What was the first vinyl you bought

I think it was this…

10 Likes

Great choice. My surname is Slade and I used to get asked at school if I was related to the band. Obviously didn’t have the heart to tell them that none of the band members were called Slade :joy:

BBC Sound Effects - Death and Horror! A joint purchase with my brother (who now runs an Avid/ESR/MBL omni system)

4 Likes

First name… Ambrose…? :laughing:

2 Likes

You had to be the cool one didn’t you? We’re all buggering about with the Goodies etc :joy:

4 Likes

How did you know that???:rofl:

Average White Band ‘Pick Up The Pieces’ 45rpm on Atlantic.

2 Likes

1964, single Beatles “Can’t buy me love”, LP “Beatles for sale”, bought for me by my dad when they were released, I was 14 and had just started to play guitar (Watkins rapier 33) in schoolboy band.

2 Likes

First vinyl bought with my own money were two albums:
The Smiths first album, and Soul Mining by The The

Parents contributed to my very first album which was Pink Floyd’s Animals

2 Likes

1958 Duane Eddy - Have twangy guitar will travel

Regards,

Martin

2 Likes

That’s a very cool selection you have there Luke.

1 Like

A Night at the Opera. $11.50, just as it came out.

3 Likes

Ha ha, nothing to do with being cool, Neil, I was only 11. I just remember him being on TOTP and playing the drums very fast and the melody being very hummable. If I hadn’t bought Cozy, it would have been Mud’s “Tiger Feet”!

1 Like

Rolling Stones’ first album.

My parents had bought me The Beatles first album for Christmas, but then had made the fatal mistake of announcing that they quite liked the Fab Four.

'Nuff said, my pocket money was subsequently sunk into the Stones first offering, and the rest, as they say, is history. :wink:

The Dansette remained, from then on, Beatle free.

8 Likes

[John](https://www.discogs.com/John-Mayall-The-Blues-Alone/release/ [John](https://www.image .com/John-Mayall-The-Blues-Alone/release/2034381)

2 Likes

Oops! Butterfingers above, however you get the picture

My 1st vinyl was Electric Warrior by T Rex…totally fell out with them when they hit Glam Rock !!

First 7 inch was In a Broken Dream by Python Lee Jackson…

Brought up on a staple of my sisters Motown/Beatles and blues music too… oh and my Dads insane love of brass band stuff… there is a reason my musical tastes are so wide !!

For which I’m eternally grateful .

1 Like

“Seconds Out” for me, which, having been brought up on The Spinners (the Scouse ones), Mike Harding, Paddy Roberts, and my sister occasionally busting out some Elvis, was quite a departure. Suckered in by those 747 headlights on the cover. I’ve now re-bought it on heavyweight vinyl.

Had that Wombles album. Never bought Slade or Gary Glitter albums but saw Slade live, and they were brilliant. Ended the set with a toilet roll fight. Long before COVID lockdown…

2 Likes

First actual record I bought was a 45 in 1972, Thin Lizzy Whiskey in the Jar. Bought in Woolworths for my sister for Xmas. The first album bought for myself I think was a Sabbath album, probably Paranoid

3 Likes

Judas Priest 7” Hell Bent for Leather EP in 1983, my first LP purchase was Dire Straits’ debut for which I had a dose of buyers remorse at the time ( no Spotify to listen first), but I love it now…

1 Like