What to do with all those CDs?

I have a three tier system…

1. Stacked within the listening room before…
  2. Gets put in a cardboard box stacked under the stairs before…
  3. Final destination up in the loft.
4 Likes

Thanks for that link, @Alley_Cat - what a shame that they’re completely recyclable but it’s very economically unviable to do so.

Good to know that 1980s pressings are starting to get valuable - I’ve picked up several of these for pennies over the years after finding that their latter-day counterparts either sound dreadful after being brickwalled in the remastering process or have had all sorts of copy protection sneakily added so I can’t rip them for use in the car.

Mark

CDs are made of polycarbonate, which is recyclable, however what limits their construction with the metallic layer and different plastic top layer places on that I don’t know.

But I know the ‘jewel cases’ are recyclable: I have a pair of external gate/doors made of them, and great tgey are too, much better than wood.

1 Like

I put my discs in my archive after I’ve ripped them to the HDX as a “hard copy” backup.

Without them ugly jewel cases they do not “clog” up my cupboards when storing them in plastic archiving/library sleeves.

Oh, pictures please!

3 Likes

Not as exciting as you think! The CD cases are recycled by a company called Kedel (in the North East) to make polystyrene planks and battens etc to use as replacement for timber, and dyed black (they also do ptimary red yellow blue and green in some products, and brown). Black suits our house. They also have other plastic timber-substitute products with from different types of plastic, with characteristics better suited to other things.

Using tongue & groove planks plus square edge battens I’ve made “ledge and brace” door/gates. They were assembled entirely by glueing, so they much more weather resistant than the rotten wooden ones they replaced. We live in a very windy and wet location, where wood needs very frequent maintenance. Making myself they cost about the same as buying ready-made ledge & brace gates of medium quality and hopefully will last many tomes as long, as well as requiring no maintenance other than to the hinges and catches, and periodically removing bird splats and moss from the north facing side.

They’re a bit over 5 years old now:

image image image

5 Likes

Actually IB, I would have to disagree with you there.
I think it is quite exciting. And no, I’m not some kind of tree hugging, dirt munching druid (although I am a supporter of the WWF)!
Any innovation that does it’s bit in reducing plastic pollution has to be applauded.
More power to people that can think ‘outside the box’ like this.

By not so exciting I only meant it is not going to look like a construction of transparent jewel cases all assembled together into a gate! It just looks like a gate!

And what exactly is wrong with Druids?

They don’t have Naim systems!

1 Like

Someone has started a new thread on this same topic - it may be worth checking that one out as it couldn’t be merged with this one:

I have expensive cd box sets. They are LP size boxes. They look
Nice on display. People think they are records.

I know. Seems such a shame to not have them all on display. If I had the space I would.

Pictures, please, @Brian1 - we need some home decor inspiration!

Mark

All of my CDs (and SACDs and DVD-A’s) are ripped. I would never give them up, firstly because of a potential bad rip and secondly because - well, I just like having them. As a practical matter I don’t have space to store the jewel cases in my apartment, so they are stored in 100 disc binders. I listen mostly to classical, so I have quite a few box sets, and those discs remain in their original packaging. I’ve been purchasing a downloads more frequently during the past year. I also have a subscription to Tidal.

many cds are more expensive than vinyl. example mosaic jazz box sets. also Bear family
box sets.

I sold a lot of cds i also do not have a lot of room.

I have Only a few records left. So i put them on display they look good.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.