What the hell is an audiophile recording?

As of now, It’s on my list.
It’s here at Frank_Sinatra-The_Concert_Sinatra-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record
but is there a high res download somewhere?

I hope you enjoy it, for many years it was one of the stalwarts of audiophile auditions

I don’t know about HiDef downloads

1 Like

Couldn’t find it on HDTracks.

I mentioned several MFSL releases of his Capitol albums. I have a few, and they are excellent (even if you don’t have an SACD player), but some (all?) may be hard to find.

2 Likes

“Only the lonely” is one of my all time favorite records, so anything with this combination of genius is most welcome.

1 Like

MFSL released a mono version of “Only the Lonely.” It’s a CD, not an SACD, but it sound very good.

For extensive information about Sinatra’s Capitol albums and some of the Reprise albums, check this web site.

1 Like

1 Like

All the Sound Liaison albums are now available in 24/96 Flac on BandCamp;
Sound Liaison.bandcamp.com
A must have and an easy introduction to the Sound Liaison universe is the very fine DXD recording sampler; The Visual Sound’ in my opinion a must have.

[The Visual Sound. The Sound Liaison DXD Music Sampler. 24bit/192khz version | Audiophile 24bit Hi-Res Studio Masters by Sound Liaison]

Thanks!!! :grinning: Great info.

1 Like

thx for that

best wishes

1 Like

+1

2 Likes

Sounds like a quiet party for a new years eve…but I would love to have been present!

1 Like

I don’t know if there is a consensual or normative definition to « audiophile recording » (recording skills, mastering quality, output format…?) but as I « feel it », the most important is the taking attention. I had some marketed audiophile albums (Carmen Gomez for exemple), but I didn’t found them more lively or enjoyable than some RCA 60´s recordings in CD support (agree with @jegreenwood, some are superbes). Maybe it’s my musical taste, my ears or my system limitations but DSD files doesn’t sound more spectacular, neither less, to me than other output formats.

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s an audiophile record but this one sounds great on the Hugo 2 (less impressive with the Nova but still very good).

Hifi -critic seems to agree. See this review:
“This is about as simple a recording as you’re ever going to hear: two musicians, one microphone and each track performed live, straight to DXD recording – and it’s totally enchanting…all that spontaneity comes over in spades in this set, which has the usual Sound Liaison recording quality, plus that unmistakable sense of two musicians just bouncing off each other, improvising and making the shape of the songs up as they went along. This is as live as it gets, with a real “in the room with the musicians” impression.’”—Andrew Everard, Hifi Critic

Blockquote

1 Like

Not DSD or DXD or 1589/ 3567 ( :joy:) , only 24/48 . Bandcamp.
The voice is wonderfully rendered. Reminds me so much Nina Simone voice.

Deron Johnson playing Steinway Baby Grand, Mellotron, Casio Synth
Jon Flaugher playing Double Bass
Jimmy Paxson playing Drums, Percussion
Chris Seefried playing Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar
Troy “Trombone Shorty” Andrews playing Trumpet

Recorded and Mixed By Seth Atkins Horan
Mastered By Bernie Grundman, At Bernie Grundman Mastering LA CA
Recorded at Sunset Sound LA CA
Mixing at Gnu Gnome LA CA

2 Likes

The voice is by Lady Blackbird.

Very nice. Bought it. Well recorded and great voice and arrangements. Thanks!
Track 3 fix it is Peace Piece written by Bill Evans it later became the basis for Blue in Green

1 Like

Maybe you know that one? Available 24/96 on Qobuz. Michael Fremer found it specially well recorded.

Cecile Mc Lorin Salvant

5 Likes

It’s always pleasant when someone shares the music we like.
Did you found that the woman voice is similar to Nina Simone?

My favourite tracks: it’s always easy and Blackbird.

3 Likes

24/88 Qobuz. ECM recording

“Today there is a whole galaxy of piano-bass-drum trios in the contemporary jazz world,” a BBC Music Magazine reporter recently remarked, “but few shine with the brilliance of one directed by Marcin Wasilewski”. From BBC Music Magazine

The Marcin Wasilewski Trio’s seventh ECM album traverses material by such disparate composers as J.S. Bach, Carla Bley and The Doors and brings it all together in a seamless package which also includes three spontaneously created group improvisations. It is a beauty.

Pianist Marcin Wasilewski, bassist Slawomir Kurkiewicz and drummer Michal Miskiewicz have been playing together for almost thirty years, first as the Simple Acoustic Trio, then as three-quarters of trumpeter Tomasz Stanko’s Quartet, then under Wasilewski’s name. It shows. The musicians operate as one while passing the baton between each other, sometimes as often as every bar or two. Few groups could stay together for so long without getting set in their ways, but somehow this one has.

En Attendant opens with the first of the three group improvs, “In Motion (Part 1),” which, like “Part 11” and “Part 111,” spins on a dime between the reflective and the assertive. “Variation No. 25,” from Bach’s “Goldberg Variations,” follows. Jacques Loussier, bless him, this is not. Neither is it as radical a reimagining as Cecil Taylor might have brought to the piece. Time is stretched and new emphases found but the topline stays pretty much intact. From All about Music site

7 Likes