What is the ultimate speaker for Naim

Boom Chika Boom!!!

Naim seem to think that Focal are the ultimate speakers for their range.

Hmmm

How difficult is your room? I have P3ESR’s in a room that proved boomy with other speakers but am tempted by the SHL5+.

Wow I was considering P3ESR’s as my room gets some boom…was it totally successful using the little Harbeths???

Any of the above!:sunglasses:

When considering ultimate, surely a thorough assessment of room and effective treatment to maximise sound quality is as important as what speakers are chosen: indeed, ideally it should commence with a purpose-designed listening room…

(Actually just as relevant with less-than-ultimate systems)

2 Likes

Focal seem to have used Naim, and now, it seems, their forum, to promote their products in the UK. It’s their forum, and their business, therefore that is their prerogative, of course. However, to my mind it very much goes against the grain of the traditional way that (Naim) dealers sell HiFi where they help the customer to choose from a range of gear. Nowhere does this apply more than loudspeaker choice, and finding a pair that works in your room, and suits your personal taste, absolutely requires that you try different models and brands. A dealers input can be invaluable in helping with this. Sorry, but those package deals are not in line with this customer focused approach in my view.

1 Like

I wonder what F.O.C.A.L stands for. I have an idea but if I dared to express it here, I’d probably be excommunicated and barred for life.:sunglasses:

For Only Critical Absolute Listening!

My room is about 16 x 24 feet irregular - I have to deal with the staircase in one corner. In addition, being in the basement heating ducts resonate and give an odd shape to the ceiling.

As I said in another thread, I was never able to control the Monitor 40.1’s bass to my satisfaction with my then non-DR 300. With the 300 DR I now have bass is tighter, so it might have been able a good match for the Monitor 40.1s. I’ll never know.

In any event switching to the SHL 5 Plus resolved the problem, but their midrange, although excellent, doesn’t quite match the Monitor 40.1’s (normal considering the cost difference).

Claude

Does anyone remember when Focal tried to market themselves as JM Labs

Jm lab was originally the half of the company that built the speakers, focal the other half developed driver technology. Twenty years later the 2 halves were united as focal jmlab, before the jm lab bit was dropped, making simply focal. There’s a metal plaque in the brickwork near the front door at the naim factory announcing that the building is also home to focal jm lab uk. The company was founded by Jacques Mahul hence jm.

I had JM labs , my first speakers. I think JM labs became Focal after. Same company.

My refurbished DBLs :grin:

5 Likes

Agree with Richard on the 4343. I heard them first time back in the 1980:es and fell in love. Also heard the modified Kendrick models (expensive). If I had the money, these speakers would be the ones for me :grinning:

I can’t say I’ve herd every speaker every conceived on Naim systems, but I can say I herd some very pricey boxes hanging out of 500 systems. The Sl2 seems to be the fastest kid on the block imo so that’s my vote. I know they aren’t the best I’ve ever herd as far as hifi but man do they do music! Try some Stevie Ray on a decent lp12🎼

Neat XL10’s for me, having owned them for 3 years they never cease to amaze me, which is an achievement in itself.

6 Likes

Pls tell. I’m thinking of acronyms but I can only get the first word???
I’ve just picked up a Led zeppelin 11 1969 Japanese pressing in complete minty mint condition, oh pls don’t stop it Jesus!! the Sl2 speaker is from the Lord.
I think we all enjoy moments like that. Naim work best with any speakers thats why we all have Naim. It’s the room you have is in question is it not?

AFAIK, it’s not an acronym.

According to the Merriam Webster online dictionary, Focal is defined as; of, relating to, or having a focus; having central or great importance.

1 Like