What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2022?

Just collected this 202/200 combo, i’m trying this in the basement system like Nait XS alternative without HC DR for the moment. i have resurrected these venerable Audiotech Tables ( i’m owning since late '80s) The Fraim rack is undergoing a sort of refurbishment.
L to R we have DVD5 - CD5XS Panasonic DVD player 202 200.
The initial hassle was that the 202 being spanking new, still with factory seals, i took for granted that was set with Din input. Instead the CD one was on Pin/Rca and spent a good part of the evening in a state of embarassement to undertand why it was deadly silent.
Btw with a quick test, i unexpectedly found a nice deal of improvement in refinement, details and richness compared with bare Nait XS

12 Likes

Degritter record cleaner.
Fantastic machine, worth the price.

1 Like

Well, the Tabs have been in position since Friday evening and during that time been on TV duties as well as music, so have probably had around 30hrs on them. Its fair to say I’m really enjoying them. In many ways reminiscent of the sound I miss since moving my SBL’s on.
Late night listening has also been possible at lower volumes without me thinking I’m missing something. Highly recommend.

18 Likes

Now you just need some decent stands.

1 Like

Karousel went in today. Nice upgrade that didn’t break the bank.

1 Like

I rather like the wood stands/bases…

1 Like

A floor standing version of the Tablette 10 would be rather nice. Small, easy to position…

1 Like

Been looking but can’t make my mind up on which ones! Also the oak pillars are doing a grand job. :flushed:

3 Likes

I used a pair of of Falcon LS3/5a stands when I had my Tab 10’s and they are a perfect fit of course. In fact I still use them with my PMC 25.21’s and they look and sound wonderful. Just another suggestion to add to your shortlist!

1 Like

They look great and no doubt solid. Be interesting what improvement there is using metal ones if any. Also rather good that you can’t see the cable dangling behind.

2 Likes

Just had a quick search and they appear to be £900!

My recall is that they did Mini Towers in about 1990 which were exactly that, James, though with an extra bass unit.

2 Likes

Yes certainly better than the T5’s. I consider them to be in totally different league. Not sure if you will hear a night and day difference between the two when compared via the 272 but they will be better. My advice would be to borrow a pair for a full weekend and listen to them a lot and get use to them . Make sure they have had at least 100hrs of use. Don’t listen to your T5’s at all until you have returned the Lirics and see if you miss them.
I find and think the worst way to demo anything is to keep swapping and changing over short periods.
It’s as if they named them Liric because the lyrics along with music are so much more clearer on everything that you listen to. I love them and think you will struggle to find anything as good for the money. Big bonus for me is that they fit completely over my ears, are comfortable, don’t leak much sound and are not as hot to wear as the T5’s over long periods. I tried them on my 272 and they sounded ok but to be honest the headphone amp in the 272 is not really good enough for the lirics to perform and sound their best
I’m quite lucky in that my local dealer in Bedfordshire is more than happy to let me borrow and try anything at home and over the last few months I tried numerous pairs of headphones and found the Lirics to sound the best with my Feliks headphone amp.
It’s when you get a dedicated headphone amp that you really start to appreciate how good music can sound on headphones.
I had my headphone amp plugged into the 272 for a few years and was happy enough. When I replaced it with a NDX2 it is was a nice result that the headphone amp and headphones performed even better.

1 Like

You’re right Chris. I never knew that :+1:

5 Likes

They are! A couple of years ago Falcon were selling some as seconds ( they said it was the wrong type of powder coating to the normal type but they look immaculate to me) for £300 so I bought a pair. Just looked and no longer available. I agree that £900 stands for £1500 speakers is v silly - hey ho!

(They are beautifully made though)

1 Like

Atacama do a new Nexxus stand that can be specified with a top place specifically designed for the T10. There is also the Custom Design, which can have a smaller top. Falcon had a batch of stands with the wrong finish that they sold cheap but they are sadly long gone. You’ll find that more open stands give a more open and dynamic sound than very heavy blocks of wood, so it’s worth some effort I think.

1 Like

I use Custom Design FS104 for Tab 10/Sig. The central pillar mass loaded with Atabytes.

G

12 Likes

Didn’t realise they came in different colours, they look great with the white Proacs! (FS103s here)

Thanks. I had 103 to start with but didn’t find them rigid enough. My dealer agreed and I got a straight swap for the 104.

G

1 Like

Look great.

I’m sort of imagining you’ve a pal in trackside maintenance! :wink:

1 Like