What now for 272 owners?

Worth doing a forum search on this, there is a mass of information/opinion out there, don’t expect a definitive answer or much agreement though, some folks have been very passionate about this…….

1 Like

It is and so it should be given its price and position in the hierarchy, but where a system is generally under-used and for most of the time is a glorified radio in its current context it’s something that might be worth exploring.

Thanks.

In that situation it’s probably all you need and more.
But that isn’t what you asked.

After I got a 272 and still had the ND5xs, I tried comparing the streamer in the 272 to the ND5xs using the 272 as a preamp only… the streamer in the 272 won by quite a margin.

(Adding a 555DR was an even greater improvement though!)

1 Like

Even though it’s not everything in terms of designing a DAC the DAC chipset in 272 is the same as in NDX2.

1 Like

Can you tell on which amp and speakers?

NAP300DR & modified Spendor SP2s.

1 Like

It’s called habituation. Whatever “thing” we desire, no matter how superb, becomes old hat after a while. I am sure the buddists have had something to say about it. Habituation makes the world go round.

1 Like

Didn’t know that, thanks!

My wish for a new 272 have stopped recently. Adding the 555PSDR created something spectacular and I’m constantly amazed by the performance of this “multi” box on my 300DR. Adding a Lumin U1 Mini streamer to make it compatible with everything out there also took it a great leap forward to in sound performance and recently I added a separate power supply (Sbooster) to the Lumin making everything just wonderful. I had in mind moving to 252,NDX2 for a while but I might stay here and just enjoy music instead. Don’t mess with things that work.

6 Likes

Know what you mean, I was thinking the same whilst listening to my similar set-up last night.
I’ve got Roon on my 272 via my server, but the possibility of a sound up-lift via the Lumin U1 Mini or similar, is appealing even though it is contradictory to my opening remark! Does it make a big difference?

That sounds interesting. Is the Lumin connected to the 272 with a digital cable?

I was worried about redundancy with the 555PS if I used another box - but I checked with Naim to see how much of the 272 is improved by 555PS and it’s pretty much everything (analog, digital and the streaming board) so there should still be a significant benefit using the digital input.

As things stand that’s probably the way I’m going to have to go - unfortunately.

Yes I run it with a BlueJeans BNC-BNC between Lumin and 272. Works great. The Lumin app is pretty horrible so I do recommend using Roon which makes it a great user experience compared to both the Naim app and Lumin.

The Lumin U1 mini is a wonderful streamer that get top reviews everywhere. A friend of mine just bought one too and said it was one of the best investments he had made in HIFI (fwiw). If you read the What HIFI review then that’s spot on what I’ve experienced.

I really recommend it and if you can get it home for a loan and trial then :ok_hand:

Not sure if anyone’s said this before - haven’t read the whole thread :wink: - but has anyone suggested, at least from a functionality point of view, that the Atom HE would appear to be a good pointer as to what might be included in a ‘372’…… ?

It does appear to be a streaming pre amp…… just thinking aloud.

KR, J

2 Likes

Personally I don’t see the value proposition
In a 272 replacement as the range currently stands.

Id rather see a better supernait - basically a 252/250dr in one box. Would make a fantastic two box system with an NDX2

But building the digital front end into an analogue pre just created a pathway to obsolescence in a otherwise long lived component…

5 Likes

Well not quite - it would be a 3 box system as need the xpsdr for ndx2 :+1:

1 Like

Have you grabbed an NDX2 yet @Bevo and joined the dark side?

Dark side mate :crazy_face:

1 Like

Oops no haven’t joined the dark side

Misread

Staying on the bright side :smiley: