What releases are you looking forward to

Even in this package there is no sign of a download code. Having ordered one of the vinyl sets, it is a shame not to include a code.

1 Like

Atb
Kk

The problem with download codes is that they are hardly ever redeemed these days. As streaming (and high-res streaming especially), continues to dominate, it is simply not worth the administrative costs and server space to offer download (unless you sell direct and let Bandcamp handle that side of things). It’s actually cheaper to just chuck a CD in for free. I think redemption of downloads codes is now under 2%.

1 Like

Thanks Kevster, that is interesting and I am very surprised the take up is so low. Of course, including a CD is not really an option for the basic packages.
I’ll make do with just the vinyl.

I would buy more music if the CD was included with the vinyl. However, this is becoming a rarity and I have to consider if the vinyl/CD bundle is really worth the extra cost.

I.m surprised about that too @TheKevster .
I’m buying a fair bit of vinyl and always download with the code where available to the extent that I would rather order from Bandcamp with occasionally tear inducing postage charges to Australia to ensure I get a download. Preparing for the day the internet pipes are turned off!!

My biggest peeve is vinyl advertised to come with a download code but the quality is only mp3. I’m looking at you Bella Union. Should know better.

2 Likes

Thinking about it a bit more and I bought the recent JJ Cale , Stay Around, on vinyl which included the cd for a couple of ponds more and of course, cd’s would cost a few pence to include in at least one of the vinyl sets.
I only bought the vinyl as a birthday present to myself, rather than the cd, which in reality would get more plays.
I too would by more vinyl if a decent download or cd was included. Not sure which format carries the greater margin for the record companies though.

1 Like

I think George will be turning in his grave. They seem to have thought of a number and multiplied by four.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve had a few of those infuriating cases. I’ve also had a few cases, where the code gives you the choice of download resolutions including high res (usually 96/24).

I’m really looking forward to this:
Unknown

6 Likes

5 Likes

Physical media, especially vinyl, has the best profit margin.

I thought that it might be. Therefore, I would have thought that record companies would sell more vinyl if they offered the cd or download with it.
I doubt I am the only one who umms and aahhs about whether to buy one medium or the other and I tend to see vinyl as a treat to myself, rather than the default. I also understand that quite a few vinyl buyers don’t even have a turntable, but just want the physical record, so they would presumably buy more records.

Reissued for its 25th anniversary. On cassette too.

I don’t buy much new music but I will buy these two. Both very gifted imho.

John Mayer and Ryan Adams.

5 Likes

I have the originals but do wonder how ‘good’ the remastering will be. Bryan is quite picky about these things.

£110 if you buy all six.

6 Likes

Out 17th July, 2-LP, 2-CD compilation featuring Carr, Ardley, Skidmore, Surman, Rendell, Westbrook, Beckett, Tracey, Dankworth et al…

6 Likes

Out in August, a Japanese-exclusive package of Atom Heart Mother, complete with newly-discovered live footage:

8 Likes

The Electric Muse Revisited. A collection (released at the same time as a book of the same title and theme) charting the early days of English folk-rock and the key contributors, through to some of the most exciting acts in the current scene. Updated version of the original Electric Muse from 1975.

2 Likes

Always had a soft spot for Ronnie since his bass playing days in the Jeff Beck group. This one out in September

4 Likes