What Music Concert DVD or BluRay have you recently watched?

I recently watched Roger Waters’ Them and Us concert BluRay disc to compare the Dolby Atmos and Stereo sound tracks and as usual much preferred the stereo to the surround audio.

However, I had forgotton just how good the concert was and it brought back the memories of seeing the concert live in Perth, Australia.

That prompted me to watch Pink Floyd’s Pulse on BluRay which again brought back memories of seeing the concert live in London.

Anybody else bought concert discs to listen to and watch and possibly also bring back memories of seeing the concerts live?

3 Likes

Yes, likewise with “Us and Them” when I saw the tour in Auckland. Over favourites are Steven Wilson’s “Home Invasion” and Steve Hackett’s “Genesis Revisited Live: Seconds Out & More”, as they are both the same tour concerts I saw in Auckland. I also have the Pendragon DVD “And Now Everyone to the Stage”, which is a tour concert of a gig my wife and I flew to England to see.

I have a large collection of music concert BluRay and it’s one of my favourite ways to enjoy music. Other favourites of concerts I haven’t seen live are David Gilmour’s “Live at Pompeii’, Marillion’s “All One Tonight” and Anathema’s “Universal”.

With a well recorded hi-res audio format on a BluRay concert, I generally find this to be my best quality source material in my system (I output digital coaxial to my ND555).

2 Likes

I to have a very large collection of Music Concert and Music Video DVD and BluRay discs and I agree with you that sending the digital output from the BluRay player to a high end music streamer/dac gives really great stereo sound quality.

2 Likes

No video on this new release, so a slight thread diversion, but the Dolby Atmos and Hi-Res 5.1 tracks sound very good on my 5.1 system.
Ive always historically much prefered the Hi-Res stereo audio to 5.1 on DVD and BluRay music discs, but recent releases in 5.1 and now ATMOS are now also very good, especially on studio albums, just a shame there is now not too much music being released on DVD and BluRay discs.

2 Likes

The The comeback concert from The Royal Albert Hall. Brilliant concert and sounds great on Blu-ray. I missed out on that gig but saw them at Ashton Gate later, which was poor by comparison, awful acoustics since it was under one of the stands. Have tickets for next Sept in Wolverhampton though😄.

1 Like

New Dolby ATMOS arrival today from the USA, there are still a few new discs being released worldwide which is good.

1 Like

Back on topic.
Urban Jungle Tour of Europe in 1990, August at Wembley Stadium what a great show and fantastic memories of a great day in London.
The Stones were brilliant, especially after many years of not touring.

3 Likes

Hackney Diamonds arrived today with Hi-Res 24/96 Stereo and Dolby ATMOS.
Been listening to this album for the last 2 weeks on Tidal in Hi-Res 24/96 FLAC so will be good to listen to the ATMOS version.
The Stones are my favourite band so very pleased to add this to my Stones collection of CD’s, DVD’s and BluRay Discs.
Just waiting for the 60th Anniversary Concert Tour BluRay to be released now as this tour did not come to Australia.

1 Like

Had the original VHS tape version of this 40 years ago and now for the 40th Anniversary a 4K version is now on at the cinema’s, hopefully they will release it on 4K BluRay disc.

2 Likes

Simply outstanding Albert Hall concert.

1 Like

Played this and realised this Limited Deluxe Edition 4 Disc Box Set has a Dolby ATMOS sound to go with the 4K video restoration.
Bought this in the 2019 Boxing Day Sale in HMV in Edinburgh when we were there to celebrate my wife’s 60th birthday and Hogmanay as she was born in Edinburgh.
Really great memories.

1 Like

I hadn’t watched this Blu-ray in quite a few years and certainly not on my LG 77" G2.
Gave it an outing last night and was even more bowled over than i was the first time i watched it. Played in 5.1 DTS the sound was just out of this world. If your a Sade fan i would defo recommend this one for your collection.

5 Likes

I have the Sade Live DVD from a concert from 1994 it is one of the pre-Bluray DVD’s which has a LPCM soundtrack, which most of the good music DVD’s had before Bluray discs came out.
The Bluray Standard required the discs to have a LPCM soundtrack so record companies mostly then dropped LPCM on music DVD’s and focussed on Bluray discs for new releases.
I will have to keep an eye out for the Sade Bluray at my second hand record shops, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

You can get the Blu-Ray from Amazon. It’s only £10.53 and worth every penny :grinning:

1 Like

I will check out Amazon Australia to see if they have it, if not the postage from the UK or USA will be more than the cost of the disc.
Appreciate the advice and help.

Read the review of the Sade Bluray and then realised that I actually saw this concert on the Perth Foreshore, sitting on the grass with a picnic and wine, as it was part of the World Tour, So I’ve bought it from Amazon and got free international shipping with Amazon Prime.
Many thanks for posting about the disc, much appreciated.

I haven’t bought many concert DVDs in the past but have latched into this now that I have taken digital out on the Panasonic TV tuner/recorder and via a Mogami cable routed the signal into the ND555. Amazing the difference to the BBC News theme through the 500 system as I’ve said elsewhere! Now my visits to charity shops include a look at the DVDs and Blu-Rays!

2 Likes

New BluRay for Christmas with classic videos.

2 Likes

Just bought

I don’t think there will be a happy ending for all concerned

1 Like

New disc arrived in the post today.
Dolby ATMOS as well as Hi-Res Stereo.
Quite a few classic albums now being released with these audio formats which is great.

3 Likes