What the hell is an audiophile recording?

Yes I definitely hope for more One Mic recordings from the label, there’s something very special going on there, complete phase coherency?, but I also think that the Witmer Trio recording is fabulous so, I’d prefer if they would continue with both types;

https://www.soundliaison.com/

It most certainly does!
An amazing recording, absolutely amazing. They just keep getting better.

1 Like

Found it.

G

2 Likes

? audiophile:grinning:?

Absolutely. I really like almost everything they have produced so far.
And I think the Witmer trio album is an incredibly well sounding album.
But the Feenbrothers…there is something very special going on there…whew.

A shame their download speeds are so poor for a 352k quality file of 5.4Gb it will take over 4 hours because it seems to be throttled at about 370kb/sec :frowning:

1 Like

Somebody tell Steve Guttenberg:grinning:
I downloaded the Flac, no problems, it went smoothly.

The Witmer album is more produced. What is special about The Feen Brothers is that phase coherency I guess. It is as if you are standing right in front of the band.

here is an interesting list;
Winners of the Grammy Award for Best Engineered Album;
https://hifireference.com/audiophile-albums/

1 Like

I hope that the following questionnaire will help:

1. Is the featured artist someone who you have never heard of?
  2. Are they playing an instrument that looks impossible to tune, much less play?
  3. Does the featured artist spell their name in an unusual way?
  4. Was the recording released by an obscure record label?
  5. Does the music contained in the recording celebrate the cultural diversity of an indigenous people or their country of origin?
  6. Was the recording made using a restored vintage analogue R2R recording device, e.g. Nagra, Studer?
  7. Is the music contained in the recording wholly inappropriate for dancing?
  8. Would you have no wish to see the featured artist in live performance?
  9. Does the featured artist have facial hair? (Please note that this question is also applicable to female artists)
  10. Is it likely that, having listened to the recording once, you would never play it again?
  11. Would the featured artist be unlikely to release a ‘Greatest Hits’ album?
  12. Does the recording enable you to focus on the more detailed mid-range of your most recent system upgrade?

If you can answer ‘Yes’ to six or more of these questions, then you are probably dealing with a genuine audiophile recording. Take comfort in the knowledge that you probably have a great hi-fi system. If not, just file it in the ‘Redundant’ category of your music library, alongside ‘Kind Of Blue’ by Miles Davis

5 Likes

Good points:grinning:
but ‘‘Kind of Blue’’ ‘Redundant’? !!! ???

I think he’s being sarcastic - at least I hope he is :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is a recording of auiophiles in their natural habitat. You can hear some softjazz female singing in the background accompanied by the distant noise of a record cleaner. During mating seasin there are rituals where they allow their snaics and burndys to touch each other - once. There have also been rumours of a more sinister character out in the woods at night with chanting and the burning of Stock, Aitken and Watermans Greatest Hits.

4 Likes

Or maybe not and I´m just getting old…:unamused: but you would think that with a name like Jazzman at least he could suggest an alternative to Kind of Blue…

There is only a couple of days left of the introduction offer of this highly recommendable completely phase coherent album.

1 Like

I know there’s a Dutch studio that does exclusively Hi-end audio recordings: TRPTK (trptk.com). There’s others like them out there too.

1 Like

TRPTK, Native DSD, Sound Liaison and a few more all very good and all are Dutch.

Here is a fine Chesky album recorded in bin-aural, a bit similar approach as the one mic approach from Sound Liaison.
This one sounds best on headphones;

Even if if the person in question who loves sound makes a highly compressed screetchy recording? I suppose its all music like its all art as long as it makes an impression?

Hi Jazzman
How about you post some suggestions for great sounding non audiophile recordings with artist we have heard off?

3 Likes