What now for 272 owners?

This is the point - what’s the point of a compact system if your just going to add power supplies all over the place - it makes the idea of a steaming pre amp pontless IMO. Why do you need an xpsdr - doesn’t an NDX2 have its own power internally…

2 Likes

If one is going to spend handsomely on an integrated 252/250dr , one needs to get the best out of the front end otherwise waste of money

The xpsdr will enhance the performance of the ndx2 as I’m told

See what the gurus say about it here

I’m sure it would. I guess what I’m getting at is if you are design components to be a compact system - then they should Be designed to work as a compact system. This is why I don’t think A 272 replacement is on the cards - to really do the USP justice it’s going to be too cannibalistic of existing sales and once you have more than two boxes I think it makes
More sense for the steamer to be seperate anyway as they seem to have shorter product lifecycles
Than pre amps and power amps etc….the problem with the current 272 is the built in obsolescence of the digital element is essentially killing the residual value of the otherwise very good pre amp.

Yep agree with your logic re 272

2 Likes

We’ve already made it clear that the streaming pre-amp concept is alive and well at Naim - and just one of the reasons why the Uniti Atom Headphone Edition is proving phenomenally popular, busting all predicted sales forecasts…

6 Likes

I think we can conclude that there will be a streaming pre-amp and it won’t be a new 272, as many have been saying for a while now. Read a Nova styled box with no add on PS.

An updated 272 with the new display and streaming section would have arrived years ago.

Thanks Clare. I get that for the lower end consumer stuff like atoms etc but the obsolescence of the digital side of a steaming pre might make people pause spending a significant amount on what are for many 10 year + investments that they expect to have a decent residual on if it comes to trading up… though I’m sure of you do bring out a 272 equivalent replacement it will be stunning!!

1 Like

Pure speculation on your part.

As noted many times- including on this thread - COVID (and all its knock-on effects) have forced many companies, not just Naim, to rejig launch plans. The Atom HE itself launched more than a year after we planned to do so, for example.

2 Likes

Naim is still supporting its original streaming platform, which does everything it does - and more - from when it was launched more than a decade ago. That’s not obsolescence.

6 Likes

I had my 1986 NAIT 2 fully serviced by Naim HQ number of years ago

How’s that for no obsolescence

Sensational :+1:

9 Likes

Isn’t it a change to have a company that values its old customers and products as well as its new ones! All this talk about obsolescence is quite frankly cobblers!!

3 Likes

Also let s put things into perspective. When the 272 came out streaming was still in developement and nowhere near today. For people who do mainly streaming from their own network it is still a very good product, featurewise. Apparently its processing power is limited so it can t cope with the newer, more demanding streaming features.

Nowadays streaming has almost reached maturity as everbody is offering some kind of hi-res (so what is more to come…) and i don t think the new streaming platform will be outdated anytime soon. I think Naim knew that very well when designing the new streaming platform, as it seems to have plenty of headroom for processing more intensive tasks.

So even if do agree to some extent that merging a preamp and a streamer is potentially more prone to getting obsolete, i don t think this will happen to the upcoming product whatever it will be.

6 Likes

A sensible and balanced view!

that’s great and the Atom is wonderful, understand you have prioritised it, yet you could have tried the 272 update to see what busting forecasts is :)) … but I guess this is for a direction Naim was actually not quite sure about and perceived a business risk overall and to the conventional predictable box+upgrade PSU multi-component strategy…. which may have been the right business decision at the time? My honest view - certainly not any longer, not even short term but hey I am only in charge of my own system :sunglasses:

Couldn’t agree more Clare, thought about moving from 272/250DR to NDX2/SN3 and concluded that the latter was more shiny-shiny
new/different than upgrade so added an XPSDR to the 272 and am delighted with the outcome.

BTW, I cannot see any problem with the legacy streamer update to 4.8 - yes it’s an utter faff and overly complicated by comparison to an over the air update but it DOES work, especially if you read the release notes :grinning:.

KR, J

2 Likes

Thanks for the update again @Naim.Marketing! More than happy to see that the streaming pre-amp is still alive :wink:

Still a very happy 272/250DR owner here … I don’t get it when people continue to mention upgrading to an NDX2/282 as suggested by many here, not only in this topic.

Where I live - The Netherlands - this requires an additional outlay of EUR 13.875 including the HiCap which I need as well because of the NAP250DR.

I assume that I’m not the only one that simply can not and will not spend these amounts of money!

Let’s be patient and enjoy what I have right now :wink:

3 Likes

Of course, I might be the only one here with two kids in college and limited funds :wink:

3 Likes

Education in The Netherlands isn’t that expensive, Klout10! Nevertheless, less than 3 years left and the eldest goes to Uni.

I’ve listened to an Atom HE and my dealer said that a Nap 250 pairs nicely with it. This will also give the impossibility to add a power supply which is a great aspect in controling upgraditis.

2 Likes

i’ve been considering Vega G2.1 to replace 272/555 into my 40a …just wondering what cables you used to link to the speakers.

@parleeking I use Mark Grant XLRs (which are Canare L4E6S Star Quad Balanced Cables). Also have a pair of Blue Jeans XLRs (which are Belden 1800F Balanced Audio Cables). I have also demo’d some Chord Epic XLRs, which were 10x the price of the other two options. All three cables sounded identical, so I currently use the Mark Grant’s as I like the finish on them.

1 Like