What releases are you looking forward to

Will you get a copy to review Kev as I’d be very interested to hear your thoughts before shelling out on what is a very pricey box set?

I’ve got it on high-res digital (sent today) so am waiting for a physical copyt o arrive. But it looks very very good and the PDF of the book indicates a really well-researched project with fabulous attention to detail…

1 Like

Absolutely loved the Dorothy Ashby Third Man pressing I got last week but perhaps I’ll wait for the Tidal stream and your impressions of the vinyl.

On the new Rhino High Fidelity label, a KG-cut version of Coltrane’s Sound. Tip on gatefold, etc.

More on Fremer’s Tracking Angle site: Rhino Launches "Rhino High Fidelity"—a New AAA Limited Edition "Premium Vinyl" Reissue Series! | Tracking Angle

3 Likes

It’s a great album that’s on high rotation here. Bit of a surprise tbh.

3 Likes

Pricey though at £45 I’ve wanted a good copy for a while though and it’s cheaper than the ORG reissue.

More from the wonderful Coral. Search for their own website for links.

5 Likes

I think there only available direct from Rhino in the US?

You should be able to get it from the Dig! Uk store @Dreadatthecontrols – not cheap though!

1 Like

Thanks not familiar with Dig will check them out. I dont need Coltranes Sound as its in Rhino’s Heavyweight Champion Atlantic albums set and I’m happy with it but maybe other titles.

Maybe Diverse and others can source them as imports but I’m under the impression that their only available from Rhino direct, for now anyway.

Edit: yeah Dig shows In Stock £45

Just had a listen on Spotify and they are both brilliant. Shame they have only 7 songs each

That’s my understanding as well. I ordered a copy of Coltrane’s Sounds and with shipping + tax it was over $50. That’s going to limit what I buy in the series. Anyway, it is on the way and should be here in a few days. I have an old Rhino from 10 yrs ago or so to compare. I only bought the new one because it’s mastered by Kevin Gray.

1 Like

This looks potentially interesting…

Sun Ra Arkestra saxophonist Knoel Scott reaches for the sky to release debut studio album Celestial with long-time collaborator Marshall Allen

Best known for his long-standing role in Sun Ra Arkestra, saxophonist, composer, vocalist and performer Knoel Scott is a jazz legend in his own right. A celebration of his tight knit relationship with Arkestra leader Marshall Allen, Celestial marks Scott’s first major studio release after more than 40 years at the vanguard of modern jazz.

Recorded in mono direct to tape and cut on a Scully lathe at the all-analogue Artone Studio in the Netherlands, Celestial brings together an inter-generational ensemble including bright sparks of the UK jazz scene, Charlie Stacey and Mikele Montolli, alongside Arkestra alumnus Chris Henderson.

The new single Makanda is available now, and the full album will be released on 28th July 2023.”

3 Likes

Taken from Yussef’s up and coming record Black Classical music featuring lot’s of very interesting collaborations including Chronixx and this track with Tom Misch.

3 Likes

ABC - The Lexicon Of Love: Half Speed Master Vinyl LP. This could be interesting. There are two versions, a standard half speed master single LP and a spendy boxed 3LP set, featuring extra tracks and concert footage. Inessential for me, but as the standard original LP sounds so good, I do wonder what the half speed mastering will bring to the party.

5 Likes

A brilliant album but I bet the DR has taken a hit as is normally the case with these things.

Goat | The Gallows Pole | 7th July | bandcamp pre-order (now)

Much blurb about this soundtrack album that’s going to be used by the BBC:

GOAT return with ‘The Gallows Pole’, their second soundtrack album, following their score for the 2017 British independent horror film ‘Double Date’.

‘The Gallows Pole’ is a three-part Element Pictures production, written and directed by Shane Meadows that is being aired in the UK on BBC Two with all episodes available to watch BBC iPlayer.

This album includes five brand new tracks from the score and three existing tracks Shane Meadows selected from their back catalogue. The themes and imagery of Benjamin Myers’ source novel seem to be the perfect fit for the band’s mystical, pagan aesthetic, having cultivated a mythology of anonymity from the outset around the band hailing from the remote village of Korpilombo in northern Sweden.

The series, based in rural 18th century Yorkshire, tells a fictionalised tale based on the true story of David Hartley and the Cragg Vale Coiners, which became the biggest fraud in British history.

The talismanic ‘Let It Burn’, finding favour with BBC 6Music listeners when originally released as a standalone single in 2018, opens the soundtrack. This track was one of the key inspirations to Meadows as he was producing the series, and closes each episode.

2 Likes

These have all been delivered to my daughters whilst we’re touring France. Something to look forward to when I return (as well as a Nait 50!).

IMG_0924

2 Likes

In the next few days I have some exceptional records arriving.

s-l400

5 Likes