtle spice of liquorice and clove, and a smooth, warming, cinnamon finish. and though nice it didn’t wow me. Until I tried it with some clementine zest, which perfectly complements the gin botanicals making a deliciously refreshing drink.

7 Likes

Available on Amazon, quite delicious and rich.

4 Likes

Nice.Inoffensive.Unassuming.

I enjoy it and it’s often very competitive price point when the bottles of good stuff are emptying too quickly.

5 Likes

Well regarded with a couple of medals to hang round the bottle neck. I have never seen it before. Hails from picturesque Northampton.

£24.00 including gift box with a free glass at Waitrose. Nice bottle.

They had Tanquery 10 at reduced price but thought such value worthy of a trial.

Trial completed.

Seriously citrusy and this is not overpowered by the juniper. Smooth,round but quite bitter like quality marmalade.

2 Likes

On a hot snd muggy Friday evening ( watching the cricket) these go down a treat.

7 Likes

Having some „La Tribute“ with the complementary Tonic. Cheers!

4 Likes

About £40.00 U.K.
On my list to try.
It certainly has many good reviews.
Is the special tonic quinine based?

Left over from years back when Mrs. FZ and I were younger and used to observe “cocktail hour”.

Pretty much teatotal now for medical reasons going on 12+ years but never chucked out the booze. I gave up on coctails (with the exception of two special discoveries) before even that when I discovered Campari. As a colleague said, “Never seen anyone order Campari over ice in a pint glass before with food… let alone a series of them.”

7 Likes

Still quite hot here last few weeks we’ve been getting temperatures in the high 20s to mid 30s c so a G&T goes down well before dinner. Not tried this before but it not bad at all.

3 Likes

I’ve tried many over the last few years, with my wife receiving a monthly delivery from the gin club.

Some are splendid, some are so-so, however none have usurped my favourite.

4 Likes

This is a reasonable, cheaper substitute however…

2 Likes

one of my favourites Hendricks, I can also recommend Cotswold Dry Gin available in D Murphys

We’re trying different ones each time I’ll try that later. There’s a few from small batch local breweries that we want to try next.