What records will you admit to owning which others may not?

I bought the 100 years of Rupert the Bear anniversary limited edition of “We all Stand Together” only last year. No embarrassment here. Embrace the love for the Frog Chorus.

3 Likes

It was the '70s and I would imagine that an awful lot of what went on would be deemed unacceptable these days.

I don’t know what came over me, but for some reason I bought this:

I have that one and several others of hers.
Saw her live on her comeback tour after breaking her back in that accident.
She was pretty darned amazing.

1 Like

I grew up with The Wombles, “Remember You’re A Womble” vied for the top spot back in the day and that was competing with the likes of Gary Glitter, Abba and Showaddywaddy. That Mike Batt knew how to write a tune, that’s for sure!

1 Like

Hormones?

3 Likes

OK guys, this is starting to get embarrassing now. Another one of your picks that I happen to still own. Just had a look at the handful of 7" singles I own and I ask myself “WTF were you thinking?”. My list includes;
Remember You’re a Womble - The Wombles
Funky Moped - Jasper Carrott (obviously bought for Magic Roundabout on the ‘B’ side)
If - Yin and Yan
Whispering Grass - Windsor Davies and Don Estelle
Gimme Dat Ding - The Pipkins
Chanson D’Amour - Manhattan Transfer
The Black Eyed Boys - Paper Lace
Goin’ Home - The Osmonds
Daydreamer/The Puppy Song - David Cassidy

I also have a handful of my late Mother’s (honestly) singles from the likes of Demis Roussos, Jim Reeves, Tammy Wynette, Tammy Jones and Neville Dickie.

I believe this currently puts me in the lead for the “Saddest Collection” award?? :1st_place_medal: :trophy:

2 Likes

Probably should shut the thread and announce you as a worthy winner. :grin:

3 Likes

Thank you Sir. Wouldn’t like to close the thread, just raise the embarrassment bar a little!

1 Like

“I believe this currently puts me in the lead for the “Saddest Collection” award??”

Oooh, could be Swanny BUT the entire Wombles back catalogue, all the soundtracks to all the Disney cartoons (complete with the stories in the gatefolds), plus The Goodies and Benny Hill might just pip it, particularly as I bought them all with my own pocket money. Simply no excuse…

1 Like

That’s what I’m talkin’ 'bout! Bar raised!
I doff my cap to you, young man. It takes an impressive amount of effort to be that sad.
I pass on the award… :1st_place_medal: :trophy:…I’m proud of you.

Cheers Swanny - at least I don’t have any Jive Bunny…er, actually let me check…

1 Like

I’m astonished no one has yet to fess up to owning anything by Englebert Humperdinck….a step too far?

1 Like

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Seekers, lovely stuff.

My dirty secret - Status Quo.

2 Likes

“I’m astonished no one has yet to fess up to owning anything by Englebert Humperdinck….a step too far?”

I don’t think so - it would take a “Mr.Blobby”, Black Lace or The Smurfs to really take the crown. Failing that, pretty much anything by Justin Bieber or James Blunt would be a sure fire winner IMHO…

My first gig was Showaddywaddy. Very disappointed I can’t access the a;vum I used to own via streaming. These things have to be done.

Second gig - Smokie.

Third gig - The Glitter Band or the G Band as they were by then.

It’s one thing to own their records, quite another thing to pay good money and actually see them perform, if “perform” is the right word to use! Most of the acts I’ve seen were fairly decent but 2 I went to might raise some eyebrows - The Village People (who were actually great fun, though only had 3 songs they played over and over) and Sigue Sigue Sputnik who were absolutely bloody dreadful, worst gig ever.

I saw the Sex Pistols, I hated them but went with a mate.

I once had a girlfriend who demanded that I take her to see Cliff Richard. The relationship didn’t last.

5 Likes

I have this. Some good songs in an poppy 80s sort of way.