What is the latest music you've downloaded where did you buy it and in what resolution?

CARMEN GOMES INC. - STONES IN MY PASSWAY
DXD352-24
The album of the year, or it is going to be very hard to beat.

‘Stones in My Passway’ is more than a homage to Robert Johnson; it reimagines his music in a way that feels both familiar and exhilaratingly new.

The meticulously engineered soundscape vignettes enhance the immersive experience, enveloping the listener in a world where the music comes alive.

'‘Carmen Gomes Inc.‘s recording of Robert Johnson’s songs stands as a testament to their artistic vision and commitment to capturing the essence of the blues. Through their road movie-inspired soundscape approach and Frans de Rond’s engineering prowess, they transport Johnson’s music to the 21st century, validating its enduring beauty and ensuring its continued resonance with audiophiles and music enthusiasts alike.’’

2 Likes

Qobuz [24/96 Flac]
A stunning recreation of the 1966 Manchester Free Trade Hall concert.

4 Likes

I was at this gig, great night, I was also fortunate to be
at the Dylan RAH gig 27/5/1966 from where this take it’s title, now that was a GREAT gig.

2 Likes

Great first review of Carmen Gomes Inc. ‘Stones In My Passway’ in JazzFlits.
Both album downloads are part of the sale at Sound Liaison.com in DXD,DSD and Flac.

“Engineer Frans de Rond has captured the entire setting in a way that allows you to experience the superb interplay of these seasoned musicians. This is so well recorded that turning up the volume knob significantly only seems make the music even more intense not louder”
"Stones In My Passway’ is part two of​ ‘’Discovering the music of Robert Johnson’’ series in
which Carmen Gomes Inc. breathes new life into the musical legacy of Robert Johnson….
…The short atmospheric pieces between the tracks, where you are taken to the scene of the events like in a radio play, are a real treasure. Thus, the album opens with a beautiful intro where a passing train, wind noise, and a single guitar chord transports you to the deep south of the United States.
…Carmen sings the blues straight from the heart, profoundly, with authenticity and heartfelt sincerity, eschewing any unnecessary embellishments.
…Her band has mastered this repertoire completely.
The slow tempos are beautifully exploited, with each musician contributing sparingly but with authority. In their renditions of Johnson’s pieces, you feel the clammy, sweaty air in the ominous dark shady clubs, where the blues was interspersed with drinking parties.and fights……
Engineer Frans de Rond has captured the entire setting in a way that allows you to experience the superb interplay of these seasoned musicians. This is so well recorded that turning up the volume knob significantly only seems to make the music even more intense not louder…
With this release, an impressively good album has been added to Carmen’s discography.
My suggestion is to buy both part one (Up Jumped The Devil) and part two (Stones in My Passway as they don’t fall short of each other and only become more precious with time.”
S.v. Aelst in ‘JazzFlits’

3 Likes

Just a heads up that it is another Bandcamp Friday Dec 1st where they wave their fees to artists. So buy on Friday and support your struggling favourite artists. I have my list ready to go……

4 Likes

That’s the way to go @GraemeBC

2 Likes

Peter Gabriel

i/o

Qobuz 24bit/96kHz

Just finest downloading i/o

The download comes with two versions of the album.

Bright-Side Mix - Mixed by Mark ‘Spike’ Stent.
Dark-Side Mix - Mixed by Tchad Blake.

Edward

4 Likes

A couple from Emily Barker on Bandcamp

folder
“Wild to be Sharing This Moment” (single): flac at at 24 bit 96kHz.

folder
“A Dark Murmuration of Strings” (EP): flac at 24 bit 44.1kHz.

3 Likes

The album is also available in DXD at SOUND LIAISON and NATIVE DSD, and as RedBook CD at carmengomes.bandcamp.com Here is a review of the album from Hifi;
‘’ “A phenomenal experience on a refined hi-fi set. Highly recommended during these gray winter days!" Eric De Boer, Hifi.Nl

“New work from Carmen Gomes Inc. is always worth the attention of audiophiles who love blues and jazz. So, when asked if I wanted to review the new album by the quartet titled 'Stones In My Passway,’ I gladly said yes, and I’m glad I did because this is a masterpiece.
‘Stones In My Passway’ is subtitled ‘Discovering The Music Of Robert Johnson 2.’ Once again, the group dives into the work and life of Robert Leroy Johnson, who hailed from Mississippi. He died young, leaving behind 29 songs, but his work has had and continues to have a significant influence on many blues guitarists and singers. Additionally, Johnson has been included posthumously as one of the very first ‘members’ of the famous 27 Club, the well-known group of artists who died at the age of 27. It certainly captures the imagination.
Carmen Gomes and her band have ample reason to dedicate a second album to the work and style of Robert Johnson. I intentionally skipped the previous album with the same focus (‘Up Jumped The Devil’) as this release stands on its own and it should be enjoyed as such.
Carmen provides the vocals, Folkert Tettero handles the guitars, Peter Bjørnild plays the double bass, and last but not least, drummer Bert Kamsteeg completes the ensemble.
On ‘Stones In My Passway’ the group (including engineer Frans de Rond) explores six of Robert Johnson’s songs and complements them with nine original works, soundscape vignettes, created by the entire band.
Pressing ‘play,’ it becomes immediately evident that, rather than just paying homage to Johnson, Carmen Gomes Inc. has crafted a complete narrative.
The mood is established right from the start with slowly building blue sounds accompanied by the soundscape of a steam train, evoking the image of Robert Johnson’s southern United States.
The atmosphere and ambiance come to the forefront right away with a magical rendition of Johnson’s ‘Little Queen Of Spades.’ Tettero’s slide guitar, an echo from the past, is given renewed and extended prominence, taking an equal place in the whole nearly as prominent as Carmen’s vocals. Placed slightly to the right behind the voice, the bass provides a defined foundation, and there’s gorgeous amble space for the drums.
Gomes immerses herself in the bluesy feeling and uses her voice to tell stories, alternating her narrative with the guitar. One of the most beautiful instances of this interplay is the track 'Dust My Broom.
The intimacy of the vocals, the expression of the guitar, and the refined sounds of the double bass, along with the dynamics of the percussion, transform the track into a captivating auditory experience.
This dynamic quality extends to the entire album; it feels like a radio play. These artists have a vivid imagination and know how to translate it into narrative music, supplemented with cleverly placed soundscapes. It’s an extraordinary musical journey.
Furthermore, the music is greatly enhanced by the beautiful recording and production. Once again, engineer Frans de Rond has delivered excellent work, by playing with the placement of microphones, among other things. The choice to place the drums so prominently and dynamically in the soundstage adds extra underlying tension to Robert Johnson’s blues legacy.
It’s music that invites immersion, and a phenomenal experience on a refined hi-fi set. Highly recommended during these gray winter days!” Eric De Boer

3 Likes

The Soviet Space Dog Project | Beyond Pluto | bandcamp | 24/44.1 and the bonus album in 16/44.1 | FLAC

Needed to add some Rameau to my collection

Also Hamilton. (48/24). I’m seeing it for a second time. This time with my grandniece.

3 Likes

Dougie MacLean

MARCHING MYSTERY

Edward

1 Like

From High Definition Tape Transfers. DSD256 and 352.8 plus 192/24 PCM Flac files- you can download lower resolutions than what you bought without additional charge. It is a very nice sounding transfer.

4 Likes

Emma Kirkby - The Complete Recitals on Oiseaux Lyre - 12 albums worth - Presto CD quality.

4 Likes

Not sure how many times I’ve bought that album. At least four.

Michael nyman
1000006513awesome live album

1 Like

From where?

Dire Straits

Dire Straits : Live 1978 - 1992

Qobuz 24bit/44.1kHz

Edward

4 Likes

Talk talk,natural history

3 Likes

I have several versions too (2 x Vinyl + 4 digital ones, now 5) This one has ambience and a more relaxed textured instrument sound that is inviting to the ear!