What the hell is an audiophile recording?

Examples please:slightly_smiling_face:

i have one. Sheffield lab is ( or was?) specialized in direct to lp albums. The sound is very good indeed. But the catalog very disappointing for my tastes.

2 Likes

Every album or cd I have bought and listened to for the first time.
Usually takes me 3 or 4 listens to determine if it’s any good or just how special it is.
Those first couple of listens I generally find myself listening to how it sounds - rather than what’s going on in relation to the sounds relevance. Then later listening for that something behind what it sounds like. If that makes sense.
Many have disappointed on first listen but are just flawless once those flaws are somehow connected to the music and meaning.
Others have excited me on first listen but disappoint later as the sounds are not connected to anything other than just how it sounds.
There are of course those that sound great and use that to create a great connection to the music.

1 Like

An audiophile recording is the one you are willing to pay more for it, the rest are just good or bad recordings.

1 Like

Apart from the Sheffield labs ones, I have a Nitin Shawney one and a George Clinton one which was crowd funded a couple of years ago.

CD is selling for $57! https://www.amazon.com/Discovered-Again-Dave-Grusin/dp/B000008B3X

i have the original lp. Paid around 30 euros ten years ago.

on Discogs you have NM copies between 10 and 20 dollars. cd for 15 euros. Amazon curious price.

1 Like

One of the best over all SQ albums I’ve heard, was an album recorded straight to tape. What I was listening too was a 1. generation copy of the master tape played on a Studer tape recorder.
They also made an an LP from the tape but the tape was sounding better to my ears that the LP.

Another idea - maybe a recording made by an audiophile?

2X 45rpm. groove note.

2 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

Just bought the newly released high res Sara K. This sounds very very good

4 Likes

1 Like

But what do you mean with ‘‘newly released’’?
have they been remastered?

If there is no agreed manufacturing standard or minimum industry standard , then it’s marketing term

Many years ago I got free Cds of Naim Label and Linn recordings. Both recordings were very well recordings but the marked difference was that on Naim Label the music was in majority pretentious to show off the style of recordings and gave very little in musical enjoyment while Linn was so rich in different genres of music and offered a involving musical experience. I cannot speak for nowadays but back in those days the difference was so marked but I did appreciate the efforts Naim went to make the recordings in the studio. To answer the op’s question both Naim and Linn were audiophile recordings but one contained boring music and the other contained involving music.

I don’t know it seems they are offered first time for n high res…