What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2022?

The EE8 is very similar to the Omnia SW-8 which is based on the SA (Bonn) switch.

They say on their website

NuPrime licenses Omnia SW-8 from Thunder Data Co. Ltd., maker of Bonn N8. Omnia SW-8 differs from Bonn N8 with an upgraded low noise power supply and aluminum chassis.

Sounds like the EE8 :thinking:

3 Likes

“Designed in California and built in Taiwan, the Omnia SW-8 delivers exceptional results at a remarkable price.”

More expensive than both the SA & EE.

G

Yep, strange pricing particularly as the EE8 chucks in a C Stream cable too.

2 Likes

The Weiss DAC 501 is incredible. And I don’t often through words like that around. I had no expectations going into my demo session with it and was immediately struck by how resolving it is. Natural with tonnes of detail.

I have been a long-time user of a TT2/Mscaler combo and this DAC is now in my system. The TT2 is gone, and adding the mscaler to the Weiss DAC - well let’s just say, I have reached the end game.

Add the mscaler into the equation and it not only brings more detail but an analogue tone that is to die for. Yes, it is a lot of money, but it also provides a great headphone output, DSP/Equalizer settings (if that is your thing), its Roon Ready…and more

I have not stopped listening to music since it arrived.

This has been the most moving addition to my system in a very, very long time.

4 Likes

One thing is sure, the EE8 switch has a better casing, to damp vibrations.

1 Like

Damn!! Im going to have to wait quite a while to see what 2ndhand prices might be like and try and have a listen.

1 Like

Thanks. I was pleased with how it turned out and it’s serving me well so far!

Just received (yesterday) the AYA 5 dac - vintage TDA1541A chip. When it is properly implemented = wow! Very quiet and analogue sounding (to my ears) . Early days…:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

9 Likes

So there is some confusion in our house… :man_shrugging:t2:

After auditioning the 250DR for some 10 days, I was (and still am) hugely impressed by its performance as I reported. When the demo unit went back, my own 200 took its place again and that’s were the confusion started.

A few day on, listening to the lovely curated Daily Discovery playlist on Tidal, my wife popped the question that I was silently ignoring. Out of the blue; “Are you sure you want that other amp?”… Inside my head it was like ‘d*mn, so it’s not just me’ but I only said “why?” Still hanging on to my about to order new amp. Financials all worked out etc.
Her sobering answer was “I like this one bettter”… :grimacing:

That was exactly what I did not wanted to hear because I was struggling with the same question. It’s easy to sum up all the things the 250DR does better as it’s virtually everything. Like I reported. But there are just two things that carry a lot of weight… as it turns out.

With all its shortcomings next to the 250DR, the 200 sounds more alive and engaging. More foot tapping, more energetic and quicker on its feet than the big, bold, somewhat ‘heavy’ sound of the 250 (in our room, with our speakers etc. etc). It’s amazing that both of us - coming from a very different level of interest (she has nothing with hifi) - ended up with the same conclusion. Independent of each other.

For me, the 200 has always been a great match with the SF Guarneri’s and this still seems to hold up. So I’ll leave the amp upgrade for now and investigate if want to keep the SFs first. They’re creeping up to 14 years old so I want to re-calibrate with some of todays compact two-ways. On my shortlist are:

• Kudos Titan 505
  • Vivid Audio Kaya 25
  • Marten Oscar Duo
  • B&W 805 D4

Richard

9 Likes

Maybe see what an XPS DR or 555DR brings to your system first.

With a 282/HiCap/250DR the NDX2 would be best paired with a suitable power supply to lift its performance to complement the better amp.

3 Likes

Well i borrowed a Melco D100 over Xmas, not expecting too much. But i much prefer the more natural presentation of the Melco rip to a download or my previous Uniti Core rips. Yes expensive, but to me is an extension of source first. Ordered on Saturday, collected from Signals this morning, just burning it in ? Rest of system off due to the odd power cut last night, hopefully they have it sorted, but will wait until tonight to turn back on.

10 Likes

Blimey Gazza, are you going to re-rip all your CDs with the Melco D100?

Yep………may take some time, oh and it is a slow ripper just to make it that bit more painful😁

1 Like

Are you going to wait until it’s fully burnt in before you start ripping with it?!

Well not sure there is a burn in………but if there is then once they are done it’s too late. Well i will wait a few days anyhow just in case, it turned up much sooner than i expected………i thought i might have to wait a few weeks, not a few days. So already ahead so to speak. Will then use my Plixir psu to power it rather than the Melco wall wart supplied.

1 Like

You don’t need a Melco, you need to redecorate. Borders are so last century. Strip it all off.

5 Likes

Ouch!
Do you two know each other?
:laughing:

If not, they do now.

1 Like

I hate decorating……waiting for it to come back in fashion….not long now😉

23 Likes

Of course.

1 Like