What is the one hi-fi thing you regret selling?

I regret selling almost everything, a Prima Luna, a Luxman L-31, some JMR Arpegione Signature, some Spendor classic, etc. but they had to go out for new things to come in.

1 Like

Dynaudio C1 MK11ā€™s I should of held on to, and upgraded my amp. Taksim Reference 3Aā€™s I also regret selling, incredible sounding and easy to driveā€¦but BIG and ugly.

Meadowlark Heron-i loudspeakers. I foolishly sold my pair thinking they were the weak like in my system. While that was true, I still havenā€™t found a clear upgrade. Others did some important things noticeably better, unfortunately none of them were better in each and every way. After five different pairs I think I have found the right ones, but stillā€¦

Quad FM4ā€¦with the European version buttons, 1,2,3 etc rather than BBC 1, BBC 2 etc. Great, free music on Radio 3 and sublime aesthetics.

2 Likes

A pair of technics SL1210 and pioneer mixer. Thankfully I still have all the vinyl in the loft.

1 Like

Itā€™s not what it used to beā€¦

I have had a lp12 for 35 years and upgraded to this spec
linn lp12 keel Radikal Ekos se1 Krystal urika tranquillity
I was on the verge of moving to an ideal house however I had to sell it to save my business due to corona
I regretted it the moment I did it however it has also been a reality check
Currently finding out all about digital which has been an eye opener in a good way
Once this is over I wonder if I will go back to vinyl :mask:

1 Like

Well given your collection yes, I wouldnā€™t suggest a LP12 Majik , a different brand such as Rega.

I feel that would be much easier to live with from an emotional perspective , but I am really, really good at spending other peopleā€™s money

I hope things pick up for you

Best wishes

Ian

1 Like

Mulberry- I had the meadowlark shearwaters, Iā€™d had to replace one driver, and since they were out of business, I was concerned and eventually replaced them with Harbeth M30.1 and found a buyer for the shearwater. The harbeths made a good up-grade.

1 Like

My original LP collection - sold in a couple of job lots in the early 90s :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Hi Benjy,

another owner of Meadowlarks, now thatā€™s a surprise.

As far as I know Pat McGinty used off the shelf drivers from Scan Speak for the Shearwaters, making replacements possible. The one thing I miss most is the Herons ability to sound well at nearly every level I asked them to play.

Monitor 30s were on my shortlist of speakers to listen to, glad to hear you like yours.

My SBLs. They had a beautiful walnut grain pattern and were mint when I sold them. The guy who bought them wanted to hear them before purchase, which meant they then had to be disassembled to put them back into the original boxes properly after the demo. The guy was saying, ā€œOh donā€™t worry about that, we can just put them in the back of the carā€. I did pack them properly, but it saddens me to think how theyā€™d have been treated when being set up and used by their new owner.

2 Likes

B & O Beogram 1200 turntable.

O.K., maybe not the last word in quality reproduction, but, at 18 years old, I thought it the coolest kid on the block.

The girlies loved it, and my street cred definitely took a dive, once it was gone ā€¦ and when youā€™re 18, that really matters.

5 Likes

Wow! That would be priceless today.
I am glad that Iā€™ve kept mine, by the way, a few days go, I looked at the Van Morrisonā€™s Poetic Champions Compose (vinyl version), it is on sale on Amazon for $119.

I sometimes regret trading in my UnitiQute2 and NAP100 against the SN2/NDX2. But I kept my Nova for my second system and also have a second hand Uniti2. I loved the site of UQ2, but there is no denying that the Uniti2 has more grunt and resolution and is more usable with the line out connection and itā€™s currently in the small garage/games room with my original 1980ā€™s AR speakers.

1 Like

Oh wait, I lied. I did sell my first pair of speakers. They were Pioneer HPM-60. They cranked but sounded awful. So colored. I replaced them with Large Advents. Donā€™t regret that move. Still have those. Still sound great.

I still have my first receiver - the Marantz 2275. I would have really regretted selling that!

Two or three years after SBLā€™s were discontinued a small number of unused sets of cabinets were ā€œdiscoveredā€ in the factory. These were made up into finished speakers and I bought one of these pairs of the very last SBLā€™s ever made. They were in black ash, which has lost its popularity, but Iā€™m one of those that quite like it. The veneer finish was gorgeous. It is my biggest regret that I sold them when I bought a pair of NBLā€™s. I eventually sold the NBLā€™s, also regret their sale but to a lesser degree, and I canā€™t even remember what I replaced them with so many pairs of speakers have come and gone since.

1 Like

I just bought a SuperLine and power it off my 252. Maybe I shouldnā€™t have sold my HiCap DR last year. :man_shrugging:

Iā€™m sure I read somewhere that itā€™s illegal to sell a pair of NBLs.

2 Likes

Many years ago now,but I sometimes regret selling Mission DAD 7000 CD player,and at the same time a pair of Heybrook HB1ā€™s,between them they gave a realistic ā€œliveā€ sound. They were driven by a QED A240 amp.

3 Likes