What the hell is an audiophile recording?

or Schubert :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve always wanted to hear Schubert performing Winterreise? Where can I find a recording?

Because it’s singer/songwriter, not singers/songwriters. The singer/songwriter may have a backup band (e.g. Neil Young’s band Crazy Horse) but there is one principal. On the other hand, all of their solo albums would fall into the category of singer/songwriter.

By the way, there are plenty of singer/songwriters today. Billie Eilish comes to mind. But there are plenty others who may not make the charts but do make great music. Try listening to WFUV.

Hmm. That seems to be a distinction without any useful meaning, to me. I certainly don’t see it as a useful grouping for a genre. You could have a singer/songwriter who does jazz, another who does blues, another who does folk and another who does R&B. I’m not sure of the benefit of lumping them all together simply because the performer also wrote the music and lyrics. For me, ‘genre’ implies the style of music, something to do with the chord progressions, key etc.

I would say that the term is mostly used for singers in the pop/rock/folk world. See the examples in the @Christian post above.

1 Like

**The album is nominated for album of the year at https://www.nativedsd.com/news/2022-album-of-the-year-nominations-part-3-of-3/

[quote=“Christian, post:301, topic:1195, full:true”]

One of the year’s best-selling albums at NativeDSD this year, Ray! rocketed up our Top Selling DSD Best Sellers chart in days and dominated the best sellers list for weeks and weeks. The album stars the popular and talented Carmen Gomes and her ensemble. Gomes uses the album to put her distinctive vocals and style on favorites including The Sun Is Gonna Shine Again, Georgia On My Mind, Willow Weep For Me and Makin’ Whoopee. Recorded in Stereo DXD and mastered to Analog Tape, this album is one you will savor again and again.
– Brian Moura

This thread should be renamed by “ What’s the hell is Carmen Gomes music? “ :joy::joy:

1 Like

This is an incredible recording, lovely music too even though I don’t understand a word of it!

5 Likes

This is exceptionally good:

3 Likes

Hoes_Growing_Up_front_2022
This one fits the bill and sounds fantastic, one mic- to multi-mic on one album;
Growing Up - Simon Rigter plays ballads

1 Like

+1; fantastic album

Julia Sarr. Wonderful voice and very nice recording. 16/48 Qobuz.

3 Likes

Very nice music and yes: a beautiful voice. Wonderful recording. Thank you.

1 Like

Qobuz hires.

2 Likes

There is an interesting interview with the producer/engineer team from the label on the Native DSD site.

Which would lead us to this fantastic album:

2 Likes

I don’t think that Schubert cut a master of his performance of his own ‘Winterreise’. But, in his absence, you could reach for the next best thing - Hans Hotter singing the last of his (five?) recordings of the work, with (inevitably) Gerald Moore on piano - an equal partner, rather than mere accompanist.

It was last out on a CD in EMI’s Great Recordings Of The Century series.

I wish that EMI would re-release it as an LP - a half speed remastering on 180g vinyl would be lovely.

An extraordinary record.

1 Like

Great album indeed!

1 Like

When I made my way through the Decca Analog Box, I was stopped in my tracks by this:

I was unfamiliar with the music, which was nothing special. But the sound quality was incredible.

As I should have expected. Vinyl versions have been on The Absolute Sound’s list of best sounding albums for decades. Googling will reveal quite a few audiophile pressings. I saw a two-disc 45 RPM version going for $500. All I had was a CD, but it was excellent.

As I said, I didn’t think that much of the music. That was until I saw the ballet by the Royal Ballet on Blu-Ray. It’s probably the funniest ballet I’ve ever seen. And the music fit perfectly.

1 Like

The Carmen Gomes album is also available on Lp and Tape as Carmen Gomes sings Belafonte;
https://www.rhapsodyanalogrecordings.com/master-tape-catalog/carmen-gomes-inc/

I have the digital version;
a2564954823_2 -carmen-gomes-sings-the-blues

2 Likes