What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2022?

I’m a bit disappointed to hear that the Melco is quite a bit better than the Uniti Core. I guess it just proves that there are better options out there. Are they Roon ready?

Yes they are roon ready. It should be better Mike at £7k versus the Core at £2k. The software as i have mentioned before is not great and does need some PC skills to master it. The best software was Innuos sense. IMO the Core is a great product for the money.

1 Like

I really wouldn’t worry about it, Mike. The Melco is positively cheapo next to the £25,000 Taiko that Thomas uses. I and some others found that a plain old Nas can sound better than a UnitiServe. A lot of stuff like this appeals to people’s tendency to buy something expensive on the belief that it must be better. Servers are a great opportunity to do this - put the same bits you’d find in a nas or a £50 ripper in a fancy box, square or cube the price and off you go. You also get a lot more Forum adulation if you buy one.

3 Likes

Agree Gazza - core does it for me and has done since it came out

There is always something that is potentially better to some people ( and more expensive I might add) but frankly who cares

3 Likes

God you make me laugh. You were the bloke that insisted you needed a PS555 to make anything sound good. Now apparently that’s not the case, of course only after you downsized. Each day I wake up looking forward to another one of your groundbreaking and profound posts that shifts in opinions and wisdom. The forum would be lot less interesting without you.

27 Likes

I use a D100 ripper with a Sean Jacobs P/S ripping to a N10 and prefer the rips to Qobuz streams still. Rips vs HiRes streams are quite close but the rips are still better most of the time.

2 Likes

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::eyes:

2 Likes

The funny thing is @anon4489532 and @Pete_the_painter both your comments are true. You must see the funny side surely.

2 Likes

It’s good to spread a little cheer in these dark times. I’m not sure that adding Naim power supplies and buying fancy servers are remotely similar. But if it makes people happy, who cares?

2 Likes

You are right we all need a bit of humour in these trying times.

3 Likes

I’ve just got the A2. Was all set on a phoenix net but my dealer persuaded me to try this first, so far I’m impressed

But this does not seem to be optimal, or?:thinking:

20220224_100657

Having owned a Core (twice) and a D100, I could not, hand on my heart say that D100 rips sounds superior to me. However, in its defence, I used Roon software to perform the rips and these resided on a SSD in a Roon Nucleus. The Nucleus was also used for playback duties of the rips.
I guess it is as simple as this, you pays your money and you makes your choice. :blush:

1 Like

Pete, I had the Unitserve before. Then Melco N1a and now the N1z, hard drive. The N1a, around 2k euros, was a bit better vs the Unitserve, but not that much. The N1z I have, 5k, is really better. But you have to buy a separate ripper if you still want to rip. Melco does a relatively good one for 150 euros, if you don’t want to pay 1k for their top ripper.

2 Likes

Maybe because you use the Atom, which is not enough resolving to show the differences between both servers. Only my feeling.

Theres 2 Melco N1Z’s here one is $15,000 the other $7,800 here which is way more than I’d spend.

I’d be looking in the direction of Innuos, great products imo and a bit more reasonable

5 Likes

I left a very small gap between the lock nuts. Will try increasing and see if it makes any difference.

1 Like

I hope it does.

1 Like

The N1z 2x H60 is the one I have. It costs around twice the Uniticore here.