What to Do With All the Ripped CD"s

2 Likes

Three way check. Used Record Collector to identify someone local to me who could value the whole thing from viewing them using my Excel spreadsheet. He picked out individual items of worth and gave exact or minimum prices on those. Also used friend of a friend who runs a record shop and finally one of two friends who runs a business selling used music etc. Have recently discovered another friend now does the same.

1 Like

The law varies from country to country, so could be different in Canada. Most states in EU have a private copy extension, so making a rip for playing on a streamer at home should be legal. This was actually the case in the U.K. for a short time until the High Court overturned it.

For me, the issue is one of morality rather than legality. I view making and keeping a rip and then selling the CD as theft, so my CDs are stored away in the garage.

Roger

1 Like

Thanks Mike, my Dad sadly passed away and left quite a few CDs and LPs. I want to ensure my Mum doesn’t get fleeced.

1 Like

But how does anyone who buys a CD from you know if you have made a copy or rip of it?

It is theft (of copyright material) by the person keeping the rip, not the person buying the CD from them, so knowledge on the part of the buyer is irrelevant!

Putting morals aside, there is no way to police this.

It is unfortunate to confuse theft and copyright infringement. They are different and rightly so.

It can be policed. The copyright owner can ask you to show them the original cds you have ripped copies of. Or in the UK if they find you have any ripped cd files then that is proof of an infringement.

However the record companies and copyright owners know it is not cost effective to sue individuals as the damages would be minimal and a lot less than their legal costs. It is a civil matter, not a criminal one, so the police are not interested.

Well here’s hoping you find some gems in there.

1 Like

I highly doubt that Neil Young or Roger Waters are going around banging on doors, demanding to check people’s hard drives. It does not affect me anyway, since I keep all my CD’s for the Mercedes.

1 Like

Even in the UK I expect that they would need some kind of warrant.

No. They just sue you. You can then either prove you have the CDs or not. You are the person most likely to have the proof of innocence.

Of course, as I mentioned earlier, although it is a civil wrong, it is not worth the right holders time and costs in practice to pursue you.

I hope that in the UK you need grounds so sue someone

I mentioned earlier that I would definitely not sell Indie stuff or the like, but really, if we can all afford to own Naim kit, then it’s pretty obvious that we really don’t need the money from CD sales, and what other reason for selling is there.
So yeah, just keep 'em, or give them to your siblings.
Or I guess one could sell them and give the proceeds to charity …

You can issue a writ in the UK quite cheaply. You have to make a statement of case. It is for the court to decide if you have sufficient “grounds” - for example an arguable case.

You don’t need any evidence of wrongdoing whatsoever? Sounds more like Saudi Arabia than the UK

What’s wrong with giving things to charity shops so that monies are made to support a good cause?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.