What’s your favourite outro?

1. Dire Straits Communique, Track 2 News. You can hear and feel the skin on the drums as it drums out.
  2. Dire Straits Making Movies, Track 2 Romeo and Juliet. The last 1min 14sec is just Beautiful.
2 Likes

The Band’s “When You Awake” is the only track I can think of that fades out on new lyrics.

1 Like

Coldplay have a few outro’s which sound rather different to the main part of the song, but still seem to fit beautifully. “Warning Sign” from the second album is a good example.

“Leave Me Alone” is the final track on New Order’s classic “Power Corruption and Lies”. It’s an incredibly sad song, yet with an undercurrent of hope throughout. The simple instrumental finale seems entirely appropriate, and ends the album on the most perfect full stop.

3 Likes

The Tony Peluso guitar solo at the end of Goodbye to Love by the Carpenters.

5 Likes

Cow by Sparklehouse
Nothing Ever Happened by Deerhunter

Oh and Kennedy by The Wedding Present - how could I forget that!

1 Like

What about “FM” by Steely Dan? With this one, there are TWO fabulous outros, depending on which version you choose - either the version with Pete Christlieb’s sax, or Walter Becker’s slinky guitar. I like both, but the Walt version is my fave.

2 Likes

The manic saxophone outro on Paul Simon’s Have A Good Time.

1 Like

Yo La Tengo ‘Night Falls at Hoboken’ from ‘And Nothing Turns Itself Inside Out …’

It is the outro to the album, and the track has about 10 of its 17 magnificent minutes wandering off gently into the night on a loping bass note, bits of feedback and odd ambient guitar sounds. The perfect end of the night track.

Great track, album and band. Incidentally new album due in Feb.

Bruce

1 Like

South Side of the Sky from Yes’s Fragile album. Outro solo by Steve Howe.

Expanded upon in the Songs From Tsongas live album where he trades phrases with Mr. Wakeman.
He did something similar with Geoff Downes on The Ice Bridge from Yes’s The Quest album.

1 Like

The Sax ending on “Walk On The Wild Side”, sublime. A great track all round actually.

5 Likes

The great Ronnie Ross on baritone.

6 Likes

I didn’t know that. Just looked him up. Will check out some of his earlier work.

Another sax outro - Sonny Rollins soloing at the end of Waiting for a Friend by the Stones.

3 Likes

Dave has a few memorable outros

This of course follows the slow build. Then a flip for the outro.
But, done with pure class.

4 Likes

The last few seconds of Layla with Duane Allman on slide guitar sounding like birdsong.

2 Likes

Most of the outros on Wishbone Ash’s ‘Argus’ are great. Then again, it’s always a plus to have twin lead guitars (provided the guitarists are up to it, of course).

5 Likes

The last eight minutes of ‘Comfortably numb’!!!

5 Likes

If I had a band we’d finish the concert with this song. The outro would just floor the audience.

We’d be high kicking and tipping hats like the Goodbye Cream pic.

The last few minutes are monumental.

2 Likes

Cheap Sunglasses - ZZ Top.

1 Like

Pete Townshend, Face to face.

1 Like