What’s the most exotic speaker I could use with a Nova?

Tom Waits is indeed brilliant - and super easy to get into, just start listening to his albums in chronological order…

1 Like

Yes. Speaker from Tahiti.

1 Like

Drivers made from st Jacob scallops previously used as bikinis by girls there …

No unauthorised commercial links here please. Thanks.

Used frequently in the David Robicheaux detective books by James Lee Burke. So yes. A very American term

Very true too.
Interesting how the question was turned inside out in just six posts…

1 Like

If only the Naim app allowed you to order discography by release date :grimacing:

Thank heavens for Wikipedia… :grinning:

Yeah, but it’s a shame that you can’t do it directly in the app, shouldn’t be hard to implement.

Edited to be less grumpy :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s nothing to do with the app. Stuff like that is determined by your upnp server. Don’t shoot the messenger.

1 Like

Spotify can manage it, their default sorting method. Anyway, way off topic … had a cr*p day at work if you couldn’t tell already!

1 Like

I don’t think it’s quite as simple as that. Qobuz, Tidal and Roon, for example, are all servers, and they all allow you to view an artist’s albums by release date. Search for the same artist in the Naim app and their albums are a jumbled up mess, even when they come from Tidal or Qobuz.

Some UPnP servers also allow listing by release date. Naim servers certainly don’t, but I vaguely recall using this in Asset some time ago but I don’t recall whether or not the Naim app was able to display such a list.

1 Like

As I understand it, it’s possible with Asset. I’ve not tried it and can live without it anyway. People always seem to want more more more, no matter how good things are. Is sorting by release date really that important?

When exploring an artist you’ve not familiar with, yes, I would say that seeing their albums by release date is useful. You start to understand how their style evolves as they develop, as band members come and go, etc.
Whether that list order alone is helpful is another matter. If I was interested my first stop would be Wikipedia which puts that discography into at least some context.

2 Likes

Personally yes, I find it interesting to listen to how bands start out, mature, evolve, experiment, go off piste, have a break and come back etc. That’s for both bands I know and those new to me.

1 Like

I quite understand, but there are lots of places where artists’ discographies can be checked out. One’s streamer doesn’t need to do everything. Sometimes it’s good to keep things relatively simple - there is less to go wrong.

My recent experience of buying speakers for my Nova was very enlightening. I spent a lot of time listening to a variety of manufacturers and price points including my ancient Ruark floorstanders which I was replacing.

The guy in the shop told me at the outset that it was more about matching than price point and he turned out to be 100% right. It’s partly about the match with the Nova and partly the match with your ears and preferences.

Despite trying speakers that were 2-3 times as expensive the clear winner for me were the Spender A7s (£4k). Surprisingly, the more expensive Spendors didn’t sound as good to my ears probably because the match with the Nova wasn’t as perfect. A couple of years on I’m still delighted by the Spender A7/Nova/Tidal combination.

So I’d audition your existing speakers, which you obviously like, with the Nova and compare them with a few others. (The best standmounts I heard, for my ears, were one of the Harbeth models.)

Oh, and I wouldn’t bother reading the reviews in HiFi mags because the actual listening experience demonstrated they were nonsense.

Best of luck!

1 Like

I don’t think magazine reviews are necessary a bad thing, but they do need to be treated with caution, especially with speakers. Crucial factors are personal taste, system matching, and most importantly, room matching, so even with the same electronics, one speaker will never be the right choice for everyone.

Returning to the thread, rather than a Nova, buy an Atom HE and a pair of 135s. I use that setup to drive a pair of B&W 800D Signature flagship speakers. 135s will drive anything and that system I described sounds great. Not quite as good as the 52/PS/135s B&W800 D3s in my main system, but not far off, and a lot less money.
Best, Adrian

1 Like

Spendor do seem to be a good match with Naim, albeit with careful matching. I have a Nova with wall mounted SA1s in the dining room.
Equally I tried in a different room, bigger Spendors, with similar (or same) all in one, yet found they were in need of a stronger amp.

1 Like