What releases are you looking forward to

Here’s a press release I’ve just had from Universal, which should be of interest to Brit-Jazz lovers…

BRITISH JAZZ EXPLOSION: Decca Records Announces Major New Jazz Catalogue Reissue Series

Featuring classic albums and sought-after tracks available on vinyl and digitally for the first time since their original release

Launching on July 16th 2021 with deluxe 2LP & 2CD compilation album Journeys In Modern Jazz: Britain (1965-1972) ***Featured artists include Michael Garrick, Stan Tracey, Don Rendell, Mike Westbrook, John Surman, Harry Beckett,

Mike Taylor, Kenny Wheeler, Michael Gibbs and more***

Digging deep into one of the most important catalogues in the world of modern jazz, Decca Records is launching a brand- new, on-going audiophile vinyl reissue series British Jazz Explosion: Originals Re-Cut, which will present a selection of highly regarded British jazz albums made during the 1960s and ‘70s. A number of tracks and albums will be made available on vinyl and digitally for the first time since their original release and the series will launch with a deluxe 2LP & 2CD album ‘Journeys In Modern Jazz: Britain (1965-1972)’ featuring a compilation of tracks from across the series (full tracklisting below).

Featuring rare and sought-after albums from the vaults of British labels such as Decca, Argo, Lansdowne, Deram and Fontana, the series was compiled by producer, author and jazz historian Tony Higgins and will include classic titles such as Don Rendell’s “Space Walk”, Ken Wheeler & the John Dankworth Orchestra’s “Windmill Tilter (The Story Of Don Quixote)” and The New Jazz Orchestra’s “Le Dejeuner Sur l’Herbe”.

All titles in the Originals Re-Cut series have been remastered from the original tapes and will be presented on all-analog 180-gram vinyl pressings including high quality ‘flipback’ sleeves, front-laminated original LP artwork and 12x12 inserts featuring brand-new liner notes.

Tony Higgins: “The current UK jazz scene is in tremendous health and is receiving international recognition. Decca’s British Jazz Explosion series will connect what’s happening now to the pioneers and mavericks of the ‘60s and ‘70s; artists who reframed jazz in their own style and set the foundations of what was to follow in the ‘80s, ‘90s, and beyond.

“It’s fascinating to see the paths and linkages from what was happening 50 years ago to what’s going on today. Whether it’s the orchestrated pastoral jazz of Neil Ardley, the funky jazz-rock of Michael Gibbs, or the super rare experimental modal bop of Mike Taylor, this reissue series and compilation will bring coherence and shape to the musical diversity and stylistic sweep of British jazz in the ‘60s and ‘70s.”

Decca Records/Universal Music Senior Catalogue Manager Kevin Long:

“It is important for Decca/UMG to continue to open the tape archives, and to preserve and tell the story of these historic recordings again. The artists and their much-loved music helped pave the road map to what the modern British Jazz sound is today. Each record is a fascinating listen, capturing the wave and direction of the moment, which will help entice and continue the legacy for a new generation of listeners on a journey to expand their thirst for knowledge on music and culture in Britain during the 1960s & ‘70s.”

BRITISH JAZZ EXPLOSION RELEASE SCHEDULE:

Release Date: 16th July:

Various Artist / Journeys In Modern Jazz: Britain (2LP | 2CD |Digital)

Don Rendell / Space Walk (LP | Digital)

Release Date: 13th August:

Ken Wheeler & the John Dankworth Orchestra / Windmill Tilter (The Story Of Don Quixote) (LP | Digital)

Release Date: 10th September:

The New Jazz Orchestra / Le Dejeuner Sur l’Herbe (LP | Digita)l

+ more titles to be announced for 2022

‘Journeys In Modern Jazz: Britain (1965-1972)’

LP1 SIDE A

1. Ken Wheeler and the John Dankworth Orchestra | Don The Dreamer
  2. Don Rendell Quintet | A Matter Of Time
  3. Collin Bates Trio | Brew
  4. John Surman, John Warren | With Terry’s Help

LP1 SIDE B

1. Michael Garrick Sextet | Second Coming
  2. Mike Westbrook Concert Band | Waltz (for Joanna) 3. Stan Tracey And His Big Band | Matinee Days
  3. Harry Beckett | Third Road

LP2 SIDE A

1. Neil Ardley, Ian Carr, Don Rendell | Greek Variations: VI Kriti [edit]
  2. The New Jazz Orchestra | Angle
  3. Alan Skidmore Quintet | Old San Juan

LP2 SIDE B

1. Diick Morrissey Quartet | Storm Warning
  2. Mike Taylor Quartet | To Segovia
  3. Michael Gibbs | Some Echoes, Some Shadows
4 Likes

Pre ordered Bill Evans box set today, as already mentioned here: Everybody still digs Bill Evans…out on June

1 Like

For all you Madeleine Peyroux fans:

Craft Recordings (yes, them again!) is reissuing her classic Careless Love album as a triple LP and double CD.

Tracklist as follows:

Side A

1. Dance Me to the End of Love

2. Don’t Wait Too Long

3. Don’t Cry Baby

4. You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go

5. Between the Bars

6. No More

Side B

1. Lonesome Road

2. J’ai Deux Amours

3. Weary Blues

4. I’ll Look Around

5. Careless Love

6. This Is Heaven to Me

Side C

1. Dance Me to the End of Love (Live)*

2. Don’t Cry Baby (Live)*

3. Don’t Wait Too Long (Live)*

4. You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Live)*

Side D

1. Between the Bars (Live)*

2. J’ai Deux Amours (Live)*

3. Walking After Midnight (Live)*

4. No More (Live)*

Side E

1. Lonesome Road (Live)*

2. I Hear Music (Live)*

3. I’ll Look Around (Live)*

Side F

1. Careless Love (Live)*

2. Destination Moon (Live)*

3. This is Heaven to Me (Live)*

• Previously unreleased. Recorded at Spain’s Festival de Jazz de Vitoria-Gasteiz on July 15, 2005.

This isn’t a limited edition, but there is a 1,000 copies only coloured vinyl version available exclusively through the Craft and Peyroux web stores. Mr Gray did the cut, I understand.

It’s out 27th August.

6 Likes

Good to see Le Déjeuner sur l’Herbe come out on vinyl (again). I have a CD copy, but never managed to find an ‘acceptably’ priced LP despite looking for umpteen years - ie way before vinyl became fashionable again. Will no doubt finally score an LP version.

1 Like

7 years after his last release Standing In The Breach just got the heads up on this

Jackson Browne - Downhill From Everywhere

Release date is July 23, can’t wait

5 Likes

Michael Stanley - “Tough Room” (2021) I believe this is released tomorrow, May 21, in the US. Recording completed before MS passing away in March. Bittersweet indeed.

1 Like

TTB_LaylaRevisited_Cover_RGB-500x500July release. The whole of Layla and other assorted love songs.

8 Likes

Apparently the oft rumoured Blondie archival box set thing is actually set for release in August.

Which will be nice.

New David Crosby album titles “for free” out July 23rd

9 Likes

Not long to wait now

Crowded House - Dreamers Are Waiting

Released 4th June

3 Likes

Whacked

Just launched so little late, but…

This is very exciting!

I wonder whether we’ll see William Russo and The London Jazz Orchestra’s Stonehenge reissued (in stereo) at some point.

Nina’s debut album is being re-released by BMG on black or blue vinyl, as well as CD, by BMG on 13th August.

According to the blurb: “Additionally, this reissue boasts a fresh stereo mix done by four-time Grammy winner Michael Graves as well as a vinyl remastering by the renowned Kevin Gray. Cheryl Pawelski produced the reissue.”

Little Girl Blue Track listing:

1. “Mood Indigo”
  2. “Don’t Smoke in Bed”
  3. “He Needs Me”
  4. “Little Girl Blue”
  5. “Love Me or Leave Me”
  6. “My Baby Just Cares For Me”
  7. “Good Bait”
  8. “Plain Gold Ring”
  9. “You’ll Never Walk Alone”
  10. “I Loves You, Porgy”
  11. “Central Park Blues”

So there you go!

8 Likes

Looking forward to this my favourite Nina record.

1 Like

Later this month, Rhino releases and expanded version (adding 90+ minutes to the original release) of Mingus At Carnegie Hall) on double CD…

…and in July, triple LP

4 Likes

Eek…I have the original… this is very tempting!

Hope I can hide it in the shelves :grin:

Or…wimp out and get the CD!

Out in July; a previously unreleased (well kinda sorta) Alice Coltrane on LP and CD. Mixed by Steve Genewick and mastered by Kevin Reeves from original 24-track masters.

3 Likes

Pre order for 20th August from Ninjatune…

4 Likes

Surf’s Up is my second favourite BBs album after you-know-what and the title track is my favourite tune of theirs, so this looks potentially very interesting…

7 Likes