What’s your most extreme ‘out there’ tweak?

What I did and caused much less damage to the carpet was putting large cross headed screws into the floor then sat the spikes in them.
Much more focus and tuneful bass too.
Depends if you don’t mind the minor floor damage under the carpet.
The sound difference is large. :+1:t2:

7 Likes

In other words put it on a piece of plastic because it leaks snake oil…

My biggest tweaks was to build a music room just for my stereo. Applying the room acoustics has a bigger effect than anything else you can do. Dry wall nailed with acoustic/insulating fiber between the studs, and quiet rock wall board glued over the top. Like a recording studio with a live end and dead end (with 5 layers of fiber board hung half an inch apart and hung to float freely with fishing line from the ceiling - no standing waves allowed and reflective panels and whisky bottles to reflect behind the speakers. Plus a separate power supply grounded (earthed to the rebar in the concrete floor and copper spikes in the back yard. And a console made from a sandwich of birch with rubber between, plus a box for the turntable filled with sand to eliminate vibration. Quite some tweaks. The only Naim kit I have is a Naim Aro that is 40 years old.

15 Likes

Looks superb, what a project!

1 Like

Very nice, congrats !
Just one thing, I have the impression that you are sitting too close to your speakers. Maybe it’s the picture ?

Divorce?

My most obscure tweak is probably this Vortex Oscillation Alignment Card.

A while ago I visited a dealer, spent some listening time in a very relaxed atmosphere.
The sound was good but I did not like the speakers.
Yet for whatever reason I was under the impression that I felt more relaxed than I would usually do when visiting a dealer and listening to speakers I don’t like.

Room treatment was sparse, so I asked the dealer what he did to create such a relaxing atmosphere.

He then pointed to items that seemed randomly laying around and explained to me that these items were reducing electromagnetic interferences.

Well.

Not understanding anything about this topic I bought this Card and applied to my Wifi Router at home.

Not sure it makes a difference though.

3 Likes

Maybe the photo is to blame. The seating position is correct since these are not regular speakers. They need far more room behind them and not as much in front. They are from a design by Siegrfried Linkwitz, open baffle dipole speakers with a dedicated intimately designed analog signal processor. What you see is not a box. It comprises two steel frames that do not touch and completely isolate the bass drivers and the midrange tweeters, then covered by a frame that holds the speaker grille to make it look like a box. But they are completely open with one base driver pointing forwards and one pointing back. The speaker wires and power cables are buried in PVC pipes in the concrete floor. I have a Lumin streamer with 5TB drive of ultra hi-res digital files, a Resonessence Mirus D/A converter reading files from a 1TB MicroSD card, a modern spec Linn TT with Naim Aro and Linn Kandid cartridge and an input selection box all wired with solid silver interconnects. I do not use a preamp but a Graham Slee phontstage and a 6*200W RMS class D power amp from ATI. Sounds great both digital and analog.

2 Likes

Fraim was a pretty out there tweak but it’s a decent looking piece of furniture if it fits your motif. :smiley:

1 Like

I brought one of these a while back, thecableco rr-888-ultra-low-frequency-pulse-generator
After lots of listening I decided it did absolutely nothing.
Schuman frequency of 7.83hz

Effect
RR-888 changes your listening room to the sound field without muddiness and fills it with a feeling of air, reproducing a realistic sound stage where all the musical instruments are set free.

3 Likes

Either genius or further proof I’ve lost it. Had a problem with risers for the strange old speaker cable shape. So here’s a new one… Blue Peter would be proud! Buy some wooden toy wheels (2"). Buy some wooden pegs, cut the head of the peg off. Drill the wheel holes slightly wider than the peg. Wrap some wire sheathing with the wire removed around the thin end of the peg (to hold in position whilst glue dries) and shove it in the hole. Now glue the peg in position using wellie shoe goo . It’s a very, very flexible rubber based glue. Finish off with a furniture felt pad underneath. Hey presto - speaker risers!

10 Likes

Nurse! Nurse!

7 Likes

So brilliant it has to be a contender up there with your cable lagging :joy:

2 Likes

The wheels have indeed come off the trolley.

Well done, superb effort!

G

5 Likes

Waiting on an Ikea delivery… more botches coming later this week pending delivery. Going to have a go at building isolation platform that can take the 70kg amps… watch this space!

1 Like

Probably both. :grin:

Many years ago, my system sounded off and my dealer installed some of Franck Tchang’s resonance bowls and “sugar cubes”. The character of the room certainly seemed to change and dare I say it, improved (though I never tried putting one in the fridge!). In the end, the problem was an intermittent fault with my amp so the bits and pieces were sent back. I still occasionally consider trying them again…

1 Like

Copper ! Marantz were right with their CD player of the 80’s. Adding copper GND plates makes a huge difference to chassis that are GND through steel cases, discover sheilding foil and suddenly everything looks like it might benefit :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Yes, the ultra clarifier absolutely works! When I bought mine about 15 years ago, I could totally hear a huge difference, not sure how or why but don’t care either.

now at 62 years of age, I can’t hear the difference as much, but I still love spending my discs on it in advance

4 Likes

Decoupled my hifi rack from the house. Big improvement on sound.

Bought a Swiss 500 GBP spirit level with an accuracy of 0,05 mm/m. Conclusion: nothing is level!

Made (myself!) covers for my Linn Sara speakers I have in the green house. No impact on sound but saves the speakers.

Replaced the internal power cables in my Linn Komri for Nordost Frey 2. Slight improvement.

And I also have 2 of the Nordost Qpoint Resonators mentioned with “suspicion” earlier in the thread. Small but important improvement (when set to “Blue”)

10 Likes