What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2022?

Thanks for the tips @HappyListener much appreciated.

Apols, another thing ā€“ I would just undo the cells to the point where the speaker ā€˜floatsā€™ and then (of course) adjust the cells with a spirit level on top of the speakers. If you undo the cells to the max you hear a click as, I suspect, a thread runs out. One of my cells seized (Iā€™m 99% sure my own fault) and was replaced ā€“ an easy DIY job.

Iā€™ve got an uneven slightly sloping floor (1960s build :scream:), so the cells help take this out (just!).

:+1:

Replacing a raspberry pi 4. So far the difference in sound quality is subtle, but look forward to do more comparing over the weekend.

A bit more info you may find useful.

You do get a setup sheet and special spanner with the podiums. Definitely worth reading before you start.

First thing is to level the podium with the feet , not using the load cell adjustment knobs. This initial step is where you allow for an uneven floor. Then you can fit the speakers and complete setup of the individual pods.

I fitted small coloured dots to the pods knobs as it made it easy to count degrees of adjustment to get the balance correct.

I also removed my speaker spikes and used some very thin felt pads between the speaker base and podium.

Thanks @Folkman all advice useful and of course much appreciated. Looking forward to getting them and trying them out.

A couple of RCA to BNC S/PDIF cables from Designacable. Well made and decently priced.

4 Likes

Linn RCAā€™s to Devialet?
What you got the other end of those new digitial ICā€™s

Yep ā€“ Silvers to the amp. Theyā€™ll do the job before I moved to balanced cables and a new power amp (whatever that will be). Nothing exciting at the end of the new cables, just a DVD player and a Sonos Connect.

I realised the other day that the Linn supports an IR remote so itā€™s now fully integrated in with our Harmony remote, something I lost with the Zigbee remoted NDX2. Mrs n is pleased !

Iā€™d pondered a Klimax DSM + ATC actives. I always liked the idea of just having the speakers in the listening space and everything else tucked away, I can sort of do that in my music room. The stuff of daydreams :partying_face:
Curious if youā€™d thought about going active as you mentioned changes to the power amp, I guess youā€™re happy with your speakers enough to not be looking anyway.

1 Like

I am so taken in with the Norma IPA-140, I decided to go all in and ordered their reference DAC-1. Will be interesting to compare it to the TT2/Mscaler but I suspect it should be up to the task and I might even prefer it.

In other interesting news, finally reinstated a pair of Kudos Super 10 with a set of Track Audio stands. Best Iā€™ve ever heard these speakers. Super nice synergy with the Norma. Most musical kit Iā€™ve ever had the pleasure of owning.

Iā€™ve only read about the Norma Ants, it gets rave reviews and beautifully built by the looks of it, great little Italian company

I know Bob the guy that owns Neat speaker company had a pair of Neats ( canā€™t remember what model) hooked up to the smaller Norma 70 at hifi show couple of years back, he says itā€™s excellent and in some ways preferred it to the bigger 140 with speakers used

Would love to hear both as Iā€™m thinking a rival for the Supernait 3. I believe here in Australia they are available but maybe only one retail outlet in Melbourne so very limited

Thanks for your feedback great to hear from someone who has it

Iā€™ve heard both with Neat and Graham speakers and the IPA-70 is a very capable amplifier. There is more power with the bigger model but they both share the same sweet extended highs and take control of the lower end without any issues. I tried with the Majistra, Ministra and the newer Neat Petite 30 Anniversary. The latter are exceptional little speakers.

I owned a SN3 some years ago. Could not do a direct comparison but feel the IPA-70, which is very close in price as the SN3 in Canada offers sweeter highs and is more transparent. It is not a pipe and slippers type of presentation.

Very interesting feedback Ants , thanks

Iā€™m currently using the SN3 with the Petite 30ā€™s , they are a great speaker , I did have the Ministraā€™s which were very good but I prefer the wider soundstage of the Petiteā€™s and to me a slightly overall better integrated sound

I must try and track down the Norma amps even if I have to jump on a plane and head to Melbourne

Cheers

Yes, thatā€™s a nice setup which would make a lot of sense. Iā€™d love a pair of SCM50ASL but that would need a change of layout to our lounge. I did listen to the Kii3 and D&D 8C speakers a few years back. Very impressive, particularly with powerful internal DSP minimising the effects of the room.

The Titans are keepers though so itā€™ll be suitable amp(s) in front of these. I suspect Iā€™ll end up going down the Linn / Chord route unless Naim come out with anything interesting in the near future. I have no problem with SMPS powered amps and having got used to kit that just goes into sleep / standby mode when itā€™s not being used seems quite sensible with energy prices as they are. Itā€™s very easy to go active with the Titans so thatā€™s always an option in the future.

I have room for four boxes so never say neveršŸ˜€

1 Like

Iā€™ll keep you posted, thereā€™s a nice black DSM ex demo thatā€™s accessible and local, no harm just trying is there? :relaxed:
My reasoning here being my Selekt DSM in my office is the system I use daily and frequently, I can set that up with XLR pre outs to active speakers as well.

2 Likes

I cannot describe the uplift I got to my Titans when I went Exakt recently. It really is a staggering improvement and I still only have 4 boxes (6 if you include LP12 and Radikal). SO+ is available on the Titans I recommend a demo. It takes a bit of setting up, but once there it is magical, and Iā€™m only playing with Akurate level and Katalyst. I am looking to order a NG Klimax Hub before the year is out though :wink:

1 Like

Active Exakt crossovers is this with external power amps?

Yes. 1x DSM, 1x Exaktbox, 1x A4200 and 1x A2200.

I can see the appeal of the Kudos with Exakt active, that level of configurability and in a simple setup is very appealing.
Iā€™m heading more towards even simpler with ATC activeā€™s and DSM as Pre/Source.