What’s your most extreme ‘out there’ tweak?

Great room! Love the Japanese style placement of the equipment.

Tell me more about how they improved your system. Thanks!

To be honest I did get the Qpoints because i had “spare” power outlets on my Qsource which is essential to get the most out of the superb Nordost Qnet switch. Did not have very high expectations. I placed one under the qnet and 1 on top of the Linn DSM (over what i think is the DA section). Tested for a few hrs with the different permutations of modes (green or blue) and concluded that I preferred blue on both. The impact was not big but I perceived a sense of increased precision and dynamics. The green setting added some warmth but was less precise.

2 Likes

Curious - what have you done here then?

Hi @Josaa, can I ask you what’s your point of view about the QBase and also the QSource? I’ve always been a fan of Nordost cables (I have them in my system) but I’ve never been able to experience those products and have always wondered if they are worth the expense. My system is decoupled with a dedicated rack and I have dedicated mains and grounding, those made quite a difference.
Nice and simple cable lifters, did you make them yourself?

Here are some more pics. Basically drilled 4 holes, steelrods into concrete slabs under house, some pipe isolation, some locking nuts, steel profile, granite.

4 Likes

heres mine, cut holes in my floor

bare earh 2ft down, shuttered up and ready for three wheelbarrows of concrete per hole

concrete in with isolation rubber between floor

granite fixed to concrete with adhesive,5mm gap above floor

all finished,sbls as they should be, huge improvement

19 Likes

How do you explain that if you someday sell and move?! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

will have to sell to sbl owner i suppose, might broaden it a bit and include mk2 owners aswell

4 Likes

Excellent - May give something like this a go.

I am also a Nordost fanboy so I have a biased view. I evaluated Qbase 2 against Torus isolation transformer, Audience Adept filter, Ifi Powerstation, The Powerigel and Audioquest Niagara 3000. The Qbase but with Nordost V2 powercable was best but also the most expensive- did mot add anything. For my Naim rig I settled on the Niagara that added some nice warmth while in my big system I have Qbases. The Qbase in it self is just a well made star earthed distribution block that is impedance matched (what ever that is).

The Qsource i have only evaluated as part of the Qnet (and Qpoint) where it works excellent! Very well made LPS and I plan to get a Roon Nucleus to supply from it as well. I full Nordost ayatem will bring some synergies but not all parts add liniar improvements. I would recommend you test the Qkore. I also have the powerline sorted etc but the QKore really made the noise level drop.

1 Like

Now you are talking!!! I thought I was extreme. I can at least make my mod disappear with the plugs I saved.

Impressive work

Thank you for the description, it’s interesting to know about your experience.

The Valhalla 2 powercable must be quite a good one, I only have Red Dawns. Stil they had quite an effect on both my source and amp. So, just to be clear, the V2 had an impact while the Qbase did nothing at all and left the sound untouched? I thought at least it helped to open the soundstage and give more punch to the general performance. So it’s the cable to make the difference, not the power block.

The Qkore seems very interesting, I hope to experience it some day!

1 Like

Some real dedication there on the rack installs/isolation!

The following tweaks were not at all nerdy or born of OCD… :

1. Using wine corks as spacers/ bridge pillars to stop 2 mains leads from touching one another where they crossed

2. replacing the 99.999% pure OFC dc cable that powers our OpticalRendu music streamer with a silver cored one, then swapping back to the copper one because it made music sound more emotionally involving

3. attaching precisely the right spec of ferrite clamps around the M Scaler to DAVE cables to block the 2GHz RFI that M Scaler emits.

4. placing 30 grade sorbothane feet with 2p piece tops between the feet of a Musicworks mains block and its glass Hifi rack shelf to minimise vibration transmission into the mains block (this one’s for you @PeterR )

5. periodically switching the balanced power supply’s breaker switches off and on in order to clean the contacts and minimise impedance.

6. trying a range of expensive balanced interconnect cables to replace the £25 Neutrik terminated Mogami ones, despite knowing that all balanced interconnects sound the same. Clue: no they very much don’t. One for all you Naim New Classic system owners :joy:

Excessive use of a spirit level for everything surely doesn’t count, does it ?:crazy_face:

Best regards,

Slightly Deranged.

8 Likes

Good effort!

1 Like

Thanks Neil. On the basis of your post, I’ve added another, topical one to the list.

1 Like

Guilty - although the two pole isolator and MCB on my dedicated CU :flushed:

1 Like

Thats a great excuse for drinking quality vintage wine👍

2 Likes