What releases are you looking forward to

Joni Mitchell/Archive Years vol. 2. The Reprise Years, 1968-1971.
Available on 29/10/21 as a 5 c/d set, 3 lps or a 10 lp set from Joni’s website.
Can’t wait for this set as it includes the period when “Blue” was released and we’ll be able to hear some of the studio sessions behind this masterpiece.

1 Like

New remasters, released on 2 July.

5 Likes

Don Rendell Quintet, Space Walk.

A great album, but one that’s not easy to find (and expensive if you do, unless you get very lucky). According to the blurb, Vinyl audio remastered & cut from the original master tapes by Gearbox Records. 180grm Optimal Pressing. Flip-back LP sleeve on 380g heavy card, front laminated sleeves with 12 x12 insert with new liner note insert + audio download voucher.

Not cheap at £31, but if it’s good…

2 Likes

“There is also a special deluxe CD+DVD edition . The DVD in this set includes a bonus video album. Toyah has directed a video to accompany each of the ten songs on Posh Pop . There’s no signed version of this format”

Well if they’re anything like her Sunday Lunch videos, the latter may be the more popular buy…

4 Likes

Yes, John Grant on vinyl, just comes with MP3 on the download code, please Bella Union, make at least the FLAC version, ideally the HiRes

Talk about reinvention - well done Toyah

I’ve got a good original of ‘Space Walk’ but even then I’m going to go for this LP !

1 Like

I am one of those who are quite happy with an MP3 version of a vinyl album as I listen to the vinyl at home but the MP3 in the car etc. SO I get pretty fed up of paying high prices for vinyl and not getting a download code.

I understand the issue about many people not using it but frankly if the album is offered as a download then me taking a copy or not can’t really impinge on the record companies provision structure surely? They have the download structure in place already, I just get a copy because I have paid too much for a slab of vinyl!

And knowing all of this, I regret that if I can’t get the album on Bandcamp etc then amazon with a download gets a consideration.

Squeezed quite a lot into this.

Four versions of Turning Japanese anyone?

3 Likes

@James_C – the problem is, that server space, and administering the downloads, is more expensive than you think. And as I’ve said elsewhere, fewer than 2% of downloads codes are redeemed. In most cases it would be cheaper to chuck in a CD for free with the vinyl. In these days of hi-res streaming, it makes no economic sense.

If you’re desperate for a download with your LP, why not try Bandcamp? Most of the time you get at least 44.1/24 files for free to download or stream whenever you buy physical product (the little company I run does just that).

1 Like

Yet more tapes resurfacing - the late great Mike Gibbs and a stellar band Revisiting Tanglewood 63. Band camp pre-order.

6 Likes

@BlueCanary
Ooh, could be interesting. I loved Tanglewood 63 back when it came out. Lost my copy over the years and only recently found an original to replace it. I’ll have a look at Revisiting. Thanks for the heads up!

2 Likes

Aldous Huxley’s next album, whenever it arrives…fascinated to see how she follows the great Party and Designer.

WHOOPS! Harding!

Thanks @Redkev !

I think the curse of autocorrect has struck again, I too am looking forward to Aldous Harding’s next album, but I am waiting rather impatiently for Joanna Newsom to release a new album seeing as it getting on for six years since Divers was released.

1 Like

It’ll be a brave new world.

4 Likes

@Eoink

Steve Miller Band beat her to it…

1 Like

Currently I am listening to a lot from the boss. This album didn’t grab me at first but now…. What an album! Can’t stop listening to it. Cd and vinyl now purchased! Belter

Atb
Kk

10 Likes

Just realised this was the wrong thread :sunglasses:

Atb
Kk

1 Like

Got mine last week - very good indeed. It spurred me to acquire the original Electric Muse on vinyl - some very good material indeed.

Funnily enough I also hit discogs and have a pristine copy of the original vinyl.

1 Like