What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

Just arrived today: Lyra Atlas Lambda Mono cartridge. I plan to install it in the next day or so.

18 Likes

RICKIE LEE JONES Under The Boardwalk

3 Likes

From ‘Girl at Her Volcano’. Superb dynamics.

G

1 Like

ChordMusic din finally arrived :+1:

14 Likes

Replaced the beautiful Dynaudio Stands 20 (needed for the Heritage Specials in the main system) with the more appropriate Focal S900 stands, for my living room system. No way I could fit the power cables through the internal conduit, so I’ll have to cut them and add some aftermarket connectors.

The stands “sound” worse than the Dynaudios, are less stable, some threads were damaged from factory, there are no bags for sand filling, not to mention the tiny tinny 1cm diameter for the internal column. :rofl:

5 Likes

Are you saying the new Focals are worse, or the Dyns you replaced? Your post seems rather ambiguous in which you’re complaining about, at least to this old brain.

4 Likes

Err, is the result you were looking for?

1 Like

Mike have you posted a photo of your new ND555 although it’s hard to really see any difference.

It’d be so much better if Naim included a “hi res” badge on the front like other manufacturers. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Here you go :sunglasses:, having a good burn in now:

12 Likes

What are the for now major differences between the NDX2 setup and the ND555 you think?

General. I always found it strange with the wide screen Naim use which never support content for it. It’s bit like hey we have wide screen TVs but no content for it :woozy_face:

2 Likes

Be careful not to melt it :laughing:

1 Like

Sounds mighty great me think :sunglasses:

1 Like

You said in a previous life called Slamdam that you didn’t want to know how it sounded :sunglasses:

That was mini me. Give it to me!! :smile:

2 Likes

Well, firstly the burn-in is quite a roller coaster - more so than I recall with the NDX2. It varies between being quite stunning, and periods of being a bit bloated with a lose of cohesion. It’s about 1.5 weeks through burn-in, playing radio on mute - other threads mention 500 to 600 hours to come fully on song, so another 2.5 weeks or so to go…

So, when it’s stunning, it really is something special. There is the obvious lift in detail, but the takeaways for me are a much deeper and defined bass and a sparkly top end, massive soundstage in width, depth and presence right in the room, and the level of cohesion where you can follow every thread of music, the individual instrument and nuance in the vocals, even with very complex music.

Don’t demo unless you can afford.

7 Likes

Hi, purchased a nc250 a couple of weeks ago and was supposed to pick it up from my dealers a week Saturday gone. Unfortunately I have ended up in the hospital, got my wife to pick it up in the week. It is now sitting in the living room unopened waiting :disappointed:

5 Likes

Sorry to hear of your health woes.
Hopefully you’ll be home soon to enjoy your new 250🤞🏼

2 Likes

cable is out of the box, and it already makes that ND555 shine like a diamond. :wink:

3 Likes

There is no actual requirement to ‘upgrade’ Naim equipment - just pick what you want carefully in the first place.

I have no wish to change anything about my system, which is still substantially what I bought from Jude Martens and RayHorn at Grahams HiFi in Islington over thirty years ago.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear about the hospitalisation. Get home soon and enjoy the new 250.

3 Likes