What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

It’s also worth checking the length of the bolts - maybe Stephen could help here - you want them long enough to hold the speakers but not too long, in case they pierce the wood.

This is doubtless a silly question, but have you checked with the seller that they don’t have the bobbins somewhere and forgot to include them? Have you got the little black screws that go in the top of the stands?

No problem, happy to help here

11 Likes

Nice one👍

2 Likes

Audio Technica make some very nice cartridges, and they will fit the two forward mounting holes on the ARO headshell. I have a 760SLC, recommended by and ordered through Peter Swain of Cymbiosis. It’s rather more expensive than the price that you have indicated, but there may be others within their range that suit you.

1 Like

Very Nice

Re Nap300 cant wait to connect ,the highest level i have ever had in the the Naim power amp hierarchy is 250.2 / 135s .

5 Likes

Thanks! Very very helpful.

1 Like

Yes I have, the original owner has probably thrashed the metal spare parts with the boxes years ago.

The Sats still have the black screws in place, which may help with the gauge and perhaps the length, net of the extra 1.5 cm of the bobbins.

Thanks to all!

1 Like

While you search for the real thing it’s easy to use a regular bolt as a temporary solution. This worked fine for me for a couple of months. You’ll need M5 bolts if I remember correctly, 30 to 35mm long, each with a large washer to sit behind the stand.
Then you can agonise at your leisure over whether or not the genuine item will sound better. I’m pretty sure mine didn’t.

4 Likes

:slight_smile:
Thanks.

Peter has for sale some exdem 10x5’s.

In the short term why not buy a pair of guitar strap buttons.
Cheap fix and loads of styles and colour metal to choose from.
Google it and see what you think.
The only issue may be the bolt fitting through but you never know.

That’s another good idea, thanks.

I did exactly that! I actually have an aquarium, so the sand was already to hand, but you aren’t wrong about it requiring a little patience… I think it took me about 1.5 hours to 2/3 fill all six legs in the end. Very happy with the end result though. I quite like the aesthetics of the spikes, but they’re not really the most practical with my floor and the little pucks they sit in concern me with a dog and cat running around, so I may look into new feet. I wasn’t aware Gaia III’s were the same thread, so thanks for that.

1 Like

I think that the tightness of screw would have some difference in sound. Sort of like tuning a violin.

Is there a Naim recommended torque setting for sound quality? I don’t recall anything about this in the manual!

You have to adjust by ears.
I know Linn gives out a toque setting for say, Karousel and a friend once blue printed the torque setting for screws for the Sondek but at the end you have to tune via your ears.

1 Like

I only know of torque settings for woofers’ and tweeters’ bolts. I don’t think that tightening a little more or a little less the bolts that sit on the stands can have an audible effect. Anyway, I have Stephen_Tate’s suggestion of 3.6 Nm.

This reminded me of the time - a whole day, in the sunshine, sorting the powder grains from the shot when I sourced some lead shot from the local gun shop where they made up cartridges. Then add the time to dry the silver sand, also on trays in the sunshine, and then the time to fill two foot high Foundation stands, the ones with four legs between the plates, with shot for the first third, or maybe it was two thirds, and silver sand for the rest.

Probably settled by now and will need redoing.

I think the stands were 35A Designer Stands, and I still have them, and the boxes in the loft. Cost me fifty quid forty years ago!

After a couple of hours listening to my brand new NSS 333 together with the NPX 300 I’m very impressed. It’s much better than my beloved NDX 2. Deeper faster bass, bigger soundstage, overall better control. I’m really bad to
put it in words. I’ve just play 2-3 hours so I think it will be even better. My dealer demo the NSC 222 versus the NSS 333/NAC332 the 300 serie was much more better than the 200 than I thougt. We also listen to the NDX 2 vs. the NSC 222. I prefer the NDX 2 seven days a week. I’m sorry for my bad english.

20 Likes