What the hell is an audiophile recording?

Not many recordings stands up to his criteria( one point stereo). Naim records does not have any…
There is a few Chesky recordings but personally I don’t like the sound of those.
This one microphone recording does sound fantastic:
Carmen Gomes One Microphone recording

But it is the only one I know of that meets Steve Guttenberg’s demands and also SOUNDS good.

But if any of you have any recommendations please do post them here.

Mr Guttenberg needs a house cleaner…

4 Likes

Anything that’s musically engaging and sounds good I guess. That encompasses everything from the Beatles, the Floyd and the Dan through to Buddy Holly’s first album, lots of Dead and the first Ese & The Vooduu People album :sunglasses: Most self-consciously “audiophile” releases (Chesky, Sheffield Labs etc) are unlistenable dreck.

You just need some decent equipment, a good room, a skilled engineer, a sympathetic producer and mastering and most importantly of all, good tunes performed by great musicians. It’s not complicated.

3 Likes

Good marketting and gulliable customers add up to an audiophile recording is a cynical answer. How far from the truth this is will be open to debate I expect.

1 Like

Not as much as he beeds a barber:open_mouth:

Not so cynical, but I agree debatable.
Some recording houses, one or two especially from the US west coast come to mind. They do seem to give plausible reasons as to why their recordings are more expensive than others. But what I don’t understand is why, when the master tape is finalised, that the various format codec prices vary. e.g. 24/96 (WAV or FLAC) = $20, 24/192 = $30, DSD64 = $30, DSD128 = $40. It cost no more to make & transmit the various format versions from the original master.

Audiophile recordings are one thing, but the prices of the cable boys take the biscuit. Gullible or what ??

4 Likes

Gosh he’s really let himself go since 3 men and a baby.

.sjb

10 Likes

Anything cut direct to vinyl.

2 Likes

This Chesky recording sounds good imo.

It has some of the same realness as the Carmen Gomes recording.

Even though I think the two one point stereo recordings I mentioned above are marvelous, I still think that Steve got it wrong.
That would mean that this DXD recording is not audiophile:

Witmer Trio ‘‘FREE’’

Check the liner notes;

We believe a high-resolution recording starts with craftsmanship. Creating this recording was all about carefully adapting the equipment to the hall, the musicians and the compositions. The close collaboration between artists, sound engineer and producer has culminated in a download that pays homage to the artistry of high resolution recordings.

“I love the sound of MCO’s Studio 2 and the sound that recording engineer Frans De Rond creates in that hall. So when arranging the songs for this album, I tried to hear in my mind not only the sound of the trio but also how that sound would interact with the hall. It was initially a new way of thinking, but actually surprisingly easy once I got used to the idea. After all, I know how Maarten will sound when playing a certain groove, and how that will blend with Han’s bass line. Now all I had to do was to envision that sound in the hall of Studio 2. I decided to add strings on a number of songs. I first thought of a small string orchestra but after a bit of experimentation I opted for just two violin parts, in order to keep the sound as intimate as possible as well as being able to clearly position the instruments in the stereo field.”
Cajan Witmer

When creating the sound stage, Frans spent a great deal of time getting the balance of the Witmer Trio as optimal as possible using the ambient microphone stereo pair, before adding the spot microphones. The benefit of this approach is that you can actually see the trio in front of you between the speakers. We wanted to create a sound field that was intimate but also had enough depth to reflect a visual representation of the instruments. When creating the sound stage, Frans spent a great deal of time getting the balance of the Witmer Trio as optimal as possible using the ambient microphone stereo pair, before adding the spot microphones. The benefit of this approach is that you can actually see the trio in front of you between the speakers. We wanted to create a sound field that was intimate but also had enough depth to reflect a visual representation of the instruments."

1 Like

Answer to the original question: an audiophile recording is a recording of someone, or made by someone, who loves sound. The term is meaningless insofar as sound quality is concerned, although the marketing is presumably supposed to suggest that it is a recording where the fidelity to the original sound is of the highest.

2 Likes

It is pretty close to a one mic approach ;

1 Like

And it does sound lovely. Downloaded it in hi rez. Played it this am. “Sparkling”. Pretty “Convincing”

Bailyhill

On the
https://Carmengomes.bandcamp.com site
you can buy the 44.1 download for $8 insted of the 10 you pay for the 96. at
Sound Liaison

She also sells the CD version for $10 via the BandCamp site.

Yes it is close but according to Steve G it is not, as it is more than one mic and it is not live…
anyway both downloads are on special offer for the next 24 hours.
And both downloads, the one mic Carmen Gomes and the multi mic Witmer trio, are, in my opinion, the very best high end has to offer, excellent music supremely well recorded.
Witmer trio, Carmen Gomes.

Actually I find that a more fruitful discussion would be to talk about the difference between the 2 recordings. They both sound very good but yet the sound stage is very different. And the drum sound is very different.

Yes and Sound Liaison actually asked for feedback on the One Mic recording.
I have suggested that they should continue with this approach to recording as I find the result utmost rewarding.

1 Like

And in a way The Witmer trio sounds more ‘‘clean’’ or maybe it is also because of the choice of instruments. An electric guitar has more ‘‘twang’’

This is on the Sound Liaison YouTube channel but not in the online store.I guess it is a coming release. The sample sounds very good.

It has been released this weekend.
This album fits Steven Gutenberg’s demands to a T.
It’s a one point stereo recording, it’s live, and recorded with state of the art equipment and the sound as well as the music is superb.

https://www.soundliaison.com/

1 Like

I agree the music & recording fits the audiophile bill. Unfortunately the metadata track number tags are missing. I’ve e-mailed Frans & he’s responded & we’ve agreed the problem. I expect the file if not already corrected will get done any-time-soon

1 Like