What was the first vinyl you bought

In my defence this album vied with the Beatles White album, The soundtrack of the Jungle Book, and my sister’s copy of David Bowie’s Hunky Dory as most played and most revered by very young yours truly.

3 Likes

My only excuse is that I was still at school and didn’t know any better. It was Classical Gas by Mason Williams and The Good, The Bad & The Ugly.

1 Like

The first record I acquired, bought for me by my parents

and the first record I bought myself

Great memories.

7 Likes

If were getting into confessionals, '73 my first record was the above posted Beatles Collection Of Oldies, then somehow in '74 I ended up loving this (cringe)
R-1646757-1341817471-7205.jpeg
:heart:

3 Likes

Someone mentioned 7" singles.
My Mum used to manage a local pub and regularly used to bring home the used records from the Juke Box. Boxes full of them, sadly dont have them anymore.

Two memorable ones being Thin Lizzy (who I became a big fan of and saw live when I was older) Whiskey In The JarR-477723-1387985114-1220.jpeg
And R Dean Taylor Theres A Ghost In My HouseR-725112-1332689319.jpeg
(Pics from Discogs)

1 Like

Yea, ok mine was really Garry Glitter - Leader of the Pack, but keep it to yourself. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

With my own pocket money bought from Woolworths.
Primarily because it included the theme from doctor who.
But some others that gives a comfy tingle when listened to. Ron was a quality artist.

2 Likes

I did have a GG LP, glad I never met him!

Remember it well, the big one near the Clock Tower on the site that’s now Boots, there was a big cinema there to IIRC, then it moved further up Queens Rd past Air St to a much smaller shop

First “proper” albums. I was really into Moog sound, I had a few lps of pop covers played on Moog, which have long since gone, Abbey Road is second pressing early 1970.

3 Likes

Ha ha. Glad I’m not alone Richard! Strength in numbers …

1 Like

The genuine first purchase aged about 8 and then the “real” first purchase when I was 13. 2 Classics!!:sunglasses:

11 Likes

Both good choices :ok_hand:

Used to love the Goodies - who remembers the Ecky Thump sketch?!

1 Like

To my shame I can still quote a full verse and chorus of “Do the funky gibbon”! :joy:

2 Likes

In the words of Ian Dury ’ its good to be a lunatic’!! :grin:

First single was either New Seekers - I’d like to teach the world to sing or Middle of The Road - Soley Soley.

First album Alvin Stardust - The Untouchable.

Bang goes any street cred I had!

4 Likes

This holds memories of some fine times in Tatsfield, Surrey. I had to buy my own copy, which I still have.

6 Likes

While the BBMT long player was the first album I ever owned, the first record I ever owned was this classic RAK single – with Suzi Q on bass and Chris Spedding on guitar – that I bought with my meagre pocket money in January 1974. I still have this one too.

9 Likes

918B00C3-9032-469C-8FF2-A03FADB89C48_4_5005_c
Bought with some 12th birthday money in November 1981

5 Likes